0 Degree stems - why so hard to find?

Gilders

Nov 1, 2003
Why is it that it's proving so difficult for me to find a zero degree stem for my roadbike?

Doesn't anybody ride them? Are they considered too positionally uncomfortable? Am I being so unreasonable for wanting one?

The only places I have had any luck is on wiggle.co.uk, except that all that falls into this angle range is a rather ugly looking Salsa Moto Ace that's a bit on the lower end of the range and a rather expensive magnesium job from Easton.

If anybody knows of a retailer, preferably internet-based, that sells a good selection of zero-angled stems, PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEASE would you let me know?

Cheers people - keep up the good work!

Gilders said:
Why is it that it's proving so difficult for me to find a zero degree stem for my roadbike?

Doesn't anybody ride them? Are they considered too positionally uncomfortable? Am I being so unreasonable for wanting one?

The only places I have had any luck is on wiggle.co.uk, except that all that falls into this angle range is a rather ugly looking Salsa Moto Ace that's a bit on the lower end of the range and a rather expensive magnesium job from Easton.

If anybody knows of a retailer, preferably internet-based, that sells a good selection of zero-angled stems, PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEASE would you let me know?

Cheers people - keep up the good work!
Nashbar has a threaded stem...not sure if thats what you're looking for though.

Robbie

I'm not sure what you mean by zero degree. If you are looking to have your stem parallel with the ground (flat) you need a 17 degree stem. Some manufacturers call it a 73 degree stem. The head tube on your bike is 73 degrees. Therefore if you wanted the stem lowered to have it parallel to the ground, it would need to be lowered 17 degrees. When I think of a zero degree stem I think that there is NO bend in it what so ever, making it have a rise of 17 degrees when measured to a level ground. It would be perpendicular to the head tube.
Ritchey makes a 17 degree or 73 degree stem which ever way you look at it.
It's the "Ritchey Pro Stem". You can go to their web site, although to view all their products, including that stem, you will have to download their product "pdf" file.
Most of the bigger on-line cycle shops will carry that stem.
Hope that helps. Good luck !

One more thing. That Ritchey Pro stem is also available in 84 degrees.
So, if you want the 73 or 17 degrees, make sure you specify that.
Again....Good luck !

Appreciate you responses, guys - many thanks for both of your time.

To clarify, a zero degree stem (0/90) is one that isn't horizontal to the ground, but which would have zero degree's-worth of rise from the headtube outwards. In other words, the stem would extend out from the headtube at the same angle, thus giving a decent-but-not-too-excessive handlebar rise.

I've been told that the stem on my bike is an 84/06, which doesn't offer enough of an upward rise on one side and, if inverted, places the handlebars far too high and looks, frankly, stupid. However, in light of what you said about 73/17 stems producing a flat angle to the road, I'm wondering if that's actually what I've got, as the upward incline seems to be absolutely minimal when fitted one way round.

Would, then, an 84/06 stem produce a discernable upward handlebar rise, even when fitted on the shallower angle side?

Many thanks again!

Gilders said:

To clarify, a zero degree stem (0/90) is one that isn't horizontal to the ground, but which would have zero degree's-worth of rise from the headtube outwards. In other words, the stem would extend out from the headtube at the same angle, thus giving a decent-but-not-too-excessive handlebar rise.

I've been told that the stem on my bike is an 84/06, which doesn't offer enough of an upward rise on one side and, if inverted, places the handlebars far too high and looks, frankly, stupid. However, in light of what you said about 73/17 stems producing a flat angle to the road, I'm wondering if that's actually what I've got, as the upward incline seems to be absolutely minimal when fitted one way round.

Would, then, an 84/06 stem produce a discernable upward handlebar rise, even when fitted on the shallower angle side?

Many thanks again!
A 90(0) is perpendicular to the steerer.You have an 84/96 and it's either 6* less or 6 degrees more than a 90.Figure it out.

BikeyGuy said:
I'm not sure what you mean by zero degree.
Well, it's a no brainer if you know about stems.So then why the long winded response that doesn't apply?

Gilders said:

Many thanks again!

No, the 84/06 would not produce a great upward rise if you are using it as a -6 degree and not a +6 degree. However, if you put on a 73/17 and used it as a -17, you would definitely notice a difference with the -6.

boudreaux said:
Well, it's a no brainer if you know about stems.So then why the long winded response that doesn't apply?
Of course you KNOW why he asked, as zero degree may mean the stem with respect to the steerer tube, or with respect to horizontal. It seems to me, Boudreaux, that you are using this as yet another chance to be a jerk.

li0scc0 said:
Of course you KNOW why he asked, as zero degree may mean the stem with respect to the steerer tube, or with respect to horizontal. It seems to me, Boudreaux, that you are using this as yet another chance to be a jerk.
A stem that is parallel to the ground is a 73 or -17. A no brainer. The poster was asking about a 90 degree stem.Easy enough to figure out.If you have a brain.FWIW, I don't need an excuse to be a jerk, but thanks anyway.

I assume the reason there aren't many 0 degree stems is becuase they are limiting (speaking from both a manufacturing and retail point of view). You can't flip them upside-down to achieve a different feel (assuming you have a clamp-on stem, not a shafted stem). If you're looking for fine tuning in your bar height, many bikes use a few headset spacers which you can move in combination with flipping over your stem to get some fine adjustment.

cheers,