09 Marin Portofino vs '10 Specialized Allez

manny00

Jun 6, 2010
I have enough money saved up for the Allez. But the Marin portofino is 25-30% of $750. So its looking around $570 for the portofino. I have tested the Allez and I really like how it feels. Ive read reviews about it and theyre are almost all good reviews. On the other hand I havent seen one review on the web about the portofino. Whats so special about a natural fitting bike? Which one woudl hold its value down the road? Any advice woudl be good. thanks

Very few bikes hold their value "down the road" unless their a rare handmade bike by a well known frame builder like Sachs for example; so don't let that guide you into a purchase. Either of those bikes will depreciate about 50% per year!!! Your buying a bike to ride and to use, not for a future investment.

As far as which bike to get, I think you already answered that one yourself. You felt comfortable on the Specialized so I would get that one. If you buy a bike just because of components or name or whatever and your not comfortable on it then your not going to ride it and it becomes an expensive piece of garage art!!

I bought a '08 Portofino on clearance this past winter. Most comfortable road bike I've ever ridden. The Portofino is designed and marketed as more of a "comfort" road bike, mine has an adjustable rise stem and a suspension seatpost like on a hybrid. I think they did away with the suspension post for the '09 models but the adj stem is still on them. The frame is stiff yet still comfy and the carbon fork is a nice one. The components are normal lower mid level Sora. They work fine but nothing fancy. It is a nice bike for longer rides and half centuries because it does not beat you up at all.
To me this is more like what a modern sports touring roadbike would be. I am very happy with it but it does have some "Fred" qualities to it:p

I think the Specialized is a little more of a performance oriented bike.
I would say if you want great fit and comfort with a little less speed, get the Portofino.
If you want something that you do club rides on with your buddies who are somewhat serious roadie types get the Specialized.

Chainringtattoo said:
I bought a '08 Portofino on clearance this past winter. Most comfortable road bike I've ever ridden. The Portofino is designed and marketed as more of a "comfort" road bike, mine has an adjustable rise stem and a suspension seatpost like on a hybrid. I think they did away with the suspension post for the '09 models but the adj stem is still on them. The frame is stiff yet still comfy and the carbon fork is a nice one. The components are normal lower mid level Sora. They work fine but nothing fancy. It is a nice bike for longer rides and half centuries because it does not beat you up at all.
To me this is more like what a modern sports touring roadbike would be. I am very happy with it but it does have some "Fred" qualities to it:p

I think the Specialized is a little more of a performance oriented bike.
I would say if you want great fit and comfort with a little less speed, get the Portofino.
If you want something that you do club rides on with your buddies who are somewhat serious roadie types get the Specialized.

Hey thanks for that post. That was very helpful abd exactly what I was looking for.