1-1/8" fork

Joe

Guest
Why did bike manuf. go with 1-1/8" forks, why not 1.5" ? Thanks

"ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Because you can make more money in frame/part upgrades by going to 1-1/8 first and then 1.5"
>
> The current trend I hate is oversized stems/handlebars. This stuff both costs more and weighs more
> than the common 1-1/8.

I meant to say the current standard (26.2mm?)

> "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Why did bike manuf. go with 1-1/8" forks, why not 1.5" ? Thanks

Maxhr-<< Why did bike manuf. go with 1-1/8" forks, why not 1.5" ?

Great question, when MTBs were wallowing around with 1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, why not
1.5 inch??

(2)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo) wrote:

> Maxhr-<< Why did bike manuf. go with 1-1/8" forks, why not 1.5" ?
>
> Great question, when MTBs were wallowing around with 1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, why not
> 1.5 inch??

Peter's being sarcastic. He knows the horrible truth:

http://www.onepointfivestandard.com/

Very informative site. The worst part is that the new standard probably is justifiable given the
ludicrous loads long-travel forks and big hits put through the headset. It's like a bottom bracket
with a 3-foot lever on it.

"Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Why did bike manuf. go with 1-1/8" forks, why not 1.5" ?

There are 1-1/4" forks already which is pretty big. It is just overkill for a bicycle. The larger
size is used on tandems.

More directly to your question, no particular reason. Steerers have been one inch, 25mm, 1-1/8,
1-1/4 and a few dare-to-be-dfferent other diameters. If you feel there is a market, by all means
make some and see if they sell. Chalo can be your test rider to seeif they are strong enough!