Clincher vs. tubular wheel: How can I tell what I have?

rwinthenorth

Aug 27, 2006
Like the title implies, How do I know if I have tubular or clincher rims? They are older Mavic Reflex SUP w/ UB control(?). The $64,000.00 question: Can I use Clincher tires on a tubular rim? Or should I just bring them in to my LBS and have him look at them? Thanks.

rwinthenorth said:
Like the title implies, How do I know if I have tubular or clincher rims? They are older Mavic Reflex SUP w/ UB control(?). The $64,000.00 question: Can I use Clincher tires on a tubular rim? Or should I just bring them in to my LBS and have him look at them? Thanks.
See:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

examples:

Tubular:
nakres_instal.jpg

Clincher:

rwinthenorth said:

No you can not use clincher tires on a tubular rim. In a pinch you can use a tubular tire on a clincher rim but it is not secure or safe. The 64 k answer is do not mix the two in any fashion.

vascdoc said:
No you can not use clincher tires on a tubular rim. In a pinch you can use a tubular tire on a clincher rim but it is not secure or safe. The 64 k answer is do not mix the two in any fashion.
Thanks for the quick answers.

rwinthenorth said:
If you don't know, you all but certainly have clincher wheels because they are on 99%+ of all bicycles.

Clincher wheels, with the tire removed, have a "U" shaped channel. Tubular wheels have only a slight indentation in the surface the tire is glued onto.