Worst bonk

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
As my training has started to really ramp up and I push out the distances, I find myself on the bike thinking about the worst bonking experiences I have had on a bike. I used to live in a valley where it was very windy during Spring. In pre-season training it was easy to misjudge your fitness, let a tail wind blow you thirty or forty miles out, and then have to face a brutal head wind on the way back. On one occasion I remember bonking hard at the turn around and then death marching my way back at eleven or twelve miles per hour. I had no money with me and all I could think about was greasy food. At one point I was coasting down a slight downhill and I saw a piece of red licorice welded to the asphalt. It took a few seconds for my mind to register what it was. By that time I decided I should pick it up and eat it for energy, I had rolled past it. I did not stop, but I know the only reason I didn't was because the thought of turning around and having to climb twenty or thirty feet uphill would take more extra suffering than I was willing to endure. If the road would have been flat I am sure I would have dusted it off and eaten it.

What is your worst bonking experience.

Bro Deal said:
As my training has started to really ramp up and I push out the distances, I find myself on the bike thinking about the worst bonking experiences I have had on a bike. I used to live in a valley where it was very windy during Spring. In pre-season training it was easy to misjudge your fitness, let a tail wind blow you thirty or forty miles out, and then have to face a brutal head wind on the way back. On one occasion I remember bonking hard at the turn around and then death marching my way back at eleven or twelve miles per hour. I had no money with me and all I could think about was greasy food. At one point I was coasting down a slight downhill and I saw a piece of red licorice welded to the asphalt. It took a few seconds for my mind to register what it was. By that time I decided I should pick it up and eat it for energy, I had rolled past it. I did not stop, but I know the only reason I didn't was because the thought of turning around and having to climb twenty or thirty feet uphill would take more extra suffering than I was willing to endure. If the road would have been flat I am sure I would have dusted it off and eaten it.

Not on a bike. It was in the mountains. After 22 hours of being on the go, climbing, and summiting. My climbing partner and I both fell asleep while chopping an platform out of the ice to sleep on.....this was about 10pm. I awoke near midnight, freezing. Woke partner, brewed up ramen noodles and fell asleep again before I finished eating. It's all real hazy in the memory. It pretty much defined for me what being out of energy was all about. Instead of a bonk, I think it was a slam bonk.

I bonked 4 miles from home while riding my first century. It was at mile 112. I really learned a lot about nutrition on that ride. A banana (not a plastic one) save me.

Bro Deal said:

Did a spin a few years ago : Cork - Dublin at summer solstice (200 miles)
I did the usual stuff - ate well the night before a long spin, got to bed early etc.

It was a warm day (by Irish standards) - temperature hit 24 degrees by mid and was up to 28 degrees by mid afternoon.
After about 150 miles, I started to feel dreadful.
I felt weak, my stomach was queasy - awful.
The last 50 miles were torture - I had gorge myself on food to try to build up to energy levels : fig rolls, fruit, lots of energy drink.
My mistake? In hindsight I think I had too many layers on and I had mild dehydration after sweating a lot.

When I first started cycling I went on a 50-mile ride after having only a granola bar for breakfast and no other food for the journey. Suffice to say, by about mile 35 I was just barely hanging on. By the end of the ride I was a little lightheaded and disoriented, not to mention extremely hungry.

janiejones said:
Were you both falling from a plane at the time?

No, no, no! That wasn't Karen, that was Theresa. And we weren't falling from the plane. We were in the plane, and she was handcuffed to the legs of the pilot's seat. That was her idea, not mine. :p

Ok, so I bonked on our club ride today. 10km after the turn around point, I just couldn't go any more. Speed dropped dramatically. Eventually rolled into our first stop and stuffed myself with two bar. But it didn't do much. Continued on as is. There's just no power left in the legs.

In retrospect, the problem probably started last night with that smaller quantity dinner. The cold weather didn't help either.

A few years back I did a 75 miler and I was out of water and I had eaten everything I had taken with me. I craped out about a mile from my starting point, I could see my truck out in the distance but all I could do was lay down and try to muster up enough energy to get back on the bike. I layed there for about 45 minutes and than all I could do was pedal a few strokes and coast. I learned a big leason that day.

alienator said:
No, no, no! That wasn't Karen, that was Theresa. And we weren't falling from the plane. We were in the plane, and she was handcuffed to the legs of the pilot's seat. That was her idea, not mine. :p

Any photos?

My worst bonk experience happened in Sun Valley Idaho while skiing. I was addicted to moguls. Very physically demanding. Had nothing but coffee and a donut in the morning before starting. I had a major sugar/caffine high as we started that day. About 1.5 hours and 3 mogul runs later I hit a brick wall mentally and phisically. I could barely muster enough engergy to get up. I was seeing stars. I remember fishing through the pockets on my ski coat and finding a stick of gum. That gave me just barely enough engergy to make it down the hill to the lodge. Ever since then I'm very carefull. Learned my lesson.

BornInZion said:
It's a bad bonk when you get tunnel vision.
A couple of years back, I was on a solo training ride of about 120k, I got to about the 100k mark and totally hit the wall with lack of food, It was pretty much all down hill to home, but my legs would not go anymore, that was it totally, I had to ring my wife and get her to come pick me up in the car. I made sure that I let my tyre down though before she got there and told her that I had a punture that I could not fix! :D