car bike carrier

Duracell Bunny

Guest
What is the consensus on the best type of bike carrier to go on a car? My old
MacRack (now well over 15 years old) dates from when bikes were steel & round,
and the powder coating was more adherent to the frame. After only six months my
road bike is losing a significant amount of paint where the bike rack grabs it.
I've had a look at several LBS offerings & not found any that are noticeably any
better.

Ideas, anyone (other than not transporting the bike on the car but riding ...)

--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
Catherine Aird

Duracell Bunny wrote:

> After only six months my road bike is losing a significant amount of
> paint where the bike rack grabs it.

Rip off the old rubber padding, grind away the old glue.
Visit clark rubber and buy some replacement rubber inserts + liquid
nails (i dink).

And/or, wrap top tube in old t-shirt before loading.

Terryc wrote:
> Duracell Bunny wrote:
>
>> After only six months my road bike is losing a significant amount of
>> paint where the bike rack grabs it.

> Rip off the old rubber padding, grind away the old glue.
> Visit clark rubber and buy some replacement rubber inserts + liquid
> nails (i dink).
>
> And/or, wrap top tube in old t-shirt before loading.

Thanks, well worth a try before I replace it!

--

Duracell Bunny wrote:
> What is the consensus on the best type of bike carrier to go on a car? My old
> MacRack (now well over 15 years old) dates from when bikes were steel & round,
> and the powder coating was more adherent to the frame. After only six months my
> road bike is losing a significant amount of paint where the bike rack grabs it.
> I've had a look at several LBS offerings & not found any that are noticeably any
> better.
>
> Ideas, anyone (other than not transporting the bike on the car but riding ...)

Roof is the best place, IMO, as long as you pay attention. Otherwise :

We just got some new strapon racks that have very neat closures,
hollywood racks they're called. Have a look at these :
http://hollywoodracks.com/trunk.htm
They're not too expensive either, I think we're RRP'ing the 3 bike one
for about $130?

Or, repad your existing racks with some closed cell foam (old hiking
mats are good)

Duracell Bunny wrote:
> What is the consensus on the best type of bike carrier to go on a car? My old
> MacRack (now well over 15 years old) dates from when bikes were steel & round,
> and the powder coating was more adherent to the frame. After only six months my
> road bike is losing a significant amount of paint where the bike rack grabs it.
> I've had a look at several LBS offerings & not found any that are noticeably any
> better.
>
> Ideas, anyone (other than not transporting the bike on the car but riding ...)

Trade in yr bike for a Ti one - no paint.
;-)

donga

Donga wrote:
> Duracell Bunny wrote:
>> What is the consensus on the best type of bike carrier to go on a car? My old
>> MacRack (now well over 15 years old) dates from when bikes were steel & round,
>> and the powder coating was more adherent to the frame. After only six months my
>> road bike is losing a significant amount of paint where the bike rack grabs it.
>> I've had a look at several LBS offerings & not found any that are noticeably any
>> better.
>>
>> Ideas, anyone (other than not transporting the bike on the car but riding ...)

> Trade in yr bike for a Ti one - no paint.
> ;-)
>
> donga

Well, as I work for a not for profit organisation I'm not on a huge salary, so
that one's out :(

--

Duracell Bunny wrote:
> Donga wrote:
> > Duracell Bunny wrote:
> >> What is the consensus on the best type of bike carrier to go on a car? My old
> >> MacRack (now well over 15 years old) dates from when bikes were steel & round,
> >> and the powder coating was more adherent to the frame. After only six months my
> >> road bike is losing a significant amount of paint where the bike rack grabs it.
> >> I've had a look at several LBS offerings & not found any that are noticeably any
> >> better.
> >>
> >> Ideas, anyone (other than not transporting the bike on the car but riding ...)

> > Trade in yr bike for a Ti one - no paint.
> > ;-)
> >
> > donga
> >

> Well, as I work for a not for profit organisation I'm not on a huge salary, so
> that one's out :(

So do I - the government ;-) You just have to shop well.

Donga

Duracell Bunny wrote:

> What is the consensus on the best type of bike carrier to go on a car? My old

If you go for rooftop (your hybrid will be too heavy to lift
tho) make sure you take your MTB with you when you trial the
roofracks, as Steven's old ones couldn't take his bike
fitted with discs.

Tam

Terryc wrote:
> Duracell Bunny wrote:
>
>> After only six months my road bike is losing a significant amount of
>> paint where the bike rack grabs it.

> Rip off the old rubber padding, grind away the old glue.
> Visit clark rubber and buy some replacement rubber inserts + liquid
> nails (i dink).
>
> And/or, wrap top tube in old t-shirt before loading.

Or buy a few metres of rope, preferably cotton also known as sashcord, 8mm
is good, and wind it around the rack bars. Cheap, simple and lasts for a
very long time.

Theo

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Duracell Bunny wrote:
>> What is the consensus on the best type of bike carrier to go on a car? My old

> If you go for rooftop (your hybrid will be too heavy to lift
> tho) make sure you take your MTB with you when you trial the
> roofracks, as Steven's old ones couldn't take his bike
> fitted with discs.
>
> Tam

OK, it's done. ripped off the old, visited Clark Rubber & glued on some new
ones. Roof rack idea has never appealed, too hard to lift the bikes up there.
And the rear carrier has the advantage of being a service stand too, though not
as good as the real thing.

We'll see how it goes on Thursday when Tam's & my bike go to Gap Creek.

Thanks for all the suggestions