A realistic take on the 650B thing

On Aug 16, 7:24 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 16, 8:37 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

> > timid?

> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

> No ****. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
> something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
> they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
> don't wanna be a smartist.
>
> That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?

I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
that low to get people using the wheel size.

I'm happy with my LHT, with 622-35 Paselas.

On Aug 17, 10:47 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 16, 7:24 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 16, 8:37 pm, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

> > > timid?

> > >http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

> > No ****. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
> > something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
> > they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
> > don't wanna be a smartist.

> > That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

> That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?
>
> I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
> instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
> lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
> that low to get people using the wheel size.

Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
Taiwanese made. That said, it's a very pretty frame and well thought
out. If I was in the market for an all rounder in that price bracket,
I'd consider it despite the wheel size.

> I'm happy with my LHT, with 622-35 Paselas.

For a grand, that bike would be my pick as well. It's perfectly
specced, except for the WTB tires, which are a bizarre and cheesy
choice.

On Aug 17, 10:36 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 10:47 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 16, 7:24 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > No ****. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
> > > something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
> > > they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
> > > don't wanna be a smartist.

> > > That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

> > That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?

> > I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
> > instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
> > lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
> > that low to get people using the wheel size.

> Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
> Taiwanese made. That said, it's a very pretty frame and well thought
> out. If I was in the market for an all rounder in that price bracket,
> I'd consider it despite the wheel size.
>

> > I'm happy with my LHT, with 622-35 Paselas.

> For a grand, that bike would be my pick as well. It's perfectly
> specced, except for the WTB tires, which are a bizarre and cheesy
> choice.

Not wild about the stock saddle - when they released the complete LHT,
it immediately skewed the saddle stats. I'd bet that prior to that,
85% of them had Brooks B-17s (like mine does).

On Aug 17, 1:15 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 10:36 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?

> > > I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
> > > instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
> > > lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
> > > that low to get people using the wheel size.

> > Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
> > Taiwanese made. That said, it's a very pretty frame and well thought
> > out. If I was in the market for an all rounder in that price bracket,
> > I'd consider it despite the wheel size.

> > > I'm happy with my LHT, with 622-35 Paselas.

> > For a grand, that bike would be my pick as well. It's perfectly
> > specced, except for the WTB tires, which are a bizarre and cheesy
> > choice.

> Not wild about the stock saddle - when they released the complete LHT,
> it immediately skewed the saddle stats. I'd bet that prior to that,
> 85% of them had Brooks B-17s (like mine does).

I find that basic shape by Velo to be quite nice, more comfy than a
B-17, but also a little too squishy for trips over 30 miles. The
seating acreage is about the same as a B-17 if you disregard the part
with the rivets. At any rate, it's sort of a place holder, just like
the cheap demo pedals a lot of bikes come with. I'd probably swap it
for a Rolls--so I'm glad they didn't spec an expensive Brooks that
would up the price and not make everyone happy.

On Aug 17, 12:36 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 10:47 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 16, 7:24 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > No ****. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
> > > something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
> > > they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
> > > don't wanna be a smartist.

> > > That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

> > That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?

> > I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
> > instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
> > lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
> > that low to get people using the wheel size.

> Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
> Taiwanese made.

At best, it's a fair price, but not a "low price". Consider that Soma
offers the lugged Speedster frame/fork made with Tange Prestige
tubing, attractive, polished stainless steel head lugs and nice paint
for $795 (Yes, I know it's not a touring frame; I'm just comparing
relative value.):

http://tinyurl.com/ynnhnv

IMO, the Bleriot only looks low-priced when compared to the other,
Japanese made Riv offerings.

On Aug 17, 2:00 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 12:36 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 17, 10:47 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:

[trim]

> > > I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
> > > instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
> > > lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
> > > that low to get people using the wheel size.

> > Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
> > Taiwanese made.

> At best, it's a fair price, but not a "low price". Consider that Soma
> offers the lugged Speedster frame/fork made with Tange Prestige
> tubing, attractive, polished stainless steel head lugs and nice paint
> for $795 (Yes, I know it's not a touring frame; I'm just comparing
> relative value.):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ynnhnv

Now THAT is handsome! Not touring, but you could certainly do some
light and short trips on a bike like that.

what can be imagines is the 650's innovator
shoeing their bike with something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi
rear and 60 front and saying ahha! eureka!

be serious. no one can haul anything with pasela.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl
>
> timid?
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

In the mid 60s I brought back a Bridgestone 10 speed from Japan. It had
drop bars, light weight tubing and European components - Huret RD, Suicide
FD, Weinmann brakes and so on. It weighed ~27-28 Lbs. with steel rims,
bars, cranks and pedals plus the Shimano 3 speed hub I had installed (so
it was a 30 speed).

About 1967 I needed a new rear tire and couldn't find anything to fit. I
don't know if it used 650 or 700 sized tires but I ended up having a LBS
put on a new rim - probably a 26" so that I could find tires to fit. Cost
= new rim, spokes, tire, tube & labor, almost more than I paid for the
bike in Japan.

So when somebody plans on riding a long distance on a bike with odd ball
sized tires, take spares and be prepared to have tires shipped to you in
Podunk.

We used to ship tires to people stuck in the middle of a tour via
Greyhound or Continental bus. They usually got it within 24 hours for not
much money plus they got to experience the joys of hanging out in a small
town bus station.
--
Chas. [email protected] (Drop spamski to E-mail me)