Kryptonite U lock problem ...

Colin

Guest
I wonder if any of you might have some suggestions on a problem.
My son has a Kryptonite U lock locking the front wheel of his Zuma
moped and the lock key has broken off in the lock.
A local locksmith he contacted said they would be unable to cut the
lock off - they would have to cut the wheel instead.
Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?

Colin
Wisconsin

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:20:09 -0500, <[email protected]>,
"Colin" <[email protected]> wrote:
\
>A local locksmith he contacted said they would be unable to cut the
>lock off - they would have to cut the wheel instead.
>Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?

Your locksmith doesn't have an angle grider with cutting disc?
Call a plumber.
--
zk

"Colin" wrote: (clip) Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My neighor lost his key, so I cut the lock off with an oxy-acetylene torch.
You can buy a small grinder at Harbor Freight for under $20, and do it
yourself. Cutting the wheel? That's outrageous. Does he own a set if lock
picks, or just use a battering ram?

"Colin" wrote: (clip) A local locksmith he contacted said they would be
unable to cut the lock off - they would have to cut the wheel instead.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And how would that solve the problem? You would then have a ruined wheel
and a useless lock. And if the wheel was locked to the frame, you would
still have to get it off.

yup, grinder and some patience. If you can fit a small car scissor jack
in there, that can pop it. Just insert and crank. If you're feeling
edgy, you can try the liquid nitrogen/sledgehammer myth. Wear googles
if going this route. LOL

If it's a circular tumbler, just shove a white plastic Bic pen body in
there and twist.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Colin" wrote: (clip) Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?
> My neighor lost his key, so I cut the lock off with an oxy-acetylene torch.
> You can buy a small grinder at Harbor Freight for under $20, and do it
> yourself. Cutting the wheel? That's outrageous. Does he own a set if lock
> picks, or just use a battering ram?

I just cut one off this weekend with a Dremel.