Dioxyin In Plastic Bottles

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Some years ago, the issue of dioxyn in plastic bottles came to fore. The articles, according to the medical gazette, point to a poisonous chemical that is produced when the plastic drinking bottle is heated. That warning is very apt for cyclists because it is common for them to bring bottles during a ride. And since the riding is done mostly during daytime when the sun is up then the probability of dioxyn to appear in drinking bottles is high.

Honestly, I'm still using plastic bottles sometimes.

I use plastic bottles as well. I used to have a metal one, but it gave out this metal-y taste after a while. I don't know how to say it correctly, but you know what I mean. I never had any trouble with plastic bottles as far as taste goes, but you can't taste the poison either, right?

There are no dioxyn present in plastic drinking bottles. Well not in NA, I am not sure about Asia.
Are you getting dioxyn mixed up with BPA/BPB perhaps?

I use a plastic bottle that's BPA free, although that's not why I picked it. For better or worse I don't really worry about stuff like this, because once you start down that rabbit hole it seems like just about everything out there is waiting to poison you :p

A stainless steel water bottle is a pretty safe bet though if it's something that concerns you.

Dioxin, hmmm. BPA was what I had heard. Bisphenol A. You want plastic bottles that are BPA free. Looks like the dioxin is something that is released when you freeze or heat the bottle maybe. Dioxin causes cancer. BPA causes cancer as well. Dioxins I understand are in paper towels, napkins, toilet paper, and things like women's feminine products. Dioxins (chlorinated chemicals)/ chlorine. There are brands that are free of this sort of thing. 7th generation is one.
I don't know. I was under the impression that the paper products had the dioxins and the plastic bottles had a problem with BPA. Something different every day to pay attention to.

Dioxin, hmmm. BPA was what I had heard. Bisphenol A. You want plastic bottles that are BPA free. Looks like the dioxin is something that is released when you freeze or heat the bottle maybe. Dioxin causes cancer. BPA causes cancer as well. Dioxins I understand are in paper towels, napkins, toilet paper, and things like women's feminine products. Dioxins (chlorinated chemicals)/ chlorine. There are brands that are free of this sort of thing. 7th generation is one.
I don't know. I was under the impression that the paper products had the dioxins and the plastic bottles had a problem with BPA. Something different every day to pay attention to.

Where in the world did you come up with that information?
There are no consumer products that contain dioxin. Dioxin is a by product of some industrial activities. There is a chance that dioxin was a by-product of the items you mention, but they are certainly not present in them.
There is no current research to conclude that BPA or BPB cause cancer. Some say it might be linked, others say it isn't. So to just say "Oh BPA causes cancer" is very disingenuous. BPA is a known endocrine disruptor though, which means it can mess with your hormones.

Well Dioxin can only be produce when you heat or burn something so maybe if you have a plastic bottle filled with water which goes through extreme heat then Dioxin might be released but just to be sure, it's best to check your bottle if it's BPA free.

Some years ago, the issue of dioxyn in plastic bottles came to fore. The articles, according to the medical gazette, point to a poisonous chemical that is produced when the plastic drinking bottle is heated. That warning is very apt for cyclists because it is common for them to bring bottles during a ride. And since the riding is done mostly during daytime when the sun is up then the probability of dioxyn to appear in drinking bottles is high.

Honestly, I'm still using plastic bottles sometimes.

That's quite alarming. I've read something similar as well. I found out that reusing disposable plastic bottles is not good for you. There are certain types of container meant for using more than once. And plastic bottles bought at the convenience store is not one of them.

I use plastic bottles as well. I used to have a metal one, but it gave out this metal-y taste after a while. I don't know how to say it correctly, but you know what I mean. I never had any trouble with plastic bottles as far as taste goes, but you can't taste the poison either, right?

This is so true! I'm actually worried about what you said. It's true that we can't taste the poison. :eek:

I don't like the taste of metal containers as well. What I did was bathe it in water many times. I repeated this until eventually the metallic taste went away. It's probably one of those flasks.

Try to look for plastic bottles with metal interior, they are lightweight and keep the liquids super cold all the way. Obviously, they're not as cheap as any other plastic bottle, but they're yet affordable. I got mine at Ikea, price was good, easy to carry, and cute modern colors, but you can find a lot of those online at Amazon.

I use a plastic bottle that's BPA free, although that's not why I picked it. For better or worse I don't really worry about stuff like this, because once you start down that rabbit hole it seems like just about everything out there is waiting to poison you :p

A stainless steel water bottle is a pretty safe bet though if it's something that concerns you.

I know what you mean. Stuff like this can be distressful. But I prefer to be sure so I choose the safest items for drinking.

Well Dioxin can only be produce when you heat or burn something so maybe if you have a plastic bottle filled with water which goes through extreme heat then Dioxin might be released but just to be sure, it's best to check your bottle if it's BPA free.

This is probably the problem for most users. They often put hot liquid in plastic containers. The plastic taste and smell is an indicator of a possible danger once heat melts plastic.