08 specialized rockhopper or 08 specialized hardrock

mtbCarLo

Sep 5, 2007
they said that hardrock is stronger, but the new rockhopper has the new m4 alloy. they said its much stronger and lighter. I want a bike that is strong enough to carry me (180lbs.)

mtbCarLo said:
they said that hardrock is stronger, but the new rockhopper has the new m4 alloy. they said its much stronger and lighter. I want a bike that is strong enough to carry me (180lbs.)
If you can afford the Rockhopper, go with that. It's plenty strong enough for 180lbs, plus it's lighter and should be higher spec. I'm over 200lbs and have 2004 m4 Stumpjumper, and I assume the new Rockhopper frame is pretty much the same as the Stumpjumper frame was a couple of years ago.

I agree. The rockhopper is way better. My friend has a '07 rockhopper sport (very stiff frame for the price). The component lineup on the '08 rockhopper is SRAM, and you get avids Juicy 3s versus the bb5s on the hardrock. Someone said the hardrock is a beefier, more downhill like frame, but ive tried one and its just dead weight. Rockhopper or Hardrock is like Frontier or Mesa (schwinn). The Hardrock is for if you like commute to work and your bike sees the trails maybe once a month, but the Rockhopper is for off-road performance. The rockhopper is mostly like stumpy, but not a race version. YOur best bet is to head to your local bike shop and ask them.
Glad i could help