'05 Trek Madone 5.2 or '04 5200?

Baldrick

Oct 4, 2004
I'm curious if anyone has ridden these two bikes what your impressions of them is.

I have test ridden an '05 Madone 5.2 and it is fantastic. The frame absorbs the hard bumps, yet feels extremely stiff and accelerates like a rabbit up hills. This bad boy is one sweat ride. But there are no 5200 bikes in the area to compare against.

There is an '04 5200 at a dealer about 2 hours drive away (none of the local dealers have them) for about US$1000 cheaper than the Madone. I was wondering if there was much of a difference between the frames on these bikes, as to whether it was worth my while going for the drive to test it, or just get the Madone from the local guy. I prefer to buy locally for support and service, but with such a large price difference for what appear to be very similar bikes (the frame and upgrade from 9sp to 10sp Ultegra are the main changes), is the Madone worth the extra grand?

Just got a Madone 5.2. I love it. Its worth the extra dough.

Baldrick said:
I'm curious if anyone has ridden these two bikes what your impressions of them is.

I have test ridden an '05 Madone 5.2 and it is fantastic. The frame absorbs the hard bumps, yet feels extremely stiff and accelerates like a rabbit up hills. This bad boy is one sweat ride. But there are no 5200 bikes in the area to compare against.

There is an '04 5200 at a dealer about 2 hours drive away (none of the local dealers have them) for about US$1000 cheaper than the Madone. I was wondering if there was much of a difference between the frames on these bikes, as to whether it was worth my while going for the drive to test it, or just get the Madone from the local guy. I prefer to buy locally for support and service, but with such a large price difference for what appear to be very similar bikes (the frame and upgrade from 9sp to 10sp Ultegra are the main changes), is the Madone worth the extra grand?

I just upgraded from my 5200 to the Madone SL. It's definitely a better riding frame, but I wouldn't say $1000 worth.

Baldrick said:

If the $1000 savings appeals to you, I'd think it would be worth your while to test ride the 5200. Believe it's at least as smooth as the Madone.