'04 Veloce vs Centaur vs Chorus vs Record

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Aside from price, prestige, weight, and finish, is there a
    real reason (e.g., reliability, shift ease, braking, feel,
    maintainability) to choose one of the above over the others?

    I'm looking at am '04 parts list, and it appears the
    Veloce hub is a step down. So, right now I'm thinking
    Veloce with Centaur hubs. Any other components where a
    change would be in order?

    Thanks,

    -=Dave=-

    Tags:

  2. Jeff & Jane

    Jeff & Jane Guest

    I would just get the Centaur group, worth the extra $150-$200. I have 01
    Chorus and if I was buying now I would get Centaur.
    > Aside from price, prestige, weight, and finish, is there
    > a real reason (e.g., reliability, shift ease, braking,
    > feel, maintainability) to choose one of the above over
    > the others?
    >
    > I'm looking at am '04 parts list, and it appears the
    > Veloce hub is a step down. So, right now I'm thinking
    > Veloce with Centaur hubs. Any other components where a
    > change would be in order?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > -=Dave=-

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Aside from price, prestige, weight, and finish, is there
    > a real reason (e.g., reliability, shift ease, braking,
    > feel, maintainability) to choose one of the above over
    > the others?
    >
    > I'm looking at am '04 parts list, and it appears the
    > Veloce hub is a step down. So, right now I'm thinking
    > Veloce with Centaur hubs.

    That's a good combo.

    > Any other components where a change would be in order?

    Centaur chainrings theoretically last longer than Veloce,
    Centaur Ergos have holes in downshift levers for a better
    feel. Other than that, no good reason to have all-Centaur+
    if weight is not a concern as function is the same. Many of
    the designs and small parts are the same or very similar,
    Mirage and Xenon included to some extent. See the Spare
    Parts section of the Campagnolo website.

    ~PB

  4. dave-<< Aside from price, prestige, weight, and finish, is
    there a real reason (e.g., reliability, shift ease, braking,
    feel, maintainability) to choose one of the above over the
    others? >><BR><BR>

    Nope-functionally they are all the same-

    dave-<< I'm looking at am '04 parts list, and it appears the
    Veloce hub is a step down. So, right now I'm thinking Veloce
    with Centaur hubs. Any other components where a change would
    be in order? >><BR><BR>

    Good choice altho nothing really wrong with the Veloce hubs

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  5. Rapunzel

    Rapunzel Guest

    Dave wrote:

    *I don't think so, The rear hub has sealed bearings and work
    just fine, they are not that different from Record hubs of
    years past, except for the bearings.

    I have a set of these built on Galli Top Pro tubular rims
    with Vittoria All weather Pro tires. These are the wheels
    and tires I use when the roads are rainy, wet, slippery and
    cold. They work just fine for this.

    IMO, the only thing you give up over the current Chorus &
    Record is weight.

    Bernice

    > I'm looking at am '04 parts list, and it appears the
    > Veloce hub is a step down.

  6. Wort

    Wort Guest

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:52:03 -0500, Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Aside from price, prestige, weight, and finish, is there
    >a real reason (e.g., reliability, shift ease, braking,
    >feel, maintainability) to choose one of the above over
    >the others?
    >
    >I'm looking at am '04 parts list, and it appears the Veloce
    >hub is a step down. So, right now I'm thinking Veloce with
    >Centaur hubs. Any other components where a change would be
    >in order?
    >

    >Thanks,
    >
    > -=Dave=-

    Hi,

    I bought Veloce with Chorus hubs. Had read some negative
    reviews about the Veloce hubs and they were a lot heavier
    than Chorus.

    My only regret is in the quality of the finish. The crank
    set for example works fine but the finish is crude. Like old
    Shimano 105, you can see the mold marks on the sides of the
    spider. But again it works well, and cost a lot less than
    Record or Chorus or even Centaur.

