04' Dura Ace worth it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by glyde, Feb 6, 2004.

1. glyde

glyde New Member

I have read reviews but I would be interested in what 'real people' believe regarding the '04 Dura Ace.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Worth is relative. But, if you just have an excess cash problem or need poseur points it doesn't matter.

3. glyde

glyde New Member

Polls are relative by nature. Why is it that every poll I have ever seen on these boards, at some point, ends up being disected regarding syntax, word choice/exclusion, and relativity? Good gosh! These are straw polls whose point is to take a quick survery of general feelings and attitudes. Polls are more like weather vanes, providing general direction and information; NOT doppler radar.

4. Cyclesmith

Cyclesmith New Member

IMHO Dura-Ace 7800 has its pros and cons....Love the BB....hate the thinner chain. It all has to do with what your looking for in a bike. If your just gonna tool around town and maybe do a few events, don't bother with 7800.....if your gonna do a lot of competivive riding then it may be a wise choice for you.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

I forgot...Do you race, and are you sponsored?

6. hammeron2wheels

hammeron2wheels New Member

Just rode my new dura ace '04 group today...

1) Front derailleur shifts up to the big ring with the ease of a rear derailleur shift.

2) Cranks are so much stiffer and the drive train seems much smoother. Your power transfer feels purer than the old dura ace.

3) Hoods are much more comfortable. Much shorter throw for shifting and braking power seems stronger (but it could just be the new pads).

4) For those of you that would install the group yourself (like me) it is a dream to install. Very simple and the bottom bracket is a cinch. Easiest group I've ever put together.

If these things are important to you then I would say you will get quite a bit of bang for your buck. There is clearly a noticeable difference over old Dura Ace....that's not to say that old Dura Ace is not an excellent group as well. Incidentally...mine is for sale if anyone's interested.

7. HobieDude16

HobieDude16 New Member

youve got a pm waiting...

8. patch70

patch70 New Member

I'd be willing to bet the cost of a new DA '04 groupset that if we were to blindfold you and have you ride the same bike with various cranks ranging from DA '04 to Campy Mirage that you would not be able to tell the difference in stiffness...

9. hammeron2wheels

hammeron2wheels New Member

You know, patch70, when I bought the group I thought EXACTLY the same thing but the DA 10 cranks really have a different feeling altogether. I don't think it's the arms that feel stiffer...it's the bottom bracket. The different bottom bracket makes it feel totally different than DA 9.

I'm a heavy guy at 200 lbs too so I have a tendency to reveal flex where it hides if you know what i mean...:D

10. ccurry007

ccurry007 New Member

Well, the wheels sure are nice. I've now done some long outings, technical descents, wind, etc. I like these wheels alot.
    The crank is certainly nice as well. but I'm not heavy enough to really expose the differences (Campy cranks on everything else)
    The drivetrain and brakes - nothing special. Just like any died in the wool Campy guy, I'll take a machine gun Ergo lever any day.
    Lemme say that again. I really like these wheels. Buy those, leave the rest if you're already on DA9. Unless you really after the tenth cog (I've been on 10 for a few years, didn't wanna use less)

11. pudster

pudster New Member

I don't think that you have to be a racer to appreciate DA parts. I don't race anymore but I have the DA 04 and I love it. I am not some poser or have more money than God but I like nice stuff. The 04 DA is very nice and I think that it is excellant quality. Not better than Campy but on par with it and worth the money considering how much record is.

12. mrowkoob

mrowkoob New Member

I have record 2004 (with fsa cranks) on one bike and DA 04 on another. I cant feel the difference in stiffness in the cranks (and I´m a heavy push and pull rider). I´d say the most noticable difference in the new DA is the brakes who basically are absolutely excellent and a vast improvement to the old ones.

13. Leonel

Leonel New Member

I also have a complete 9 speed DA gruppo for sale in case anyone here's interested.

14. joule

joule New Member

Just rode 2 bikes 2 weeks ago. One with DA 7800, one with Ultegra. Besides the obvious weight benefit and the looks, the DA did shift smoother when stressed. Road about 10 miles on both over various inclines. But agree that if you are not into racing and rather save the bucks or put the money elsewhere on the bike, it's probably the smart move. In my case, I figured to focus on the frame and components initially then later upgrade wheels if I do get competitive since it's always nice to have 2 sets of wheels when you race. So yeah, I spent the bucks for the DA, but the last bike I bought was 30 years ago so I figured "I'm worth it".

15. lokstah

lokstah New Member

It's got a strong "what the hell" draw to it. :)

16. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Which type of poseur is more contemptable - a guy with a euro-pro super-trick frame with low-end parts? or a guy with a no-frills conventional frame and a high zoot gruppo?

To my way of thinking, the mechanical side of the coin is much less about image than the decals on the tubes. If you're going to skew the price balance, I'd much rather see it go to the parts than the frame.

17. bcwildthing

bcwildthing New Member

I might be interested in an 9-speed dura-ace gruppo if you could give me a price.

18. Leonel

Leonel New Member

Send you a PM

19. dhk

dhk New Member

Are you sure you're feeling torsional flex in the crankarms and not just lateral flex in the frame? I'd think the BB and frame construction have more to do with the stiffness you feel than the crank arms themselves.

I've got the FSA carbon cranks with a Megatech OS BB on my new frame, and it feels plenty stiff to me.....can't detect any bending or twisting of the crank arms.