'04 Master's, Jr's Natz to Park City

Bikerecker

Guest
They were actually willing to pay for the Junior and Master's events. Good for them. Bad for us
lowlanders. Greg

Bikerecker wrote:

> They were actually willing to pay for the Junior and Master's events. Good for them. Bad for us
> lowlanders. Greg

I heard it's a package deal with NORBA as well...... come on over and suffer the altitude. I'll be
here to watch. Can't wait for the rich folk to ***** about street closures and access problems(to
thier x-million dollar "vaction" cabins.) Oh and as far as I know "Park City" wasn't told this was
in the works. Oh boy Oh boy I can't wait for the contoversy. People here just hate to be
inconvienced.

In all seriousness expect a rolling course, lots of long hills, all at 6500' or higher. ITT will
most likely be on an old stretch of interstate outside of town.... Pro/1/2's used it in the
early 90's.

"Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> expect a rolling course, lots of long hills, all at 6500' or higher.

Between the high cost of travel to and lodging in/around Park City and the altitude, I expect that
the races will be relatively poorly attended. At least those were the issues raised and opinions
expressed among the masters riders I was around when this news broke.

Andy Coggan

In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > expect a rolling course, lots of long hills, all at 6500' or higher.
>
> Between the high cost of travel to and lodging in/around Park City and the altitude, I expect that
> the races will be relatively poorly attended. At least those were the issues raised and opinions
> expressed among the masters riders I was around when this news broke.

Steven Sheffield will know the most about this, but having been there for the Olympics the altitude
will be an issue but it won't be hard to find reasonable accomodations within an hour's drive. Now
finding a decent meal near SLC...? That is the bigger problem unless you like "family dining" at one
of the dozens of establishments that pattern themselves after Denny's.

BTW, I thought Kentucky was awarded the Masters Road events for back to back years?

-WG

On 8/26/03 5:43 AM, in article 260820030441057251%[email protected], "warren"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> expect a rolling course, lots of long hills, all at 6500' or higher.
>>
>> Between the high cost of travel to and lodging in/around Park City and the altitude, I expect
>> that the races will be relatively poorly attended. At least those were the issues raised and
>> opinions expressed among the masters riders I was around when this news broke.
>
> Steven Sheffield will know the most about this, but having been there for the Olympics the
> altitude will be an issue but it won't be hard to find reasonable accomodations within an hour's
> drive. Now finding a decent meal near SLC...? That is the bigger problem unless you like "family
> dining" at one of the dozens of establishments that pattern themselves after Denny's.

Housing should not be a problem ... There are suites hotels all over the valley that go for
$35/night, or $200/week ... And it will be off-season up at the Park City resorts, so there may very
well be relatively inexpensive housing available at altitude as well.

There is good food to be found ... But you do have to look for it, and you will likely spend a few
pennies ...

I can heartily recommend Ichiban (sushi in downtown SLC), Mikado (sushi in the Cottonwood area), the
Porcupine Pub & Grill (at the mouth of Big Cottonwood canyon), the Pie (pizza near the U of U), and
Lone Star Tacqueria (on Ft. Union/7200 South at 2300 East).

> BTW, I thought Kentucky was awarded the Masters Road events for back to back years?
>
> -WG

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

The news in Louisville was that they'd be hosting Master's Nats next year also. It was even in a
newspaper article. By the way, I thought Louisville did an outstanding job this year. The road race
course was one of the most beautiful I've ever had the pleasure to suffer through.

Mark VandenBerghe

> "Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > expect a rolling course, lots of long hills, all at 6500' or higher.
>
> Between the high cost of travel to and lodging in/around Park City and the altitude, I expect that
> the races will be relatively poorly attended. At least those were the issues raised and opinions
> expressed among the
masters
> riders I was around when this news broke.
>
> Andy Coggan

Andy Coggan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Between the high cost of travel to and lodging in/around Park City and the altitude, I expect that
> the races will be relatively poorly attended.

Maybe it would help if they gave away more jerseys.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
> I really enjoyed the 1988? nats here.

I remember them because almost none of our state qualifiers went. Only guys who were on the national
team or had good team contracts went i.e. no one that had to pay their own way. When I asked one of
our qualifiers why he wasn't going he said "Why should I spend a lot to get my ass kicked when I can
go do XYZ crit instead and make some money?" So I too would expect attendance to drop.

I'm not sure it's a smart move to consolidate nationals at a high altitude location.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

[email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> They were actually willing to pay for the Junior and Master's events. Good for them. Bad for us
> lowlanders. Greg

I was at a bike club meeting yesterday, when one of the Louisville riders showed up with a copy of
the "dear john" letter that Louisville got yesterday. It basically said, "sorry, Park City gave us
more money". A lot of riders don't know it, but "Papa John", from Papa John's pizza, is a local
cyclist, which is why they were one of the advertisers at this years masters nationals.

