`05 Specialized Tarmac Comp

leslierc8853

Sep 11, 2004
Happy holidays! I ordered an `05 Specialized Tarmac Comp today; delivery will be in January. Has anyone had any experience with the Tarmac? BTW, I tested an S-Works Tarmac - an awesome bike! - VERY expensive.

leslierc8853 said:
Happy holidays! I ordered an `05 Specialized Tarmac Comp today; delivery will be in January. Has anyone had any experience with the Tarmac? BTW, I tested an S-Works Tarmac - an awesome bike! - VERY expensive.

Did you take delivery on you bike? If so, what do you think? I'm thinking about a Tarmac Pro.

Thanks,

Mike

When i was looking to purchase a new bike few months ago i test rode a comp. i didn't care for it, it felt dead big and bulky. the top tube reminds me of an old Schwinn cruiser. it did ride over bumps nice.

zaskar said:
When i was looking to purchase a new bike few months ago i test rode a comp. i didn't care for it, it felt dead big and bulky. the top tube reminds me of an old Schwinn cruiser. it did ride over bumps nice.

I test rode one and thought it was nice. How long was your test ride? Did you just not like the bike as a whole, or just the looks?

I think Carbon definitely has a different feel than Steel or Aluminum that would take some getting used to.

mwbyrd said:
I test rode one and thought it was nice. How long was your test ride? Did you just not like the bike as a whole, or just the looks?

I think Carbon definitely has a different feel than Steel or Aluminum that would take some getting used to.

Well what could have made a big differance, the bike was to big they didn't have one in my size. i rode a 56 cm and i ride a 52cm (53.5cm top tube).
also i was use to an Aluminum frame with Mavic Sls. i rode the bike for about 30 min. is what i didn't like about it was it didn't respond well to the efforts i was putting to it.

zaskar said:
Well what could have made a big differance, the bike was to big they didn't have one in my size. i rode a 56 cm and i ride a 52cm (53.5cm top tube).
also i was use to an Aluminum frame with Mavic Sls. i rode the bike for about 30 min. is what i didn't like about it was it didn't respond well to the efforts i was putting to it.
Zaskar,

I think we experienced the same thing. The Tarmac I test rode was too big. I also felt that it wasn't as reactive as the Allez I rode (which was a size to small). I'm thinking that the reason the bikes didn't feel as responsive is because they are a little too big and the carbon changes the feel of the bike. I know I felt a little slower on the bike, but at the end of the ride, we all usually go all out and I was flying. Several guys couldn't hold my wheel and I didn't feel as though I was working as hard as I usually do.

I found a 58 today and sat on it in the store. Guess what, it felt just about perfect. I have a feeling it'll make the bike feel much more responsive.

Decisions, Decisions....

mwbyrd said:
Did you take delivery on you bike? If so, what do you think? I'm thinking about a Tarmac Pro.

Thanks,

Mike

I ended up going back and getting the S-Works Tarmac. Because of weather and work-related travel, I've only had a couple of rides on the bike. This bike is scary fast!

leslierc8853 said:
I ended up going back and getting the S-Works Tarmac. Because of weather and work-related travel, I've only had a couple of rides on the bike. This bike is scary fast!
Dang...S-Works, huh? Sweet. I'm thinking I'll probably get the Tarmac Pro. Right now I can justify the different Frame. Do you think the S-Works is that much better than the standard Tarmac?

Mike

mwbyrd said:
Dang...S-Works, huh? Sweet. I'm thinking I'll probably get the Tarmac Pro. Right now I can justify the different Frame. Do you think the S-Works is that much better than the standard Tarmac?

Mike

I never got the chance to try out the Tarmac, so I can't give you an answer regarding how they compare. I know that the Tarmac is 100% carbon fibre, whereas the S-Works is aluminum + carbon. It was the S-Works that got my attention in the first place - I liked the look and feel of the frame. It was when I saw the price of the S-Works that I shifted my focus to the Tarmac. Fortunately, I lucked into some extra change after the holidays and ran all the way to the LBS to get my S-Works.

leslierc8853 said:
I never got the chance to try out the Tarmac, so I can't give you an answer regarding how they compare. I know that the Tarmac is 100% carbon fibre, whereas the S-Works is aluminum + carbon. It was the S-Works that got my attention in the first place - I liked the look and feel of the frame. It was when I saw the price of the S-Works that I shifted my focus to the Tarmac. Fortunately, I lucked into some extra change after the holidays and ran all the way to the LBS to get my S-Works.
Gotcha. I think the new S-Works is 100% carbon and you can get a E5 Tarmac that is 50/50 (Alum/Carbon). I'm in the same boat trying to decide between the S-Works Tarmac and standard Tarmac. I wonder if I could really notice that much difference?

