New bike!

Gman

Guest
The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/

Adult BMX rules!

I picked 'er up on Tuesday, but have only gotten one short ride in due to work issues.

Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the Race Face.
Being true to my "customer from hell" persona, I was tempted to balk and demand that the RF cranks
be ordered, but the Stylos look pretty darned nice and were about $150 less expensive (for the
crank/sprocket setup). After some research, I decided to give them a try.

The bike is TIGHT and feels very balanced, much more so than my Specialized. It's also friggin'
HUGE. This may be the biggest MTB I've ever ridden. I think for once a bike _acutally_ fits
me.

Jury's still out on the egg beaters. They provide a lot of float, and coming down hill fast is a bit
disconcerting as it feels like you're standing on a cloud. I'm used to a little more feedback. I
think I'll definitely get used to them tho.

Anyway, look forward to gettin' 'er out this weekend for some runnin'!

Gman

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
>

> Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the Race
> Face. Being true to my "customer from hell" persona, I was tempted to balk and demand that the RF
> cranks be ordered, but the Stylos look pretty darned nice and were about $150 less expensive (for
> the crank/sprocket setup). After some research, I decided to give them a try.

FWIW, I had good luck with two different Stylo cranksets; can't say same for TV's BB's tho'. (Rumor
is they've improved them recently, however.)

Bill "of course, mine were on geared bikes (I'm a sane person)" S.

PS: Sweet-looking ride -- enjoy it!!!

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
>
> Adult BMX rules!
>
> I picked 'er up on Tuesday, but have only gotten one short ride in due to work issues.

That is a beautiful bike. SS bikes are a study in simple elegant design.

> Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the Race
> Face. Being true to my "customer from hell" persona, I was tempted to balk and demand that the RF
> cranks be ordered, but the Stylos look pretty darned nice and were about $150 less expensive (for
> the crank/sprocket setup). After some research, I decided to give them a try.

They're about the same as RaceFace: Forged, CNC, etc. Just cheaper.

> The bike is TIGHT and feels very balanced, much more so than my Specialized. It's also friggin'
> HUGE. This may be the biggest MTB I've ever ridden. I think for once a bike _acutally_ fits
> me.

You're a big boy, Gman. That is a big bike.

> Jury's still out on the egg beaters. They provide a lot of float, and coming down hill fast is a
> bit disconcerting as it feels like you're standing on a cloud. I'm used to a little more feedback.
> I think I'll definitely get used to them tho.

Yeah, you'll get used to 'em. You could go BMX all the way and get some "shin burger" spiked
flat pedals.

> Anyway, look forward to gettin' 'er out this weekend for some runnin'!

Sounds great. Have fun.

Barry

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 04:44:28 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
>>

>> Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the
>> Race Face.

> FWIW, I had good luck with two different Stylo cranksets; can't say same for TV's BB's tho'.
> (Rumor is they've improved them recently, however.)
>
> Bill "of course, mine were on geared bikes (I'm a sane person)" S.
>
> PS: Sweet-looking ride -- enjoy it!!!

I hope my experience is the same with the cranks. As luck would have it I have them mated to a Race
Face Evolve FR BB. Hopefully that guy will hold up. Time will tell.

"Barry Bargain" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<DQW3b.305466$uu5.64700@sccrnsc04>...
> They're about the same as RaceFace: Forged, CNC, etc. Just cheaper.

How expected of you.

JD

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 04:44:28 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> The ride is here: http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/
> >>

> >> Due to a slight miscommunication I ended up with the Truvativ Stylo cranks instead of the Race
> >> Face.
>

> > FWIW, I had good luck with two different Stylo cranksets; can't say same
for
> > TV's BB's tho'. (Rumor is they've improved them recently, however.)
> >
> > Bill "of course, mine were on geared bikes (I'm a sane person)" S.
> >
> > PS: Sweet-looking ride -- enjoy it!!!
>
> I hope my experience is the same with the cranks. As luck would have it I have them mated to a
> Race Face Evolve FR BB. Hopefully that guy will hold up. Time will tell.

I bought a Race Face Isis BB (not the $ignature; this one was ~40 bux) to try with the Stylo
crankset I pulled off after the "Sealex" BB lasted about 6 weeks. However, in the meantime I
installed an Ultegra (!) BB and my thrashed XTR cranks and cassette, and they just won't die!
(Middle chainring, cassette AND chain all worn out, but together they work fine.)

Bill "impending doom" S.

that's not an adult bmx bike...now this is an adult bmx bike :p
http://www.henryong.com/pics/azonic/azonic1.JPG sorry the pic isn't too big though. it's an azonic
ds1 singlespeed setup. =)