Heart monitors: Polar VS Cardiosport

S

Steve Byrns

I want to get back to running and purchase a new heart monitor. I'm a little ticked off with Polar
because I have to throw away Polar transmitter and watch because the batteries are dead. What a
waste. The unit would surely still work if it wasn't for the dead batteries.

Batteries in Cardiosport monitors can be replaced. I was wondering what people's experience with
Cardiosport monitors was like.

"Steve Byrns" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I want to get back to running and purchase a new heart monitor. I'm a little ticked off with Polar
> because I have to throw away Polar transmitter and watch because the batteries are dead. What a
> waste. The unit would surely still work if it wasn't for the dead batteries.

The watch batteries can be changed and the transmitter bands are cheap to replace and last a long
time. I love my S120.

--
- Mark ->
--

"Steve Byrns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm a little ticked off with Polar because I have to throw away Polar
transmitter
> and watch because the batteries are dead.

Huh? Here in Europe we return the transmitter strap to our Polar dealer for recycling. We return the
watch to the same fellow who fits new batteries and seals and generally tidies up the watch for a
very reasonable fee. I've has a new glass and strap fitted to my 'Coach' without asking or
additional cost.

IMHO, I've yet to find a HRM as accurate, robust or plain easy-to-use as Polar, though I'm hearing
good things about this:

http://www.suuntowatches.com/x6-hr.htm

which is, I believe, based on Polar technology.

Roger.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:03:08 -0400, "Steve Byrns" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I want to get back to running and purchase a new heart monitor. I'm a little ticked off with Polar
>because I have to throw away Polar transmitter and watch because the batteries are dead. What a
>waste. The unit would surely still work if it wasn't for the dead batteries.
>
>Batteries in Cardiosport monitors can be replaced. I was wondering what people's experience with
>Cardiosport monitors was like.
>
>

I'm sure the Polar would work right after the batteries were changes which would happen
right after you sent the watch/strap and 10-15$ to Polar or your local Polar dealer. I'm not
sure how you got teh idea that the batteries CAN'T be changed. I know they reccommend
sending both to Polar, as they change and test for leakage, something that won't happen at
your local jewlery store.

~Matt

BTW did you throw the strap away recently? Wouldn't be around Chicago would it? Probably still in
the trash if it was;-< ( For those not in the area some 3300 refuse workers are on strike)

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Steve Byrns wrote in article
<[email protected]>:

>I want to get back to running and purchase a new heart monitor. I'm a little ticked off with Polar
>because I have to throw away Polar transmitter and watch because the batteries are dead. What a
>waste. The unit would surely still work if it wasn't for the dead batteries.

>Batteries in Cardiosport monitors can be replaced. I was wondering what people's experience with
>Cardiosport monitors was like.

I've had several branded HRMs that were made for the vendor by Cardiosport, so my comments may apply
only to the vendor's models and not to all Cardiosports.

I very much liked the features and design of the two models I had. However, I had four mechanical
failures of the receiver/watch, each basically the same flaw (I don't know if it was a material or
design failure or a manufacturing flaw). Each time one of the lugs where the strap pins on to the
case broke without warning, leaving the receiver unreparable and useless. The vendor replaced two of
them at no charge under warranty, but after four failures over about three or four years I gave up
and just recently bought a more expensive Polar even though I hate their "we have to change your
batteries" policy/design.
--
Don [email protected]