£1100 to spend

Rasher

Jun 20, 2007
what doyou think I should buy and what size frame do I need as I am 6feet tall.
I woul prefer to keep to a hardtail with a decent spec. I want an allround bike good at up and down hills as well as cros country.

any suggestions guys??:)

Rasher said:
what doyou think I should buy and what size frame do I need as I am 6feet tall.
I woul prefer to keep to a hardtail with a decent spec. I want an allround bike good at up and down hills as well as cros country.

any suggestions guys??:)
Why?

...how can anyone here recommend anything?...the size of the bike will be determined by the fit...each mfg has different specs so you actually have to sit and ride the ones that you're interested in

...and who knows what kind of trails you ride?

...I'd be amazed if anyone who posts these questions in a forum actually took any advice offered...that would be just dumb

Jeez

JM01 said:
Why?

...how can anyone here recommend anything?...the size of the bike will be determined by the fit...each mfg has different specs so you actually have to sit and ride the ones that you're interested in

...I'd be amazed if anyone who posts these questions in a forum actually took any advice offered...that would be just dumb

Jeez
WTF!!!as a newbie I was hoping for some considered/experienced opinions on various types of mountain bikes the same way different magazines write reviews on different cars, bikes etc??
Obviously have come to the wrong place, THOUGHT THIS WAS A MOUNTAIN BIKE FORUM:confused: especially if that is the typical numpty type answer I am going to get!!!

JM01 said:
Why?

Jeez

<thwack>

If that's your way of dealing with newbies, maybe a public forum isn't for you, hmm?
:cool:

Rasher said:

Or buy now and pay nothing for 6 months. More info...
Our ref: Z1428B
Fun and fast hardtail
Frame: M4 alloy hardtail with fully manipulated tubes and Mono-stay seatstays
Fork: Fox F90 RL 90mm travel air spring fork with rebound/compression adjustment and lock out
Gears: Shimano M581 LX dual pull front and SRAM X0 long cage rear derailleurs
Shifters: SRAM X9 Aluminium trigger shifters
Chainset: Truvativ Stylo 2 piece crankset
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic discs with G2 Clean Sweep
Wheels: DT custom for Specialized X430 rims built on Specialized Stout disc front and Shimano M-525 rear hubs
Tyres: Specialized Fast Trak Pro 26x2.0 inch dual compound tyres with aramid bead
Handlebars: Specialized XC flat 2014 butted alloy bars
Stem: Specialized adjustable rise forged stem
Saddle: Specialized BG Rival with hollow Cro-Mo rails
Seatpost: 2014 butted alloy post
Pedals/Extras: Shimano M-520 SPD pedals

It's very well specd. A lot of bikers I know of have bought good mid-range bikes and learned the ropes either for on-road, off-road, short distance racing or just sport riding. Buy whatever you feel comfortable with (financially and physically), but do get correctly fitted out for your height.

BTW, don't get too carried away with heaps of progressively more upmarket specifications; leave those to the geeks to play with. Just get what provides you with the comfort and freedom to get out there on 2 wheels and enjoying the cycling experience!
;)

Garyh_GONP07 said:
<thwack>

If that's your way of dealing with newbies, maybe a public forum isn't for you, hmm?
:cool:
thanks mate, that was the type of answer i was looking for:)

So long as you get it sized correctly, that would be a great first mountain bike. :) Sizes vary a lot between manufacturers. For example, at 6'1" I'm XL on a Mongoose and Scott but L on a Cannondale and Giant. My suggestion would be to find a local bike shop to buy from who will let you swap seatposts, handlebars and stems around to get the fit right before you leave the store. If they offer a fee-for-service bike fit service, even better.

There's little point in havnig a bike that's got great specs if it hurts you to ride it. It's worth paying full retail to get this right.

thanks I am going to get measured up on Sunday, have also seen the Orange P7 Pro which seems a well specced bike for the money:)