pierogi eating contest in Pittsburgh

Kate Connally

Guest
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07172/795734-34.stm

Unfortunately I saw this too late to enter. :-(

Anyway, I thought the part about some of the "professional"
eaters who were comp-eating (sic) was hilarious.

Kate, now jonesing for pierogi!

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

Kate Connally said...

> http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07172/795734-34.stm
>
> Unfortunately I saw this too late to enter. :-(
>
> Anyway, I thought the part about some of the "professional"
> eaters who were comp-eating (sic) was hilarious.
>
> Kate, now jonesing for pierogi!

They didn't say which kind of pierogies. I'd guess potato and cheese?

51 won the day.

Another disgusting accomplishment!!! LOL!

Andy

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch wrote:

> Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).

-sw

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch wrote:
>
>> Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

> I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).
>
> -sw

My favorite place was Bob's Garage. A real mom & pop place with the best
burgers/bar food in Pittsburgh. It was also known for its clever
seasonal decorations. I used to go to Pittsburgh quite frequently on
business and that was a favorite lunch stop.

>I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).

Yeah, my brother and his wife spend $500/week on groceries.
I spend that in a month to feed my family of five!

Oh, and I forgot about the sandwiches with the french fries inside the
sandwich. Was that Primanti Brothers...or something like that?

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

>Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

Not the Phipps Conservatory? Or the fires at the O?
--

modom

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:26:37 -0500, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch wrote:
>
>> Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

>I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).
>
>-sw

I had a studio there for about five years ending in 1993. The
Pennsylvania Macaroni Co. was a treat. Good marinated olives!
--

modom

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:39:41 GMT, Mitch wrote:

>>I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).

> Yeah, my brother and his wife spend $500/week on groceries.
> I spend that in a month to feed my family of five!
>
> Oh, and I forgot about the sandwiches with the french fries inside the
> sandwich. Was that Primanti Brothers...or something like that?

That's probably the only place near the Strip where I've never
eaten. Or even their suburb restaurants.

-sw

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:37:43 -0500, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:26:37 -0500, Steve Wertz
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch wrote:
>>
>>> Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

>>I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).

> I had a studio there for about five years ending in 1993. The
> Pennsylvania Macaroni Co. was a treat. Good marinated olives!

My mother is there now, and she will undoubtedly bring back
plenty of stuff from Penn-Mac. And Wholeys (which pretty much
set the tone for the Strip as it's known today).

And I will be there at the airport to greet her upon her return,
with ice chest in hand. I will gladly flag her down a cab after
the exchange.

-sw

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:35:59 -0500, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>
>>Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

> Not the Phipps Conservatory? Or the fires at the O?

The trains at the observatory (with the pendulum - forget the
name). The inclines. Looking out of the 63rd floor US Steel
building - I could see neighborhood 23 miles away). Point State
Park. Just to name a few.

-sw (North Hills folk, Schramms Farm area - now McNight village
or something)

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 03:16:23 GMT, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:35:59 -0500, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>>
>>>Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

>> Not the Phipps Conservatory? Or the fires at the O?

>The trains at the observatory (with the pendulum - forget the
>name). The inclines. Looking out of the 63rd floor US Steel
>building - I could see neighborhood 23 miles away). Point State
>Park. Just to name a few.
>
>-sw (North Hills folk, Schramms Farm area - now McNight village
>or something)

Foucault pendulum?

We lived in Bloomfield on Ella St. a couple of blocks off Liberty. It
was walking distance from Dell's family Italian restaurant and the
Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, where (back to the original topic) you could
get some fine pierogis in spite of the fact that everybody in the
neighborhood (besides my family and Stan, who owned the joint) was
Italian.

My studio was on the third floor of a four-story building on Smallman
in the Strip across from St. Stanislaus Catholic Church. I habitually
got a cheap hoagie at Prestogeorge's or a white pizza at the bar
downstairs for lunch, but the fried fish sandwiches at Wholey's were
also good, as I recall. There was also a good Mexican/Central
American market on Liberty Ave. then. The owner was Anglo but was
married to a Latina and spoke fluent Spanish. At the time, it was the
only place I knew of in Allegheny County where I could buy cilantro.

One night, after working late in the studio I stopped off at the bar
downstairs for a whiskey before heading home. After I bought my drink
I was startled to discover that a naked woman was dancing at the other
end of the bar. New owners. The place had turned into a titty bar
without my noticing. Goddam ivory tower intellectual.
--
modom

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 00:18:00 -0500, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 03:16:23 GMT, Steve Wertz
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>The trains at the observatory (with the pendulum - forget the
>>name). The inclines. Looking out of the 63rd floor US Steel
>>building - I could see neighborhood 23 miles away). Point State
>>Park. Just to name a few.

> Foucault pendulum?

Is that what it's called? <..googling..> Yep - that's it.

Not an observatory, it was Buhl Planetarium. Every Decemeber
they have a huge scale train setup.

ObFood: Last night I took out beef skirt, chicken breasts,
country style pork ribs, and 2lbs of herad-on shrimp to thaw.
Where do I start?

