extending the range of an electric bike...

Hi,

In the last few days,
I've bought a 22 inch electric bike 2nd hand for £120.

It's been pretty impressive so far imho.

Problem is,
as people probably already know, is the battery...

At the moment,
it does 12 miles at 17 mph quite comfortably with no input from the
rider.
(36v 12 amp lead acid battery)

Just curious to what you think of this idea of extending the range.

A leisure battery from a scrap yard 12v 110 amp - £30
A fast charger 22amp from Argos - £40
A 12v to 36 dc to dc convertor - £70
A current limiting diode.

ie 12v at 110amps,
probably equals 36 volt at 30amp = 2 times as far = 25 miles,
(taking into account the extra weight and the loss of electric
convertion)

but I reckon it should be good for an approx range of 30 miles of
effortless riding.

Any comments? Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the last few days,
> I've bought a 22 inch electric bike 2nd hand for £120.
>
> It's been pretty impressive so far imho.
>
> Problem is,
> as people probably already know, is the battery...
>
> At the moment,
> it does 12 miles at 17 mph quite comfortably with no input from the
> rider.
> (36v 12 amp lead acid battery)
>
> Just curious to what you think of this idea of extending the range.
>
> A leisure battery from a scrap yard 12v 110 amp - £30
> A fast charger 22amp from Argos - £40
> A 12v to 36 dc to dc convertor - £70
> A current limiting diode.
>
> ie 12v at 110amps,
> probably equals 36 volt at 30amp = 2 times as far = 25 miles,
> (taking into account the extra weight and the loss of electric
> convertion)
>
> but I reckon it should be good for an approx range of 30 miles of
> effortless riding.
>
> Any comments? Ideas?

Pedal.
And no it's not a flippant answer.

If you work yourself into shape by also pedaling, you will extend the
range and or speed of your Frankenbike ;-) and improve your fitness.
17mph over 12 miles is no problem for a typical recreational cyclist.

Shawn

On Apr 6, 10:57 pm, Shawn <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi,

> > In the last few days,
> > I've bought a 22 inch electric bike 2nd hand for £120.

> > It's been pretty impressive so far imho.

> > Problem is,
> > as people probably already know, is the battery...

> > At the moment,
> > it does 12 miles at 17 mph quite comfortably with no input from the
> > rider.
> > (36v 12 amp lead acid battery)

> > Just curious to what you think of this idea of extending the range.

> > A leisure battery from a scrap yard 12v 110 amp - £30
> > A fast charger 22amp from Argos - £40
> > A 12v to 36 dc to dc convertor - £70
> > A current limiting diode.

> > ie 12v at 110amps,
> > probably equals 36 volt at 30amp = 2 times as far = 25 miles,
> > (taking into account the extra weight and the loss of electric
> > convertion)

> > but I reckon it should be good for an approx range of 30 miles of
> > effortless riding.

> > Any comments? Ideas?

> Pedal.
> And no it's not a flippant answer.
>
> If you work yourself into shape by also pedaling, you will extend the
> range and or speed of your Frankenbike ;-) and improve your fitness.
> 17mph over 12 miles is no problem for a typical recreational cyclist.
>
> Shawn- Hide quoted text -

I was going to suggest a longer extension cord.

JD

Thanks everyone,

Shawn,
lol,
Today I did find a switch for controlling the throttle,
and with very gentle effort it did go for 35 miles at 9-10mph.
(9-10mph because it only has one gear)

JD
lol
Good idea, but I've just found out we have wireless recharging places
here in Manchester ;-)

Dave