    Regards

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    -snip-

    Wort wrote:
    > I bought Veloce with Chorus hubs. Had read some negative
    > reviews about the Veloce hubs and they were a lot heavier
    > than Chorus.
    -snip- Yes the Veloce/Mirage hubs use simple cartridge
    bearings. Not a bad choice for a commuter or otherwise wet
    riding bike.

    The wonderful new Chorus hub is also sold as Centaur - only
    the dust cover is different, which is why the price is
    within $10 . Weight difference is in the skewers. Record is
    the same hub, but for Ti pawls.

    The new big bearing retainer and the new larger cone are the
    same part front and rear , Record, Chorus, Centaur . That
    hub series may be opened with only an allen or a
    screwdriver. The cone slides like the Aheadset top race.
    It's open, easy to clean (no pressed caps) and my be
    adjusted in the bicycle. Nice design.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  8. crystal_tears_

    crystal_tears_ New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    Just calculated the difference in weight between Centaur 2004 and Veloce 2004. Comes to a grand total of 0.242 lbs so i wouldn't worry too much on that score.
    These are the weights of the Campag 2004 groupsets :

    Xenon : 6.120 lbs
    Mirage : 6.085 lbs
    Veloce : 5.731 lbs
    Centaur : 5.489 lbs
    Chorus : 5.146 lbs
    Record : 4.490 lbs

    For what it's worth i decided, after much pondering, to buy last years Centaur 9 speed groupset for my new bike. Picked it up for only slightly more than the new Veloce costs. The Centaur has a better finish than Veloce, is slightly lighter, has better Ergo levers and a superior chainset. Though i use a Veloce cassette to keep the cost down.

    Don't like the idea of 10 speed. The cassette costs more, the chain is thinner and therefore not as strong as the 9 speed, chainrings are also thinner to accomodate the chain. Couldn't justify spending another 250 pound on the Chorus for a more polished finish either.

  9. crystal-<< The Centaur has a better finish than Veloce, is
    slightly lighter, has better Ergo levers and a superior
    >><BR><BR> << chainrings are also thinner to accomodate the
    chain. >><BR><BR>

    Centaur levers are the same as Veloce save the hole in the
    shifter and the big ring is offset towards the small rig for
    10s but the same thickness as 9s....

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  10. crystal_tears_

    crystal_tears_ New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    Sorry to be pedantic but according to Campag's website Centaur ergos are derived from the Record levers unlike Veloce. They also have light alloy levers the same as Chorus. The holes in the middle aren't there just for cosmetic purposes..oh no ! but are incorporated into the design to save vital grams lol
    Centaur chainrings are Ultra Drive which, according to the advertising blurb, increases resistance to wear and reduces chain attrition as compared to the older Exa Drive on Veloce.
    Front derailleur on Centaur has anti friction insert to make changes a little smoother.
    All in all i think paying the extra for Centaur over Veloce is well worth it.

  11. John Retchford

    John Retchford New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2004
    This statement that 10 speed chains are weaker than 9 speed chains has been made several times on rec.bicycles.tech. Is it really true? You say that the 10 speed chain is "thinner" and therefore weaker. I thought it was just narrower. Are the side plates thinner? I have never handled a 10v chain.

    I assumed that the strength of a chain was set by the tensile strength of its side plates, the shear strength of the material pushed inwards from the side plates to form the bushing for the rollers or by the shear strength of the pins. Providing the strength of the plates and the pins is maintained, I find it hard to see why making the chain narrower would reduce its strength. Does Mr Tears or anyone else know?

    John Retchford

  12. John Retchford

    John Retchford New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2004
    The statement that 10 speed chains are weaker than 9 speed chains has been made several times on rec.bicycles.tech. Is it really true? You say that the 10 speed chain is “thinner” and therefore weaker. I thought it was just narrower. Are the side plates made of thinner material? I have never handled a 10v chain.

    I assume that the strength of a chain is set by the tensile strength of the plates, the shear strength of the material pressed inwards to form the bushes for the rollers, or the shear strength of the pins. If the material in the plates and pins remains the same, I find it hard to see why making the chain narrower would make it weaker. Does Mr Tears or anyone else know?