"Ken Hart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > They were actually willing to pay for the Junior and Master's events.
Good
> > for them. Bad for us lowlanders. Greg
>
> I was at a bike club meeting yesterday, when one of the Louisville riders showed up with a copy of
> the "dear john" letter that Louisville got yesterday. It basically said, "sorry, Park City gave us
> more money". A lot of riders don't know it, but "Papa John", from Papa John's pizza, is a local
> cyclist, which is why they were one of the advertisers at this years masters nationals.

A Pizza Vendor is the perfect sponsor for The Fattie Nationals.

>>Between the high cost of travel to and lodging in/around Park City and the altitude, I expect that
>>the races will be relatively poorly attended. At least those were the issues raised and opinions
>>expressed among the masters riders I was around when this news broke.
>

> Steven Sheffield will know the most about this, but having been there for the Olympics the
> altitude will be an issue but it won't be hard to find reasonable accomodations within an
> hour's drive.

there may even be package deals in conjunction... Summer is slow season around here, if you look you
will find.

Now finding a
> decent meal near SLC...?

you just have to look harder, there are lot's of good resturants around... trust me I was in
resturants for 15 years here.

That is the bigger problem unless you like
> "family dining" at one of the dozens of establishments that pattern themselves after Denny's.

Now on the other hand I will not deney the over abundance of the afore mentioned joints, and watch
out for icecream parlors, at least in the valley.

> There is good food to be found ... But you do have to look for it, and you will likely spend a few
> pennies ...
>
> I can heartily recommend Ichiban (sushi in downtown SLC), Mikado (sushi in the Cottonwood area),
> the Porcupine Pub & Grill (at the mouth of Big Cottonwood canyon), the Pie (pizza near the U of
> U), and Lone Star Tacqueria (on Ft. Union/7200 South at 2300 East).

Park city area: spendy: Ichiban (there's one up here to), Chez Betty, The Riverhorse Cafe (not a
diner), affordable: Sandwiches from Legers... I'd tell you how to find em but then I'd have to well
you know.... Wastch Brew Pub, Morning Ray cafe, Good breakfast but can be leisurely paced, El
chubasco the list goes on.

Bob Schwartz wrote:

> Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I really enjoyed the 1988? nats here.
>

> I remember them because almost none of our state qualifiers went. Only guys who were on the
> national team or had good team contracts went i.e. no one that had to pay their own way. When I
> asked one of our qualifiers why he wasn't going he said "Why should I spend a lot to get my ass
> kicked when I can go do XYZ crit instead and make some money?" So I too would expect attendance
> to drop.

Keep in mind that those were the two years that that Lance fella from Texas was here and so was
Jonas Carney... those were very fast fields. Also the race locations were scatterd all over thre
counties, so there was lot's of travel time involved. The Courthouse crit was the best though. I
currently live on the Circuit course from one of those years. Hills.

Bikerecker wrote:

> They were actually willing to pay for the Junior and Master's events. Good for them. Bad for us
> lowlanders. Greg

I think I'll go for the sole purpose of painting penises and vaginas on the courses. Too bad no one
will show up to see them.

>A lot of riders don't know it, but "Papa John", from Ken Hart wrote:
Papa
>John's pizza, is a local cyclist, which is why they were one of the advertisers at this years
>masters nationals.

Please elaborate; the owner of Papa John's was a significant sponsor of the Louisville races? And he
is a competitive cyclist? Thanks, Greg

"gwhite" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Bikerecker wrote:
> >
> > They were actually willing to pay for the Junior and Master's events.
Good
> > for them. Bad for us lowlanders. Greg
>

> I think I'll go for the sole purpose of painting penises and vaginas on the courses. Too bad no
> one will show up to see them.

That would have been fun to paint penises and vaginas in the snow at the Salt Lake City Olympics.

On 8/26/03 5:59 PM, in article [email protected], "Fred Marx"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> affordable: Sandwiches from Legers... I'd tell you how to find em but then I'd have to well you
> know....

Hope you can tell this semi-Utahn-rhymes-with-crouton!! Been looking for a really good deli/sandwich
place since I got here before the Olympics.

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

morning ray has been gone for some time now...

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> That would have been fun to paint penises and vaginas in the snow at the Salt Lake City Olympics.

Can you say "Secret Service?" If a marmot farted, they caught it on IR. They were polite
fellas, though.