I'll talk to the guys at the shop tomorrow.

mwbyrd said:
Gotcha. I think the new S-Works is 100% carbon and you can get a E5 Tarmac that is 50/50 (Alum/Carbon). I'm in the same boat trying to decide between the S-Works Tarmac and standard Tarmac. I wonder if I could really notice that much difference?

Actually it's the other way around - the S-Works is aluminum and carbon. The technology of this bike is amazing; layer upon layer of carbon fiber and many hours of labor to build. Visit the Specialized Website, there's a lot of information on the composition of this bike and how it's built. I'll be interested in learning your feelings after you've made your comparison.

leslierc8853 said:
mwbyrd said:

Actually it's the other way around - the S-Works is aluminum and carbon. The technology of this bike is amazing; layer upon layer of carbon fiber and many hours of labor to build. Visit the Specialized Website, there's a lot of information on the composition of this bike and how it's built. I'll be interested in learning your feelings after you've made your comparison.
I don't think I was clear. There's an S-works E5 Tarmac (Alum/Carbon) and S-Works Tarmac (all Carbon), and the standard Tarmac.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?sid=05SWorks&JServSessionIdroot=gmgawusalw.j27010

Choices....

mwbyrd said:
I don't think I was clear. There's an S-works E5 Tarmac (Alum/Carbon) and S-Works Tarmac (all Carbon), and the standard Tarmac.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?sid=05SWorks&JServSessionIdroot=gmgawusalw.j27010

Choices....
Gotcha. Mine is the E5 Dura Ace. The aluminum-carbon, to me, is the best of all worlds - durable, strong and light-weight. I also own an all-carbon Kestrel Talon (Dura Ace) and an aluminum/carbon fork Giant TCR3 (Ultegra) - I think I'm pretty well set as far as variety is concerned. If I recall correctly, the E5 weighs even less than the all-carbon Tarmac. I hope you'll have the opportunity to test them both.

leslierc8853 said:
Gotcha. Mine is the E5 Dura Ace. The aluminum-carbon, to me, is the best of all worlds - durable, strong and light-weight. I also own an all-carbon Kestrel Talon (Dura Ace) and an aluminum/carbon fork Giant TCR3 (Ultegra) - I think I'm pretty well set as far as variety is concerned. If I recall correctly, the E5 weighs even less than the all-carbon Tarmac. I hope you'll have the opportunity to test them both.
Hmmm....I know you don't have much time on the new bike, but which one do you like the best?

And how's the ridinging in Silver Springs? I grew up in NOVA (Woodbridge/Lake Ridge). Of course, I'm in San Diego now and not complaining!!

mwbyrd said:
Hmmm....I know you don't have much time on the new bike, but which one do you like the best?

And how's the ridinging in Silver Springs? I grew up in NOVA (Woodbridge/Lake Ridge). Of course, I'm in San Diego now and not complaining!!
Right now, I have to say that I like the Kestrel best. However, I haven't had time to ride any of them so far this year. I'm on my last week of travel for the job. I've been traveling since January 24th; that plus the fact that the weather has been terrible when I've been at home on the weekends has limited my riding to the Kestrel, since it's the one on the trainer. New Years Day was fantastic weather at 65 degrees and I did about 10 miles on the S-Works, since I had just gotton it. When the weather breaks I plan to do my first real ride of `05, about 35 miles through Rock Creek Park, on the Kestrel. I just put Dura Ace components and Topolino wheels on that bike and I like the way it has been feeling (albeit on the trainer). This weekend, the forecast at home is temperatures in the low 40s with snow showers. Maybe I'll get to the park by the end of March. By the way, I'm in Kansas City now and the wind is howling! I wish I was in SD!

leslierc8853 said:
Right now, I have to say that I like the Kestrel best. However, I haven't had time to ride any of them so far this year. I'm on my last week of travel for the job. I've been traveling since January 24th; that plus the fact that the weather has been terrible when I've been at home on the weekends has limited my riding to the Kestrel, since it's the one on the trainer. New Years Day was fantastic weather at 65 degrees and I did about 10 miles on the S-Works, since I had just gotton it. When the weather breaks I plan to do my first real ride of `05, about 35 miles through Rock Creek Park, on the Kestrel. I just put Dura Ace components and Topolino wheels on that bike and I like the way it has been feeling (albeit on the trainer). This weekend, the forecast at home is temperatures in the low 40s with snow showers. Maybe I'll get to the park by the end of March. By the way, I'm in Kansas City now and the wind is howling! I wish I was in SD!
Hmm...then why the new bike?