£30 fine for going through Red light, when it was Amber. Is it worth appealing?

bennc7

Sep 2, 2010
Morning all

I am after advice on whether I should a appeal a £30 penalty for going through a red light, when I strongly insist that it was Amber. I was cycling my regular route home, where I approached a traffic light that was red, and as I came to the light it went to Amber and I continued to proceed. As I did a police officer stopped me on the other side and said I went through a red light, i disagreed with him and said it was amber but there was two of them and they both said it was Red and proceeded to write me a ticket. To rub insult to injury, whilst they were standing there writing me a ticket, 6 other cyclists went through when it was red and was not stopped. I am so frustrated, but want to know whether it is worth my time and effort appealing which has to go through the court, or swallow the bad luck and pay it, as its just my word against 2 police officers, so who are they more likely to believe.

Be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Sadly that doesn't sound like a case you would win. Unless the police didn't show up to the appeal.

I don't know about your community but here all of the patrol cars have video cameras in them . You should be able to request to view that tape to see if there is video evidence exonerating you. Other than that you are hosed.
Barring the officers not showing for the hearing .

TKOS said:
Your traffic lights go from Red to Amber? Then Red?

Yeah. In the UK the sequence is a bit different than overhere.

Red - stop
Red+Amber - get ready to go
Green - go
Amber - get ready to stop

swampy1970 said:
Yeah. In the UK the sequence is a bit different than overhere.

Red - stop
Red+Amber - get ready to go
Green - go
Amber - get ready to stop

Thanks.