thrown out of tesco's supermarket.

zippy

Guest
Just went to tesco's for some stuff and the same security guard i had
problems with last time stopped me and said to leave that at the door.

Last time he was happy for me to carry it. This time though i said "you
can't garantee it's safety so i'll carry it".

He chased me down and promptly "well i'm gonna have to ask you to
leave".

I asked to see the manager and was sent to the front door to wait for
him. I questioned the manager about why i can't bring this into the
store with me and he said that we don't allow them into the store like
skateboarders and bicycles and we provide a place around the corner
there to lock up your bikes classing my uni as a bicycle.

I was happy to point out that the the security guard in question is the
only one on duty which has a problem with it and I've been in dozens of
time with it in the last few weeks.

He said that his decision would be the final one and it was his choice
to not allow me to enter.

I thought fair enough, so i go around the corner to check out where you
lock up your bikes. I find 2 lamp posts with 2 signs on it. Bike
Parking, and Bicycle Parking.

No bars for locking up your bikes, nothing, just 2 signs and 2 lamp
posts.

Can say I'm quite infuriated.

Damien

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

i just leave mine with the gaurd

hes a big stroung guy and he will remember my face

no1s gonna try to steel it whith him stood there

oh and one i just put it in a trolly and he didnt notice it was there

and i pushed it around in the trolly

--
dale_dale

biggest set/gap = 4 set
dale_dale's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11459

Why don't you just have a lock? I carry a chain and a master lock with
me. I'll lock to anything I can find... gutters, signs, posts or
whatever. The nice thing about the chain is it's flexible and can go
around/through just about anything.

I posted a thread a long time ago about how I went to work but the door
was locked... and I usually left my uni inside the backdoor of work, so
I went into another shop to wait and left the uni right outside... like
an hour later someone came and opened the door and I totally forgot
about my unicycle, I guess I was just so used to putting inside and not
worrying about it. Anyway, few hours later I remembered it was outside
only to find it gone forever :(

--
thayr
thayr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8957

Looks like you have two choices:

1. Shop at Tesco's, leaving your uni with the guard or locking it up
outside like many other businesses will have you do.

2. Shop elsewhere.

Caveat on #2: They may have the same rules. Their store, their rules.
At least maybe the'll have a bike rack.

I've never heard of a locked unicycle getting stolen. If you ride
urban, and want to make stops/errands, having a lock is probably a good
idea.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

johnfoss wrote:

> I've never heard of a locked unicycle getting stolen.

My friend had her Koxx one stolen from a bike rack that it was locked
to, so now you have. I've left my giraffe leaning against the door of
my tesco metrol and asked the gaurd to keep an eye on it late at night
a couple of times, no problems.

--
kington99

Dave

Argh I meant Sainsbury's Local, not tesco metro. Where sainsbury's is
'at' is the end of broard street whereas the tesco is all the way down
the cowley road, and I can't giraffe that far so I've never found out
what their treatment of unicyclists is like.

--
kington99

Dave

kington99 wrote:
> My friend had her Koxx one stolen from a bike rack that it was locked
> to, so now you have.

DOH!!

%&@#** thieves. How did they liberate it? Bad locking job or "good"
thieves?

--

johnfoss wrote:
> DOH!!
>
> %&@#** thieves. How did they liberate it? Bad locking job or "good"
> thieves?

Well it was a fairly meagre chain with an integrated combination lock,
I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the chain or cracked the code, they
didn't leave the chain at the crime scene so we never found out. Her
insurance paid out in the end. There are rings of professional bike
thieves in Oxford, aswell as a load of pikey s**** who would nick
anything that looks interesting, so who knows.

--
kington99

Dave

I've been asked once to leave my unicycle at the front of the store, I
don't remember if I did or not, I think I did but made me shopping very
quick. Came back to it sitting there with the guard standing by them.

You should go back to the store and tell them that is nothing to lock
your uni to, or just try to walk in pretty briskly and get past the
guard.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more, so leave
me alone about it!~*~

'*!Gallery!*' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/jpkoz) ' and HERE!'
(http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)

Strap the thing upide down to your rucksack and claim it's a fashion
accessory, or that you don't know what it is, it just came with your
bag. I recently spent an entire day negotiating my way round the London
underground with a KH24 strapped to my back, no problems atall.

--
kington99

Dave

kington99 wrote:
> There are rings of professional bike thieves in Oxford, aswell as a load
> of pikey s**** who would nick anything that looks interesting, so who
> knows.

Apologies for this thread hijack.

As in any walk of life, I am confident that there are s**** amongst the
traveller community. However your casual use of the expression "p****
s****" implies that all travellers are s****. If you exchange the word
"p****" with a pejorative term for blacks or Asians you will see what I
mean.

I have taught and worked with members of the traveller community for
some years; if I were -forced -to generalise, I'd say they were the
families who were noticable for always paying up for everything almost
immediately (as opposed to many non-travellers who either made us chase
them for money, or didn't pay at all).

Hijack over. I'll settle down now. Personal thing. Sorry.

--
s7ev0

DARWIN LOVES YOU

The best things in life aren't things

-Avatar courtesy of Loosemoose. -
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

What's the problem?

Unicycles easily fit in shopping carts.

|Filename: tesco.jpg |

UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

That was just a Google search pic showing Tesco has shopping carts. The
closest Tesco from my house is still over 4,700 miles way so I had to
be sure they had carts.

So yes, the unicycle is missing.

--
UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

I once brought my unicycle into a store by putting it in a shopping
cart. No one objected.

When I ride my unicycle to work (Wal-Mart), I used to chain it on the
bike rack out front, but the last time I left my giraffe on the rack,
the tire was completely flat when I got off, and had a couple of small
slits in it. One of my co-workers said he had seen some skater types
hanging around that area earlier, so I suspect them of slitting my
tyre. In any case, I now leave my unicycle in a closet instead of on
the rack.

--
jsm

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia

"wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*" -chosen
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

UniBrier wrote:
> That was just a Google search pic showing Tesco has shopping carts. The
> closest Tesco from my house is still over 4,700 miles way so I had to
> be sure they had carts.

They DON'T have shopping carts. They have trolleys. I know. I was
there once a long time ago (at a Sainsbury's).

--
uni57

-\"what's a troll?\"- - billythemountain

'8th Annual LBI Unithon' (http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon) -
Be there! - Saturday, June 3, 2006
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

i've only once been stopped when i brought my unicycle into a shop. it
was because the tire was dirty and they had carpeting. they didn't want
me to leave a long tire mark all through the store. however, i
satisfied them by carrying it. i just stuck the seat under my arm and
hooked my fingers around the tire. it worked for them. ;) however, i'm
paranoid about leaving my unicycle somewhere for more than a few
minutes so i try to leave it behind a desk or somewhere. once i went
inside the YMCA for five minutes and left my uni unlocked to the bike
rack. i came back out and there was a whole circle of kids around the
bike rack. i pushed my way in only to find a kid trying to mount MY
unicycle. i couldn't believe the nerve of them! anyway, i don't do THAT
anymore.

--
unitoon

unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

UniBrier wrote:
> Two to point out light bulb means something else in their culture

A Rose by any other name...