Ping: -L

Wayne Boatwright

Guest
Were you looking for substitutes for nuts to use in cookies, or was it just a
problem with peanuts? Or...was it just my imagination?

I was rummaging through some recipes recently and found a couple of different
recipes that suggested Grape Nuts cereal in place of chopped nuts. As I
recall, the recipe for "Grape Nuts Cookies" was delicious with a very nutty
texture. I'll be glad to post those if your interested.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Were you looking for substitutes for nuts to use in cookies, or was it just a
> problem with peanuts? Or...was it just my imagination?

Wasn't me - although DS seems allergic to cashews and peanuts so far -
we won't try any other nuts until he is allergen tested in a few years.

> I was rummaging through some recipes recently and found a couple of different
> recipes that suggested Grape Nuts cereal in place of chopped nuts. As I
> recall, the recipe for "Grape Nuts Cookies" was delicious with a very nutty
> texture. I'll be glad to post those if your interested.

Oh, I'd love it!!! It's getting a little bland without nuts in this
house. ;)

-L.

On Sat 06 May 2006 06:13:00p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Were you looking for substitutes for nuts to use in cookies, or was it
>> just a problem with peanuts? Or...was it just my imagination?

> Wasn't me - although DS seems allergic to cashews and peanuts so far -
> we won't try any other nuts until he is allergen tested in a few years.

Perhaps it was just the allergy to cashews and peanuts that I remembered.

>> I was rummaging through some recipes recently and found a couple of
>> different recipes that suggested Grape Nuts cereal in place of chopped
>> nuts. As I recall, the recipe for "Grape Nuts Cookies" was delicious
>> with a very nutty texture. I'll be glad to post those if your
>> interested.

> Oh, I'd love it!!! It's getting a little bland without nuts in this
> house. ;)

:) I have my share here...five nutty cats and a nutty SO. :)

I have to leave soon for a few hours, but I will post them tonight.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

* Exported from MasterCook *

Applesauce Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 1/2 Cups Applesauce, Unsweetened
1/2 tsp Cloves
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Nutmeg
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 Cups Raisins
4 1/2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Grape Nuts Cereal
1 1/2 Cups Splenda or Granulated Sugar

1. Mix together sugar, equal and 1 1/2 cups of applesauce.

2. Add baking soda to 2 cups of warm applesauce.

3. Add applesauce to sugar mix.

4. Sift together cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour. Add to wet mixture.

5. Add raisins and Grape-Nuts.

6. Chill dough for 1 hour.

7. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and drop dough by teaspoonfuls
onto baking sheet.

8. Bake at 350° F. for 12 minutes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Breakfast Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup Grape Nuts Cereal
1/2 cup wheat germ*
1/2 cup oat bran*
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups unsalted butter -- (4 sticks) room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup golden brown sugar -- (packed)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup almonds (about 5 ounces) -- toasted, coarsely
chopped
1 cup raisins (about 5 ounces)
1 cup chopped pitted dates (about 8 ounces)
14 whole pitted dates -- split lengthwise in half

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix oats, both flours, Grape-Nuts, wheat germ, oat
bran, and baking soda in large bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat
butter in another large bowl until creamy. Add eggs, both sugars, and
vanilla; beat until smooth. Add cereal mixture; stir just until blended.
Mix in almonds, raisins, and 1 cup chopped dates. (Can be prepared 1 week
ahead. Cover and chill. Let soften at room temperature before continuing.)

Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with parchment paper. Using 2-ounce ice
cream scoop or 1/4-cup measure as aid, scoop dough onto prepared baking
sheets, spacing mounds 2 inches apart. Using damp fingers, press cookies to
1/2-inch-thick rounds. Press 1 date half into center of each cookie.

Bake cookies 1 sheet at a time until brown on top, about 15 minutes. Let
cookies stand on baking sheet 10 minutes before transferring to rack to
cool. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Serve
slightly warm or at room temperature.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Flake Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening or magarine -- softened (not melted)
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 egg
1/4 cup evaporated milk or orange juice
3 cups corn flakes (not crushed)
3/4 cup Grape Nuts Cereal
3 tablespoons wheat germ

Mix together dry ingredients and set aside. Beat margarine and gradually
add sugar and orange rind. Beat until fluffy. Mix together egg and milk [or
orange juice]. Alternately add the dry and liquid ingredients to the
margarine. Gently fold in the corn flakes and grape nuts. Drop by
teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheet, about 1 and 1/2" apart. Bake in a
pre-heated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly
browned. Remove to wire rack and cool.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grape Nuts Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. margarine (3 sticks)
2/3 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. sugar (granulated)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. Grape Nuts cereal
2 c. oatmeal
1 c. sweetened dried cranberries

Blend baking soda and flour together in small bowl. Beat margarine,
granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Add egg.
Gradually beat in flour/baking soda mixture. Using a fork or large mixing
spoon, stir in Grape Nuts, oatmeal, and cranberries. Drop by rounded
tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 375.

* Exported from MasterCook *

The World's Best Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup Grape Nuts cereal
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped dried apricots
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugars together until light
and fluffy. Beat in egg, then oil. Add oats, cereal, coconut, and grape
nuts, mixing well. Add dry ingredients and vanilla. Form into balls the
size of walnuts and place on greased cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake
for 12 minutes or until light brown. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a
few minutes before removing to wire racks.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Applesauce Cookies

<snip>

Thanks so much! I will print them out and try them asap!
-L.

On Sat 06 May 2006 10:19:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Applesauce Cookies

> <snip>
>
> Thanks so much! I will print them out and try them asap!
> -L.

You're very welcome. Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

-L. wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Were you looking for substitutes for nuts to use in cookies, or was it just a
> > problem with peanuts? Or...was it just my imagination?

> Wasn't me - although DS seems allergic to cashews and peanuts so far -
> we won't try any other nuts until he is allergen tested in a few years.
>

> > I was rummaging through some recipes recently and found a couple of different
> > recipes that suggested Grape Nuts cereal in place of chopped nuts. As I
> > recall, the recipe for "Grape Nuts Cookies" was delicious with a very nutty
> > texture. I'll be glad to post those if your interested.

> Oh, I'd love it!!! It's getting a little bland without nuts in this
> house. ;)
>
> -L.

Allergy to peanuts implies an allergy to other legumes - and cashews
aren't like tree nuts - the allergen tests should be interesting.

N.

Nancy2 wrote:
> Allergy to peanuts implies an allergy to other legumes - and cashews
> aren't like tree nuts - the allergen tests should be interesting.
>
> N.

It kinda freaked me out that he reacted to the cashew. He also was on
soy milk as an infant and I am positive it caused his eczema but the
doctor didn't agree. We eventually put him on milk and his eczema
cleared up - I just wish we had switched him earlier.

-L.