'02 Jekyll 500 Upgrade Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zt, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Zt

    Zt Guest

    Had the bike for 1 year +, only now starting to ride it exclusively off-road and I wanna spend some
    more $$$ to improve out-of-box performance/handling.

    I'm riding some fairly steep technical terrain: single track, lots of rock outcroppings, roots and
    loose (natural) gravel. I'm 5'11, 180lb, the bike is a Large. This size was the shop recommendation,
    didn't think about it much since I spent so much time commuting on asphalt.

    Now that I'm paying attention to off-road books/advice, seems like I don't have as much clearance
    between the top tube and my....self (< 1 inch) as is most often recommended (4-5 inches), but I'd
    like to make this frame work if possible

    The only thing that isn't stock are the Avid Mechanicals, what else would you (have you?) changed?

    This is what I'm thinking in terms of upgrades so far, tell me if you have alternative
    suggestions and why:
    1) Front Shock: Currently using HeadShock Super (no adjustment), I'm thinking of a Manitou Comp
    (100/120mm)
    2) Bars: Currently has Easton EA70 flat bars, thinking about EA70 Monkey Bar Riser (2 or 2.5"
    rise?), or the EC70 Monkey Lite XC.

    The rear shock is a FoxFloat R (no lockout), this isn't really causing me any grief since I don't do
    a lot of standing on the uphill and I'm not too enthused about spending the $$$ to upgrade to
    something I can lockout.

    Anything else? Some have suggested a shorter stem in addition to the risers bars for better
    maneuverability, not sure about this. Thanks for any additional opinions. zN

    Tags:

  2. "Zt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Had the bike for 1 year +, only now starting to ride it exclusively
    off-road
    > and I wanna spend some more $$$ to improve out-of-box
    performance/handling.

    > I'm riding some fairly steep technical terrain: single track, lots of rock outcroppings, roots and
    > loose (natural) gravel. I'm 5'11, 180lb, the bike
    is
    > a Large. This size was the shop recommendation, didn't think about it much since I spent so much
    > time commuting on asphalt.

    You shouldn't have too, the shop should have sorted that out for you.

    > Now that I'm paying attention to off-road books/advice, seems like I don't have as much clearance
    > between the top tube and my....self (< 1 inch)

    D'oh! brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

    as is
    > most often recommended (4-5 inches), but I'd like to make this frame work
    if
    > possible

    If you decide you can't get on with it, you might get lucky advertising for to swap a large frame
    for a medium. If you do this consider keeping your rear shock etc as you know how much this has been
    thrashed (or not).

    Steve.

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Zt wrote:

    > The only thing that isn't stock are the Avid Mechanicals, what else would you (have you?) changed?

    The frame. The forks. Any Coda branded equipment.

    > This is what I'm thinking in terms of upgrades so far, tell me if you have alternative suggestions
    > and why:
    > 1) Front Shock: Currently using HeadShock Super (no adjustment), I'm thinking of a Manitou Comp
    > (100/120mm)

    Won't work. Cannondales will only accept headshox (sucks, eh?) without a huge amount of
    faffing about.

  4. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 03:37:06 +0000, Zt wrote:

    > Had the bike for 1 year +, only now starting to ride it exclusively off-road and I wanna spend
    > some more $$$ to improve out-of-box performance/handling.
    >
    > I'm riding some fairly steep technical terrain: single track, lots of rock outcroppings, roots and
    > loose (natural) gravel. I'm 5'11, 180lb, the bike is a Large. This size was the shop
    > recommendation, didn't think about it much since I spent so much time commuting on asphalt.
    >
    > Now that I'm paying attention to off-road books/advice, seems like I don't have as much clearance
    > between the top tube and my....self (< 1 inch) as is most often recommended (4-5 inches), but I'd
    > like to make this frame work if possible
    >
    > The only thing that isn't stock are the Avid Mechanicals, what else would you (have you?) changed?
    >
    > This is what I'm thinking in terms of upgrades so far, tell me if you have alternative suggestions
    > and why:
    > 1) Front Shock: Currently using HeadShock Super (no adjustment), I'm thinking of a Manitou Comp
    > (100/120mm) 2) Bars: Currently has Easton EA70 flat bars, thinking about EA70 Monkey Bar Riser
    > (2 or 2.5" rise?), or the EC70 Monkey Lite XC.
    >
    > The rear shock is a FoxFloat R (no lockout), this isn't really causing me any grief since I don't
    > do a lot of standing on the uphill and I'm not too enthused about spending the $$$ to upgrade to
    > something I can lockout.
    >
    > Anything else? Some have suggested a shorter stem in addition to the risers bars for better
    > maneuverability, not sure about this. Thanks for any additional opinions. zN

    Sorry for the for sale plug, but this may be the cheapest route.

    I have some parts from a jekyll 3000sx I would be glad to get rid of. 3 stems, different lengths.
    lefty with dampening + lockout with hub, wheel, + rotor, freshly serviced by 'cdale. New warranty
    replacement fox float RL, with lockout.

    While I'm not in love with cannondale, I've ridden headshocks, and a lefty is a lot better, and it's
    an easy change.

    Shoot me an email, if your interested.

    -Bruce

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I'm about 5'10"/5'11" and really wanted a 2003 Jekyll 500. Two shops agreed that a medium was the
    right size for me (but only had large frames). I went to a third shop that had a medium 400 to try
    and I let them talk me into a large 500. I kept it for a day before I returned it. I couldn't even
    stand over it.

    If you keep the headshok you can probably get a short upright stem from cannondale, and raise the
    bars and shorten the reach without buying a new handlebar. I found the handlebars (even on the
    large) to be impossibly low for me (although I like to be very upright on the bike).

    I'd fix the fit first, and then worry about the other stuff.

    Steve.