1/2 ironman traing help needed

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Tom, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi I hope to enter a 1/2 ironman in Sept and need some basic advice on training. 15 years ago I did
    2 internation distance races and was able to finish, my times were not great but completeing the
    course was more important to me. I recently bought a book "Tri Training Bible" it was an informative
    book but much to complicated for me. The last time I trained is was to work up to 4 times the race
    distance in a given week so I was able after a couple of months to train to the point of r 25m s 4m
    and bike 100m in a week and back off to 2 times up to 3 etc. Would this kind of training work for a
    1/2 ironman distance? I bought a heart monitor and have a basic understanding of the intervals but
    was looking for a 16-20 week type log of hours and miles etc as a guide to being in good enough
    shape to finish. Does anyone have advice on a 4-6 month program that is a little simpler. I want to
    be able to finish and do my best I dont have to win the race. I still r/b/s but not in an orgainized
    way. Thanks in advance tjm

    Tags:

  2. Dingo

    Dingo Guest

    see www.trinewbies.com for good training plans.

    "tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi I hope to enter a 1/2 ironman in Sept and need some basic advice on training. 15 years ago I
    > did 2 internation distance races and was able to finish, my times were not great but completeing
    > the course was more important to me. I recently bought a book "Tri Training Bible" it was an
    > informative book but much to complicated for me. The last time I trained is was to work up to 4
    > times the race distance in a given week so I was able after a couple of months to train to the
    > point of r 25m s 4m and bike 100m in a week and back off to 2 times up to 3 etc. Would this kind
    > of training work for a 1/2 ironman distance? I bought a heart monitor and have a basic
    > understanding of the intervals but was looking for a 16-20 week type log of hours and miles etc as
    > a guide to being in good enough shape to finish. Does anyone have advice on a 4-6 month program
    > that is a little simpler. I want to be able to finish and do my best I dont have to win the race.
    > I still r/b/s but not in an orgainized way. Thanks in advance tjm

  3. I'll second that endorsement. trinewbies.com is a great resource for new triathletes or triathletes
    changing from one distance to another.

    Harry