£299 tandem

Jeremy Parker

Guest
I've long thought about getting a riding-along-the-prom
grade tandem for such things as chauffeuring politicians and
bureaucrats around the bike facilities being done to^H^H for
us. So I sent off for the Tandem offer in the Times.

The bike arrived Wed 19th. It was supposed to go back, to be
exchanged for another one, Fri 21st, but owing to some
failure in communication will now not be picked up until
this Wed., 24th.

The problem is that the bracket for the front disc brake is
mislocated. Someone has obviously tried to bodge things to
fit by adding a bunch of washers under the lower mounting
bolt to cant the calipers forward to be roughly at the disc.
Unfortunately the bracket is too far inboard, so the disc
can only go inside the calipers thanks to one of the brake
pads mysteriously having gone missing. There isn't any
braking action at all.

I will see how a second bike is. Who knows, it may be just a
one-off problem.

Assuming the second bike doesn't have a problem, it might
actually be worth it. Goodness knows what the frame is made
of - the bike weighs about 46 lb. I would guess it's welded,
including that bracket, but who knows. The frame looks
reasonably true, although I haven't given it a detailed
check. The bike is made in Viet Nam. Things must have
changed since those old Peugots hauling ammo down the Ho Chi
Minh Trail

The only parts I recegnise are the rims - Weinmann, and the
rear derailleur Shimano SIS Megarange. It isn't a megarange
block. The largest cog is 28 teeth and the smallest, of 7,
is about 14 or 13. Seat posts, stems and handlebars are
steel, pedal cranks Al, 170 mm.

Two questions:

1. I seem to recall that mail-order bikes must come pre-
adjusted. Is that right? Anway, somebody certainly
operned up the box, and somebody certainly did things
to the front brake, and then, unless there was some
terrible mistake, somebody presumably decided that this
bike was fit for sale. The back brake and gears are
well adjusted.

2. How much standardisation is there among disc brakes? Is
there just one kind of mounting bracket, good for any
kind of brakes, or man? I seem to be beyond the Sheldon
Brown horizon here.

Watch for further bulletins

Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker wrote:

> The problem is that the bracket for the front disc brake
> is mislocated. Someone has obviously tried to bodge things
> to fit by adding a bunch of washers under the lower
> mounting bolt to cant the calipers forward to be roughly
> at the disc. Unfortunately the bracket is too far inboard,
> so the disc can only go inside the calipers thanks to one
> of the brake pads mysteriously having gone missing. There
> isn't any braking action at all.

Getting the caliper centred on the disc with spacer washers
is fairly standard. I have quite a few to mount my Hope
brake on my Marzocchi fork with a Hope Hub so it happens
even at the top end. Unilateral braking sound like a mistake
though ;-)

Tony

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've long thought about getting a riding-along-the-prom
> grade tandem for such things as chauffeuring
> politicians and bureaucrats around the bike facilities
> being done to^H^H for us. So I sent off for the Tandem
> offer in the Times.

As it happens I was in the UK recently and saw that
advert. If you are predominantly a road rider you might
have missed this:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_re-
lease/index.html

Whatever your opinion of the risk, at least be aware that
there is (potentially) a huge force trying to rip the front
wheel out of the fork ends when you brake. Of course, if
your brakes don't work, that cures the problem...

James
--
If I have seen further than others, it is by treading on the
toes of giants. http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

In news:[email protected],
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> typed:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> Jeremy Parker ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>> 2. How much standardisation is there among disc brakes?
>> Is there just one kind of mounting bracket, good for
>> any kind of brakes, or man? I seem to be beyond the
>> Sheldon Brown horizon here.
>
> There is what is called 'International Standard Mount' for
> disk brakes, and one or two proprietary mounts. There is
> certainly a Manitou proprietary mount and a Shimano one.
> But I would expect el-cheapo no name brakes to be
> 'international standard', in which case any of the good
> brake makers can supply you brakes to fit. The best disk
> brakes around these days (except for serious loonie
> downhilling) seem to be Hope Mono Minis.

For a £299 bike, Avid cable discs may be a better choice in
aftermarket stakes. Someone had them for £69 recently, but
can't remember who.

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I've long thought about getting a riding-along-the-
> > prom grade
tandem
> > for such things as chauffeuring politicians and
> > bureaucrats
around
> > the bike facilities being done to^H^H for us. So I sent
> > off for the Tandem offer in the Times.
>
> As it happens I was in the UK recently and saw that
> advert. If you
are
> predominantly a road rider you might have missed this:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_re-
lease/index.html

> Whatever your opinion of the risk, at least be aware that
> there is (potentially) a huge force trying to rip the
> front wheel out of the fork ends when you brake. Of
> course, if your brakes don't work,
that
> cures the problem...
>
> James

Oh sh*t. Thank you. I had read Chris Juden's article (CTC
mag' aug 2003, p53) but had forgotten about it. The problem
is so bloody obvious when pointed out, too.

At this point I'm in denial, of course. The fork does have
lawyers lips, and the QR skewer looks reasonably well
designed with regard to teeth, cam design etc. I've never
heard of the manufacturer, Joy.

Well, I did day "riding-along-the-prom grade".

Time to make myself a cup of tea, I think.

Jeremy Parker