'09 Cannondale Bad Boy

entigy

Aug 11, 2010
Hi there.
First post from a new UK 'forumite' :D

I have been using the above bike for the last few months, but earlier this week the left-side pedal worked loose and subsequently fell off ! :eek:
(See attached jpeg).

The thread inside the crank arm has worn completely smooth and the pedal will no longer screw back in. (This is my own fault from when I first attached it - I tried to tighten it in the wrong direction, so I've probably cross-threaded it.)

Anyway, I've e-mailed the shop who supplied the bike and been told that I need special tools to remove the crank arm and/or get the bike to a Cannondale dealer who may repair it under warranty.

I dare say I shall have to pay for a new part (seeing as I 'broke' it), even though the bike is less than 12 months old, but that's not a problem as long as I can get it fixed.

So the questions I have are:
What toolkit do I need to remove the arm and what is the correct procedure ?
Is there a list of Cannondale dealerships in the UK, so I can locate the nearest ?

If there is anyone with experience of these bikes and can offer help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

You need is a pedal wrench to get the other pedal off.

Then to get the crank bolt off you need either a 8mm or 10mm, depending on your bike's crank.

Then you need a crank remover, or also called a crank puller. You can get a universal crank puller that works on both square taper and splined cranks. Then to operate the universal crank puller you will need an adjustable wrench.

All three tools can be purchased at your LBS.

If you are doing the install as well then you will need a torque wrench that reads in inch pounds.

Procedure wise Park Tools, who makes great bicycle tools by the way, has detailed information on how to this and other repairs at: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

And another site for detailed repair info is: http://bicycletutor.com/

I don't believe in buying tool kits by the way, because tool kits will give you tools you probably already have around the house, and they will give you tools that either won't work on anything on your bike or you will never use. It's best to buy tools as a need to have basis.

If you concede that the damage to your crank arm is your fault then having your bike properly repaired at your LBS may be another option for you to consider. Any reputable bike shop would have no problem fixing this for you. The cost involved in obtaining the torque wrench and crank arm puller may exceed the labor charged to replace your crank arm.

Hi,
You need a set of allen keys and a cranks extractor to get your crank off. If your pedals dont have an Allen drive in the end of the axle you'll need a 15mm spanner. Spare L/H cranks are available for the isoflow chainset. Alternatively your LBS could put a helicoil repair into your existing crank. I suspect a new crank is the cheaper option.

Thanks for all the info.

I only want to remove the crank bolt and fit a new arm..... so after a bit more research I'm now looking at a Park Tool CCW5 Crank Wrench to remove the bolt (approx £10-12), and a new left-hand crank for approx £15.

I just hope I can remove the old arm, and that it's no more then a 'five-minute job' :eek:

Suggest you don't try DIY. It's a 5 minute job for a trained mechanic with the specialized tools and knowledge, but as you've already learned, it's easy to ruin things on a bike. Also, no point to invest in any expensive tools that you'll likely never need again.

A Cannondale dealer won't charge you much labor for this small job....suggest you see your nearest dealer and let them take care of it for you. Believe you can find dealer locations by going to the Cannondale website.

wooliferkins said:
Hi,
You need a set of allen keys and a cranks extractor to get your crank off. If your pedals dont have an Allen drive in the end of the axle you'll need a 15mm spanner. Spare L/H cranks are available for the isoflow chainset. Alternatively your LBS could put a helicoil repair into your existing crank. I suspect a new crank is the cheaper option.
A helicoil is alright for a temporary repair. As a Tool and Die Maker for over 30 years I have installed hundreds of helicoils. The mechanic would need a fixture to hold the crank arm by the tapered or splined mounting hole and be able to drill and tap the worn hole perfectly parallel to the bottom bracket on the centerline of the crank arm. Helicoils also work best in blind holes they tend to work their way out of through holes. Helicoils are very useful and sometimes offer greater thread strenght than the base material which they are mounted into.:cool:

dhk2 said:
Suggest you don't try DIY. It's a 5 minute job for a trained mechanic with the specialized tools and knowledge, but as you've already learned, it's easy to ruin things on a bike. Also, no point to invest in any expensive tools that you'll likely never need again.

A Cannondale dealer won't charge you much labor for this small job....suggest you see your nearest dealer and let them take care of it for you. Believe you can find dealer locations by going to the Cannondale website.

Thanks for the vote of confidence......:rolleyes:

As it turned out, it was merely a five-minute job.
Used a Park Tools wrench to remove the bolt, and then a Park Tools crank puller to remove the arm.
Fitted a new arm, re-attached the pedal (making sure to tighten it to the front of the bike ;) ) and job done !

entigy said:

Used a Park Tools wrench to remove the bolt, and then a Park Tools crank puller to remove the arm.
Fitted a new arm, re-attached the pedal (making sure to tighten it to the front of the bike ;) ) and job done !
Good Job back on the bike enjoy! This was the best repair senario. :rolleyes:

entigy said:

That's what I said was all you needed. It's a simple job, and with the sites I gave you it made it even easier to understand. Then about 5 minutes and your done; I knew you could do it.