1/2 ironman traing help needed

Tom

Guest
Hi I hope to enter a 1/2 ironman in Sept and need some basic advice on training. 15 years ago I did
2 internation distance races and was able to finish, my times were not great but completeing the
course was more important to me. I recently bought a book "Tri Training Bible" it was an informative
book but much to complicated for me. The last time I trained is was to work up to 4 times the race
distance in a given week so I was able after a couple of months to train to the point of r 25m s 4m
and bike 100m in a week and back off to 2 times up to 3 etc. Would this kind of training work for a
1/2 ironman distance? I bought a heart monitor and have a basic understanding of the intervals but
was looking for a 16-20 week type log of hours and miles etc as a guide to being in good enough
shape to finish. Does anyone have advice on a 4-6 month program that is a little simpler. I want to
be able to finish and do my best I dont have to win the race. I still r/b/s but not in an orgainized
way. Thanks in advance tjm

see www.trinewbies.com for good training plans.

"tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi I hope to enter a 1/2 ironman in Sept and need some basic advice on training. 15 years ago I
> did 2 internation distance races and was able to finish, my times were not great but completeing
> the course was more important to me. I recently bought a book "Tri Training Bible" it was an
> informative book but much to complicated for me. The last time I trained is was to work up to 4
> times the race distance in a given week so I was able after a couple of months to train to the
> point of r 25m s 4m and bike 100m in a week and back off to 2 times up to 3 etc. Would this kind
> of training work for a 1/2 ironman distance? I bought a heart monitor and have a basic
> understanding of the intervals but was looking for a 16-20 week type log of hours and miles etc as
> a guide to being in good enough shape to finish. Does anyone have advice on a 4-6 month program
> that is a little simpler. I want to be able to finish and do my best I dont have to win the race.
> I still r/b/s but not in an orgainized way. Thanks in advance tjm

I'll second that endorsement. trinewbies.com is a great resource for new triathletes or triathletes
changing from one distance to another.

Harry