    John Retchford

  13. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    crystal_tears_ wrote:

    > Just calculated the difference in weight between Centaur
    > 2004 and Veloce 2004. Comes to a grand total of 0.242 lbs
    > so i wouldn't worry too much on that score. These are the
    > weights of the Campag 2004 groupsets :
    >
    > Xenon : 6.120 lbs Mirage : 6.085 lbs Veloce : 5.731 lbs
    > Centaur : 5.489 lbs Chorus : 5.146 lbs Record : 4.490 lbs
    >
    > For what it's worth i decided, after much pondering, to
    > buy last years Centaur 9 speed groupset for my new bike.
    > Picked it up for only slightly more than the new Veloce
    > costs. The Centaur has a better finish than Veloce, is
    > slightly lighter, has better Ergo levers and a superior
    > chainset. Though i use a Veloce cassette to keep the
    > cost down.
    >
    > Don't like the idea of 10 speed. The cassette costs more,
    > the chain is thinner and therefore not as strong as the 9
    > speed, chainrings are also thinner to accomodate the
    > chain. Couldn't justify spending another 250 pound on the
    > Chorus for a more polished finish either.
    >

    > --

    Logical, mostly. Centaur does share the neat Chorus hubs.
    Where did you see an Ergo difference besides the cutout?

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  14. rmartin

    rmartin New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2003
    One other point regarding Veloce/Centaur. I have had 3 Veloce bottom brackets and all of them started making a noise like a bag of spanners in a washing machine after about 1500 miles. Worth upgrading the bracket to Chorus if you can - the design of that is basically Record without the carbon bits.

    Anyone else had problems with the Veloce/Centaur bottom bracket?

  15. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    crystal_tears_ <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
    > Sorry to be pedantic but according to Campag's website
    > Centaur ergos are derived from the Record levers unlike
    > Veloce. They also have light alloy levers the same as
    > Chorus. The holes in the middle aren't there just for
    > cosmetic purposes..oh no ! but are incorporated into the
    > design to save vital grams lol Centaur chainrings are
    > Ultra Drive which, according to the advertising blurb,
    > increases resistance to wear and reduces chain attrition
    > as compared to the older Exa Drive on Veloce. Front
    > derailleur on Centaur has anti friction insert to make
    > changes a little smoother. All in all i think paying the
    > extra for Centaur over Veloce is well worth it.

    This is interesting. It was my understanding that the
    difference between Chorus and Centaur Ergo levers is that
    the Chorus has the Ball Bearing System (pivots on a BB),
    while the Centaur pivoted on a bushing. Performance-wise,
    there doesn't appear to be any difference. If the Veloce
    shifters use the same bushing pivots that the Centaur has,
    and not the "ball bearing" used in the Chorus, wouldn't the
    Veloce shifter be closer to Centaur?

  16. crystal_tears_

    crystal_tears_ New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    Well i'm only quoting info from the official Campagnolo website. Very interesting it is too.

  17. rmartin-<< One other point regarding Veloce/Centaur. I have
    had 3 Veloce bottom brackets and all of them started making
    a noise like a bag of spanners in a washing machine after
    about 1500 miles. Worth upgrading the bracket to Chorus if
    you can >><BR><BR>

    Record/Chrous are 102mm spindle, Centaur and below are
    111mm.

    If installed correctly the Ac-H work fine for years..

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  18. crystal-<< Well i'm only quoting info from the official
    Campagnolo website. Very interesting it is too. >><BR><BR>

    Replace the shift lever with the one with a hole in it-
    Centaur. innards are the same as are the innards, like the
    disc, springs, etc in Chorus and record.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  19. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:02:20 GMT, rmartin
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone else had problems with the Veloce/Centaur
    >bottom bracket?

    Zero problem with an AC-H/Daytona/Centaur bb in single or
    tandem for over 20,000 miles.