03 Giant TCR composite vs 04 model

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by HandyAndy, Apr 14, 2004.

1. HandyAndy

HandyAndy New Member

Hi does anyone know if the 04 version of Giants tcr composite frame differs from the 03 version?(besides the graphics).I tried to look on the website but couldnt find anything.From what I've heard these frames are amazing and good value for money.

Tags:

2. p55mac

p55mac New Member

Check out the links below. Epinions.com has the top three ’03 models listed with full specs. The TCR Composite 2 at $2k is the new addition for ’04. All four share the same frame. Test-rode a large TCR-2 recently and found the Easton bars @ 45cm too wide, and their medium is specced the same. Apart from the ride, the fit is too aggressive for me, definitely a more compact body position that had me stretched out and low onto the bars. A triple, which I prefer, isn’t recommended because of the increased chain angle created by the short chainstays (15.75). These bikes are built for race, and even if I didn’t, would buy one if I were in my 20’s or 30’s.

As far as the actual frame, I believe their unchanged for '04. Any LBS that carries Giant can tell you or will call a Giant rep to find out.

www.epinions.com/bike-Bicycles-All-Giant-Composite

www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/giant_tcr_composite_1

3. temoore

temoore New Member

I believe the main difference is the 03 came w/ an aero seat post, which some seem to not care for, and the 04 has a round seat post. I have an 04. I tried to fit a triple, did not like the way it fitted (FD touched down tube when on inner sprocket, and getting it set was difficult). Switched to compact crank (34/50). Happy with the end result. It is a good climbing bike, so even w/ 39/27, climbing seemed easier than my last bike. I love the bike, it is quick and very comfortable on long rides. Depending on how low you like your bars relative to your seat height, if the frame is used, make sure there is enough steering tube length to be comfortable. With a CF tube, most LBS recommend 3cm max of tube below the stem.
    I am 55 years old, a recreational rider that does long rides, fair amount of hills, and I love the bike.

4. ewitz

ewitz New Member

The only difference if the frame/fork is on the TCR 2. Last year all TCR composite frames came with a full carbon fork. On the 04 TCR 2 they are using a carbon fork with an alloy steerer. Otherwise they are the same. They did switch to a high gloss finish for 04.

5. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Isn't the fork blade design different with the '04s as well? I was under the impression that this year's forks were less bladed, and narrower. More traditionally shaped, in other words.

6. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

Just bought a '03 medium frame. I called everywhere within a 150 mile radius and got one for a very good price. I wanted the '03 because I like the matte finish vs. the '04 gloss finish. It appears to be the same frame except for the cosmetic changes. And like ewitz mentioned, I think the all '03 forks were carbon vs. alloy for the '04 TCR2. I was expecting to get an alloy steerer on my '03 but was pleasantly surprised that it came with carbon. It is an awesome frame. Extremely fast and light. Frame weighs about 2.2lbs and about 3.1 to 3.2lbs with fork.

7. p55mac

p55mac New Member

Hmmm. I may give it another look. Test-rode the bike only briefly because I didn’t bring my pedals & clips. Felt like I was tiptoeing around on those teeny-weeny Time Impacts with my size 13 tennis shoes. Though compared to my old Trek I did notice the ride dampening qualities of carbon almost immediately. My current triple has 29in low 28/26. Giant’s Ultegra set-up would give me a 39in (39/27). Still seems a bit too high even with the weight savings. Looking at a gear chart a 50/34 and 12/27 cass. with 34in low seems ideal with only a couple of near duplications (still usable). It could work. LBS said the stem can be reversed and spacers added to bring the bars up, maybe even more so with an alloy steerer.

My other concern with Giant are possible reliability issues with the integrated headset, especially in a carbon headtube (bye bye frame). Trek’s 5200 has internal.

8. skareb

skareb New Member

I did a check on these as well on january but its on the alu frame, there the same as CF, what I found is the rear chainstay is reinforce with double curve one horrizontally and one vertically. And the seatstay is curve too. I've some pic here but you've to see the real thing to really know what I'm talking about

http://www.shutterspeed.com.my/TCR2.htm

9. ewitz

ewitz New Member

frame Giant Composite construction, Compact Road Design, 950g
    fork Giant Composite Areo SL, 1 1/8", w/carbon steerer, 355g

= 2.87 lb for frame and fork