RR: Oh deer!

Carla A-G

Guest
Hecksher State Park. We had never been there but we had heard that there was some riding in there.
Not mountainbiking though, riding of the paved kind.

http://www.liglobal.com/t_i/stateparks/heckscher.shtml

http://www.licamping.com/camps/heckpark.htm

We put the fixed gear track bikes on the bike rack and made the drive there.

As soon as we entered the park, we saw a gigantic sign that listed the amount of deer killed by
speeding vehicles in the park and compared it to the amount of deer killed last year by speeding
vehicles in the park. We thought that was an odd sign to be posting up.

We unloaded the bikes and decided to do an exploratory ride. After a few minutes of riding we
realized why that sign was posted at the entrance to the park. There were deer everywhere.
Absolutely everywhere in the park, was full of deer. You couldn't turn your head in any direction
without seeing one or 20 of them congregated together. We had never seen so many deer in such short
time. We toodled around the park. We eventually wound up creating a 4 mile circuit loop from the
roads. We did about 3 loops and saw dozens and dozens of deer along the way. Cars would stop by the
side of the road just to watch them standing there, feeding and playing.

We noticed that there was some fireroad trails in certain sections of the park, but we didn't
dare even go in there, with all that deer, we didn't doubt that there would be a helluva lot of
ticks too.

We'll be using this road circuit for some early morning fixed gear training rides. We'll try to
avoid hitting any deer...afterall, we are speeding vehicles...

- CA-G smelling like musty fur...

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hecksher State Park. We had never been there but we had heard that there was some riding in there.
> Not mountainbiking though, riding of the paved kind.
>
> http://www.liglobal.com/t_i/stateparks/heckscher.shtml
>
> http://www.licamping.com/camps/heckpark.htm
>
> We put the fixed gear track bikes on the bike rack and made the drive there.

<snip> >
> - CA-G smelling like musty fur...
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Probably wouldn't have to worry about that at Kissena... So I did a quick google search, but
couldn't come up with any pics of your (heavy breathing) fixies.... /s
ps: Did the NYC Century yesterday. Yay for me. 15 Krispy Kremes on the day. I'm very proud.

[email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

> ps: Did the NYC Century yesterday. Yay for me. 15 Krispy Kremes on the day. I'm very proud.

Congratulations! That's one donut every 6.7 miles.

CC

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Probably wouldn't have to worry about that at Kissena... So I did a quick google search, but
> couldn't come up with any pics of your (heavy breathing) fixies.... /s
> ps: Did the NYC Century yesterday. Yay for me. 15 Krispy Kremes on the day. I'm very proud.

We have been meaning to go check out Kissena.

Here's my fixie, front brake installed:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/82383376/82396733HcmIvG

http://community.webshots.com/photo/82383376/82396760DwIMLN

Jim's looks exactly like this one: