02 Mavic Kysrium ssc or brand new Easton Circuits on Cervelo Soloist Team?

effectivepull

Dec 30, 2005
I just got a 07 Cervelo Soloist Team w/ SRAM Rival. The bike came with Easton Circuit Wheels. I have a pair of Black '02 (not 100% sure they're 02, may be 03) Mavic Kysrium SSC wheels with those beautiful black flat/aero spokes. To my knowledge, the Mavic hubs have never been serviced.

Here's the dilemna, I'm not sure which wheels to run.

What do you all think?

effectivepull said:
I just got a 07 Cervelo Soloist Team w/ SRAM Rival. The bike came with Easton Circuit Wheels. I have a pair of Black '02 (not 100% sure they're 02, may be 03) Mavic Kysrium SSC wheels with those beautiful black flat/aero spokes. To my knowledge, the Mavic hubs have never been serviced.

Here's the dilemna, I'm not sure which wheels to run.

What do you all think?
FWIW, Mavic hubs are simple to service:

http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/m/maintenance_FTS_L_461.php

Your SSC's may be slightly different, but the basic design has not changed for a long time. Very simple. If you can't get the Mavic lube, Phil's Tenacious works fine.

i assume the front wheel is relatively similar (minus the freewheel, of course)?

so i take it you'd go with the mavics over the eastons?

effectivepull said:
i assume the front wheel is relatively similar (minus the freewheel, of course)?

That link is for routine freehub servicing. Both front and rear hubs have cartridge bearings that are interference fit. They can be driven out with a drift punch and a hammer and then replaced using a press or hammer with an appropriate size socket (careful!). You can get bearings from Mavic dealers.

No preference. I was just responding to your "never serviced" comment.

effectivepull said:

I've had the Circuits for 14K miles now and really like them, but certainly wouldn't turn down a set of SSC (as long as I don't have to pay for them). Since you've already got both wheelsets, why not try them both on the bike and see which you prefer? If you have identical tires on them, would be interesting to see hear your impressions of how the different wheels feel on the bike.

great suggestion! not sure if i will go that route though - i might be able to get a few bucks more if i don't put any miles on the circuits - that's if i end up selling them... :)

Ksyriums probably more durable and lighter, Circuits stiffer and substantially lower drag at higher speeds. Which do you prefer?

being a triathlete, low drag and aero are close to my heart. great input. thank you.

have you ever ridden the circuits?

effectivepull said:
being a triathlete, low drag and aero are close to my heart. great input. thank you.

have you ever ridden the circuits?
I've never ridden either. The Ksyriums are relatively high drag, mostly due to the fat Al spokes, but perhaps also due to the boxy rim. The ES version soaks up 33W at 50km/h, in comparison with 48W for a 36 spoke, box rim wheel and 26W for a cheap, moderately aero wheel such as an R550.
I don't have a drag figure for the eastons, but, at 28mm depth, they are deeper profile than the R550, with a similar low spoke count of steel (slim) spokes. The eastons shouldn't be any worse for drag than the R550, and are probably a little better.