'04 MTB Lineups

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Derek, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. Derek

    Derek Guest

    What is everyones opinions on the 2004 MTB Lineups from the various manufacturers? Is there anything
    that has risen in value since '03? any new models worth considering? I'm in the $1k to $1.6k price
    range, where the bottom of the line dual susp. bikes from kona seem a good bet, they seem to have
    ditched the kahuna and replaced it with the base model kikapu which has dropped a fair bit in price.
    Is there anything else i should be looking at? Considering also a GT Avalanche 0.0 (or 0.5) HT. The
    Giant AC-3 is just above my price range, but i'll consider it a competitor too. I'll be doing 95% of
    my riding offroad through bush trails and singletracks, and hopefully once i get some confidence up,
    some more serious downhill/technical tracks (although probably not too extreme!). I've heard good
    things about Norco, but not anything model-specific. Anything in that range worth a look within my
    price range? Other peoples opinions are crucial when buying a MTB for offroad use, as its not
    exactly possible to test-ride one in conditions that they will be used in.

    The way i see it is this, Giant seems overpriced, GT is good value for money, but dont have a
    duallie in my price range, Kona is good value but shaky components (which i dont mind upgrading when
    the time comes for *snap*)

    Here's my list of bikes to look at, if anyone can rule out, or give me the thumbs up on any of them,
    or make additions i'd be grateful.

    '04 Kona Kikapu '03 Kona Kahuna '04 GT Avalanche 1.0 (and upgrade forks + brakes) '04 GT Avalanche
    0.0 '03 Giant AC-3 '04 Giant Iguana (plus upgrades)

    Tags:

  2. "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > The way i see it is this, Giant seems overpriced,

    LMFAO! Overpriced!? Yet you mention the range of GT Avalanches in the same sentence. Talk about
    overpriced! Stick with Giant, cowboy. You won't be disappointed. The only way they could be
    considered "overpriced" is if your visiting LBS that charge too much...

    > '03 Giant AC-3 '04 Giant Iguana (plus upgrades)

    The Iguana doesn't really need upgrades. Although the Hayes MX-1 Discs have received a few of
    negative reviews....I think they work rather well. Sure, there ARE better disc brakes out there but
    for value for money I think Hayes wins. The Manitou forks are brilliant! Much better than anything
    ROX produce for the same price. Buy a GIANT....you won't be disappointed!

  3. Derek

    Derek Guest

    > for the same price. Buy a GIANT....you won't be disappointed!

    How much are they paying you? :)

    I'll give them a bit more thought then.

  4. Derek

    Derek Guest

    > wins. The Manitou forks are brilliant! Much better than anything ROX produce

    I see! i was looking at the '03 model which seemed to have the rock shox forks. Damn these choices!!
    In the end i'm just going to have to flip a coin :(

    I've also heard of a few incidents with iguanas breaking in two. That was my main reason for
    discounting them.

  5. Dyno

    Dyno Guest

    check out the norco fluid 2 or 3 2004 model.. i got a fluid 1 and love it.. all fluids have
    hydros..i also got a norco vps drop 03 but that more of a freeride bike.. "Derek"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > What is everyones opinions on the 2004 MTB Lineups from the various manufacturers? Is there
    > anything that has risen in value since '03? any new models worth considering? I'm in the $1k to
    > $1.6k price range, where the bottom of the line dual susp. bikes from kona seem a good bet, they
    > seem to have ditched the kahuna and replaced it with the base model kikapu which has dropped a
    > fair bit in price. Is there anything else i should be looking at? Considering also a GT Avalanche
    > 0.0 (or 0.5) HT. The Giant AC-3 is just above my price range, but i'll consider it a competitor
    > too. I'll be doing 95% of my riding offroad through bush trails and singletracks, and hopefully
    > once i get some confidence up, some more serious downhill/technical tracks (although probably not
    > too extreme!). I've heard good things about Norco, but not anything model-specific. Anything in
    > that range worth a look within my price range? Other peoples opinions are crucial when buying a
    > MTB for offroad use, as its not exactly possible to test-ride one in conditions that they will be
    > used in.
    >
    > The way i see it is this, Giant seems overpriced, GT is good value for money, but dont have a
    > duallie in my price range, Kona is good value but shaky components (which i dont mind upgrading
    > when the time comes for *snap*)
    >
    > Here's my list of bikes to look at, if anyone can rule out, or give me the thumbs up on any of
    > them, or make additions i'd be grateful.
    >
    > '04 Kona Kikapu '03 Kona Kahuna '04 GT Avalanche 1.0 (and upgrade forks + brakes) '04 GT Avalanche
    > 0.0 '03 Giant AC-3 '04 Giant Iguana (plus upgrades)

  6. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "dyno" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > check out the norco fluid 2 or 3 2004 model.. i got a fluid 1 and love
    it..
    > all fluids have hydros..i also got a norco vps drop 03 but that more
    of a
    > freeride bike..

    What sort of riding are you doing with the Fluid? Any problems with it so far? Anything you'd
    change? I want a duallie and getting a Norco is a cheap way to do it - I just don't like them as
    much as the Specialized Enduro's... but I can get Norco cheaper then a Spec'. Why'd you go for the
    Fluid1.0 and not the 2.0 or 3.0?

    thanks! hippy

  7. "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > for the same price. Buy a GIANT....you won't be disappointed!
    >
    > How much are they paying you? :)

    Robert Incognito is no way associated (or sponsored ;-) ) by the GIANT
    bicycle company and the thoughts and opinions expressed are solely his own.

  8. "Derek" <[email protected]ha.org> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > for the same price. Buy a GIANT....you won't be disappointed!
    >
    > How much are they paying you? :)
    >
    > I'll give them a bit more thought then.

    Also give some thought to the new Giant VT range, as well as the NRS bikes. These bikes are ideal
    for trail rides, XC racing and 24 hr races. They'd even be fine for the odd bit of downhill as long
    a you were only doing it for fun.

    Cheers Peter
    - owner of Giant XcX, but in no way connected to Giant Bicycles

  9. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...

    > > wins. The Manitou forks are brilliant! Much better than anything ROX produce
    >
    > I see! i was looking at the '03 model which seemed to have the rock shox forks. Damn these
    > choices!! In the end i'm just going to have to flip a coin :(
    >
    > I've also heard of a few incidents with iguanas breaking in two. That was my main reason for
    > discounting them.

    The whole Giant range has a new fluid formed Al frame. I ride a Giant Yukon, and it has been pretty
    good to me so far.

    Only issues:

    * Poor tyres - I bought a pair of Geax Evolution tyres and these are great for the riding I do.

    * Fork isn't fantastic, but OK.

    * Rims are too weak for me. I weigh 100kgs and created a flat spot doing bunny hops. I will be
    changing over to different rims soon (just bought a pair of Altrax rims from ebay, but now not
    sure if they're right for me).

    Good luck with your purchase!

    All the best,

    Tim