The Physics of My Chocolate Milk

Tank

Guest
One of life's great joys is chocolate milk. I thought I
would never enjoy it again, what with the whole sugar
restriction thing as a result of the surgery. Then I
discovered sugar-free NesQuik. Life is good again. The stuff
is amazing.

But, since I like my chocolate milk reeeaaalllyy cold, I
often mix a glass, drink a bit, and park the glass in the
fridge next to the special little cold-air vent for a while,
to get it even extra-more-colder.

While in the fridge, a most interesting effect manifests
itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates. Not too terribly
unexpected, but it separates in a very strange fashion. As
one might surmise, there is a very dark band of chocolate at
the bottom of the glass, and then the much lighter, but
still essentially chocolate-brown
milk. What is puzzling is a *third* layer, at the very top
of the glass. A narrow band, almost as dark as the
bottom layer, but very thin in depth. The bottom band
is very thick, depth-wise, but the top layer is about
1/4 of the thickness of the bottom layer.

----------------
Here is the ingredient list:

Cocoa processed with alkalai, Reduced Minerals, Whey,
Maltodextrin, Soy Lecithin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt,
Aspartame (non-nutritive sweetener), Acesulfame Potassium
(non-nutritive sweetener), Artificial and Natural Flavors.

Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid,
(Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochlorate (Vitamin
B6), Copper Gluconate, Manganese Sulfate, Biotin.

Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine
----------------

It's not like it is a problem or anything. I just give it a
stir and it all goes back into a lovely, yummy chocolate
solution. (Although I have been known *not* to re-mix it,
just to get a huge choco-blast from the sludgy bottom band,
but that's another story.) But, I can't help wondering: why
does my chocolate milk separate in that fashion?

--
Tank

This Space To Let.

>"ToiletTank" flushes:
>
>I discovered sugar-free NesQuik.
>
>But, since I like my chocolate milk reeeaaalllyy cold, I
>often mix a glass, drink a bit, and park the glass in the
>fridge next to the special little cold-air vent for a
>while, to get it even extra-more-colder.
>
>While in the fridge, a most interesting effect manifests
>itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates. Not too
>terribly unexpected, but it separates in a very strange
>fashion. As one might surmise, there is a very dark band of
>chocolate at the bottom of the glass, and then the much
>lighter, but still essentially chocolate-brown
>milk. What is puzzling is a *third* layer, at the very top
> of the glass. A narrow band, almost as dark as the
> bottom layer, but very thin in depth. The bottom band
> is very thick, depth-wise, but the top layer is about
> 1/4 of the thickness of the bottom layer.

Don't drink the top layer... **** floats. <G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =--- ---= Move
UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
tribulation." Sheldon ````````````

"Tank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One of life's great joys is chocolate milk. I thought But,
> since I like my chocolate milk reeeaaalllyy cold, I often
> mix a glass, drink a bit, and park the glass in the fridge
> next to the special little cold-air vent for a while, to
> get it even extra-more-colder.

Tank, Just a suggestion : keep a few thick glasses or mugs
in the freezer. You could probably keep the mix (pre-milk)
in there as well to keep things as cold as possible for as
long as possible.

Dean G.

"Tank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> While in the fridge, a most interesting effect manifests
> itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates. Not too
> terribly unexpected, but it separates in a very strange
> fashion. As one might surmise, there is a very dark band
> of chocolate at the bottom of the glass, and then the much
> lighter, but still essentially chocolate-brown
> milk. What is puzzling is a *third* layer, at the very top
> of the glass. A narrow band, almost as dark as the
> bottom layer, but very thin in depth. The bottom
> band is very thick, depth-wise, but the top layer is
> about 1/4 of the thickness of the bottom layer.

Just as a guess, I would say that it's oils separating out
from the cocoa mix.

Bob M.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:30:23 -0400, "Tank" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>One of life's great joys is chocolate milk. I thought I
>would never enjoy it again, what with the whole sugar
>restriction thing as a result of the surgery. Then I
>discovered sugar-free NesQuik. Life is good again. The
>stuff is amazing.

Didja know that they also make Swiss Miss with Splenda?

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail... A
true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"

wrote:

>While in the fridge, a most interesting effect
>manifests itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates.
>Not too terribly unexpected, but it separates in a very
>strange fashion.

I'm not sure why you can't take a spoon to it & swirl it
around after retreiving it.

I have always found that Nesquick never really mixed well
& will settle, so I always have a spoon in my glass for
that purpose.

The cold glass suggestion by Dean is also good.

wrote:

>Here is the ingredient list:
>
>Cocoa processed with alkalai, Reduced Minerals, Whey,
>Maltodextrin, Soy Lecithin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt,
>Aspartame (non-nutritive sweetener), Acesulfame Potassium
>(non-nutritive sweetener), Artificial and Natural Flavors.
>
>Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid,
>(Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochlorate (Vitamin
>B6), Copper Gluconate, Manganese Sulfate, Biotin.
>
>Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine

With an ingredient list like that, anything's possible. All
the more reason to make your own from scratch, like I posted
yesterday. Just milk, sweetener and cocoa (probably
processed with alkali)

-sw

Does the same happen with choc milk in the carton, or is
this layering only with NesQuick?

Just wondering :) Cheerz! Jane

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040624124757.23951.00000656@mb-
m28.aol.com...
> >"ToiletTank" flushes:
> >
> >I discovered sugar-free NesQuik.
> >
> >But, since I like my chocolate milk reeeaaalllyy cold, I
> >often mix a glass, drink a bit, and park the glass in the
> >fridge next to the special little cold-air vent for a
> >while, to get it even extra-more-colder.
> >
> >While in the fridge, a most interesting effect manifests
> >itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates. Not too
> >terribly unexpected, but it separates in a very strange
> >fashion. As one might surmise, there is a very dark band
> >of chocolate at the bottom of the glass, and then the
> >much lighter, but still essentially chocolate-brown
> >milk. What is puzzling is a *third* layer, at the very
> > top of the glass. A narrow band, almost as dark as
> > the bottom layer, but very thin in depth. The
> > bottom band is very thick, depth-wise, but the top
> > layer is about 1/4 of the thickness of the bottom
> > layer.
>
> Don't drink the top layer... **** floats. <G>
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =--- ---=
> Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
> tribulation." Sheldon ````````````

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Don't drink the top layer... **** floats. <G>
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Well, damn Sheldon, how do I get to the good stuff on the
bottom if I can't drink the stuff on top?

--
Tank

This Space To Let.

"focksfire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does the same happen with choc milk in the carton, or is
> this layering
only
> with NesQuick?

I have never noticed it with the milk in the carton. But it
has been several years since I have been able to consume pre-
made chocolate milk. I suspect not, however, as commercial
products generally have things in them designed to prevent
separations.

--
Tank

This Space To Let.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040624124757.23951.00000656@mb-
> m28.aol.com...
> >
> > Don't drink the top layer... **** floats. <G>
> >
> > Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
> >

> Well, damn Sheldon, how do I get to the good stuff on the
> bottom if I can't drink the stuff on top?
>
> --
> Tank
>
> This Space To Let.

use a straw?
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

Tank <[email protected]> wrote:
>One of life's great joys is chocolate milk.

Sounds like a great question for the 1-800 number on the
can.

--Blair "Ask them why a
rabbit would like chocolate,
while they're at it."

PENMART01 <[email protected]> wrote:
>Don't drink the top layer... **** floats. <G>

Don't read any post with the word "PENMART01" in its
headers.

--Blair "**** posts."