05 dawmatic is comparable to?

drumbum

New Member
Oct 15, 2004
I know you've heard this many MANY times, but im trying to figure out some bike equivalents to a Kona Dawmatic. Any ideas?

Thanks!

drumbum wrote:
> I know you've heard this many MANY times, but im trying to figure out
> some bike equivalents to a Kona Dawmatic. Any ideas?

Never heard it even once.

Bill "got Google?" S.

B i l l S o r n s o n said:
drumbum wrote:
> I know you've heard this many MANY times, but im trying to figure out
> some bike equivalents to a Kona Dawmatic. Any ideas?

Never heard it even once.

Bill "got Google?" S.

I'm such a loser....it's actually DAWGMATIC:
http://konaworld.com/2k4bikes/2K5BIKES/2k5_dawgmatic.cfm

Drumdum says:

>I'm such a loser....

;-) We figured that out...

The good news is, you can redeem yourself. Most here have BTDT and recovered.

Steve "speaks from experience"

"drumbum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> so any suggestions?
>

> --
> drumbum

Any other bike with 4" suspension. It's designed for cross country riding.
A friend has a dawg deluxe which he loves. it's a do a bit of everything
type bike.

>Subject: 05 dawmatic is comparable to?
>From: drumbum [email protected]
>Date: 11/7/2004 2:28 PM Eastern Standard Time
>

>so any suggestions?
>

>--
>drumbum

Every manufacturer has a 5 to 6 inch travel bike these days that is meant for
borderlline XC to more aggressive trail riding.

I just bought a used Kona Bear (2002) which was, more or less, the model
renamed the Dawgmatic. I took it out today for its first ride, through the
Pine Barrens, though it's built for more aggressive terrain. Kona calls it
their "Back Country" bike; the frame is in a niche between their
full-suspension XC bikes and their really robust downhill and freeride
bikes. The Bear (and Dawgmatic) should do quite well on moderately hilly
terrain with lots of roots and rocks. It will do better on the downhill than
on the uphill. The Bear's riding position is more upright than that of a XC
racing bike. The Bear also has a heftier frame. It's not for sprinting or
rapid climbing. The full suspension absorbs some of the pedaling energy; a
better rear shock might fix that. The last time I rode the Pine Barren
trails was on a hardtail; my legs were significantly more tired after a day
of riding the full-suspension Bear than they were on the hardtail. At one
point, I hopped onto my son's Trek 8000 and he took the Bear; I sprinted and
the Trek felt almost weightless beneath me after several hours on the Bear.

Comparable (not in price or looks or style, but maybe in geometry, riding
position, terrain niche): Ellsworth Id.
Timo

"drumbum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> so any suggestions?
>

> --
> drumbum

drumbum <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> so any suggestions?

Specialized Enduro, Santa Cruz Heckler, Giant VT1, the new Giant Reign.
I'm sure there are plenty of others. These weigh around 30lbs , with 5-6"
of travel ('05 new Dawgs have been increased to 5" rear travel btw).

I have an '03 Dawg Deluxe and I really like it. It's my first full
suspension bike, though, so I can't really compare it to others.