-sw

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch wrote:
>
>> Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

>I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).
>
>-sw

i went to school in n.y.c. with a couple pittsburghers. one guy used
to go into new jersey to pick up a supply of iron city beer. i
thought he was nuts.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:26:37 -0500, Steve Wertz
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch wrote:
>>
>>> Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

>> I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).
>>
>> -sw

> i went to school in n.y.c. with a couple pittsburghers. one guy used
> to go into new jersey to pick up a supply of iron city beer. i
> thought he was nuts.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I would have to agree. When I travel I always like to try local beers.
Iron City is just another industrial enhanced/stabilized Coors/Busch
type of beer.

Mitch wrote:

>>I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).

> Yeah, my brother and his wife spend $500/week on groceries.
> I spend that in a month to feed my family of five!
>
> Oh, and I forgot about the sandwiches with the french fries inside the
> sandwich. Was that Primanti Brothers...or something like that?

Yep, Primanti Brothers. Awesome good sandwiches!

Kate

--

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>

>>Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

> Not the Phipps Conservatory? Or the fires at the O?

Fires? Hmmm. I guess you mean fries. ;-)

One of my favorite combos is O-fries and a Pilsner Urquel.

Kate

--

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:37:43 -0500, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:26:37 -0500, Steve Wertz
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>I miss the Strip District for food shopping (and eating).

>>I had a studio there for about five years ending in 1993. The
>>Pennsylvania Macaroni Co. was a treat. Good marinated olives!

> My mother is there now, and she will undoubtedly bring back
> plenty of stuff from Penn-Mac. And Wholeys (which pretty much
> set the tone for the Strip as it's known today).

I have never understoon people's love of Wholey's.
I've tried to go and tried to like it but I find it
really stinky (rotten fish stinky) and really dirty.
I go to Benkovitz Seafood on Smallman for fish. So
much nicer. But I love Penn Mac. That place is awesome.

> And I will be there at the airport to greet her upon her return,
> with ice chest in hand. I will gladly flag her down a cab after
> the exchange.

Will she be bringing you several loaves of Mancini's
bread? That's what everyone in our family takes
back to wherever they live. When I was living in Calif.
I always asked anyone coming to visit to bring as much
Mancini's as they could carry and when I came back here
to visit I would take back as much as possible.

Kate

--

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:35:59 -0500, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:08:32 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>>

>>>Ahh, pierogis are the only thing I miss about Pittsburgh. Yum.

>>Not the Phipps Conservatory? Or the fires at the O?

> The trains at the observatory (with the pendulum - forget the
> name).

That was the Buhl Planetarium. My favorite school
field trip.

> The inclines. Looking out of the 63rd floor US Steel
> building - I could see neighborhood 23 miles away). Point State
> Park. Just to name a few.
>
> -sw (North Hills folk, Schramms Farm area - now McNight village
> or something)

Huh? Schramm's Farm is in Harrison City, east of Pittsburgh
way out past Murrysville several miles south of US 22. It must
have been a different farm. Unless there are/were 2 Schramm's
farms.

Kate

--

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 03:16:23 GMT, Steve Wertz
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Not the Phipps Conservatory? Or the fires at the O?

>>The trains at the observatory (with the pendulum - forget the
>>name). The inclines. Looking out of the 63rd floor US Steel
>>building - I could see neighborhood 23 miles away). Point State
>>Park. Just to name a few.
>>
>>-sw (North Hills folk, Schramms Farm area - now McNight village
>>or something)

> Foucault pendulum?
>
> We lived in Bloomfield on Ella St. a couple of blocks off Liberty. It
> was walking distance from Dell's family Italian restaurant and the
> Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, where (back to the original topic) you could
> get some fine pierogis in spite of the fact that everybody in the
> neighborhood (besides my family and Stan, who owned the joint) was
> Italian.

Yeah, they have good pierogi. Also great fish sandwiches.

> My studio was on the third floor of a four-story building on Smallman
> in the Strip across from St. Stanislaus Catholic Church. I habitually
> got a cheap hoagie at Prestogeorge's or a white pizza at the bar
> downstairs for lunch, but the fried fish sandwiches at Wholey's were
> also good, as I recall. There was also a good Mexican/Central
> American market on Liberty Ave. then.

??? Never heard of that? There's currently (and has been for
at least 10 years) a Mexican market, Reyna Foods, on Penn in
the 2100 block. As far as I know that's the first and only
Mexican grocer in the Pgh. area. (Although there may be some
recent ones that I don't know about yet.) The Asian Center in
Wilkinsburg carries lots of other ethnic products including
Mexican, Caribbean, etc.

> The owner was Anglo but was
> married to a Latina and spoke fluent Spanish. At the time, it was the
> only place I knew of in Allegheny County where I could buy cilantro.

How long ago was this? I know when I moved back to
Pittsburg in 86 there was nothing Mexican in Allegheny
county that I could find. I think there was Chichi's
and that was about it. But shortly after we gradually
started getting more Mexican restaurants but it was still
hard to find Mexican groceries except the few things they
had at the Asian Center. I used to have people bring me
corn husks for tamales when they visited from California
and Arizona. And I had to mail order masa harina.

Kate