1/2 marathon in six weeks. Help

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Hazell, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. Hazell

    Hazell Guest

    My training was going well, and I had reserved my place in a half marathon
    on 10th October.

    But then we found we had to move house suddenly and I have spent the last
    four weeks decorating/packing/panicking and have hardly managed to fit in a
    run.

    Now I'm ready to get back to it, I would like as much advice as possible

    My aim is to finish, I'm not concerned with times. At the moment I can run
    for about an hour to an hour and a half, but I think I am very slow, so I
    reckon that an hour and a half may be about 5 miles but I don't know for
    sure as my pedometer is cheap and lousy and can record a two mile difference
    on the same run on different days. I'm working on the lower option, but
    hoping for the best!

    How many times can I go out in a week and how quickly can I increase my
    mileage without risking injury

    I don't want to pull out of this as I am raising money for Motor Neurone
    disease, which my mother suffers from

    Thanks

    Hazell

    Tags:

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hazell,

    Forget the pedometer. Take the car and measure a circular course of about 4
    miles in your neighborhood. Run one loop every Tues and Thur and two loops
    on Sat or Sun this week and next (walk a little if you have to but do the
    two loops) then on Sept 25/26 run three loops (again walk if need be) than
    back to one loop for Oct 2/3. Each time you run time it and calculate your
    minutes per mile. Be sure to take water and something to eat like an energy
    bar on all long runs. In the race don't exceed the minutes per mile that
    you can comfortably do and You should be fine.

    Good luck,

    Bob
    "Hazell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My training was going well, and I had reserved my place in a half marathon
    > on 10th October.
    >
    > But then we found we had to move house suddenly and I have spent the last
    > four weeks decorating/packing/panicking and have hardly managed to fit in

    > run.
    >
    > Now I'm ready to get back to it, I would like as much advice as possible
    >
    > My aim is to finish, I'm not concerned with times. At the moment I can

    run
    > for about an hour to an hour and a half, but I think I am very slow, so I
    > reckon that an hour and a half may be about 5 miles but I don't know for
    > sure as my pedometer is cheap and lousy and can record a two mile

    difference
    > on the same run on different days. I'm working on the lower option, but
    > hoping for the best!
    >
    > How many times can I go out in a week and how quickly can I increase my
    > mileage without risking injury
    >
    > I don't want to pull out of this as I am raising money for Motor Neurone
    > disease, which my mother suffers from
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Hazell

  3. Hazell

    Hazell Guest

    Thanks for the advice

    Hazell

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:pb8%[email protected]
    > Hazell,
    >
    > Forget the pedometer. Take the car and measure a circular course of about

    4
    > miles in your neighborhood. Run one loop every Tues and Thur and two

    loops
    > on Sat or Sun this week and next (walk a little if you have to but do the
    > two loops) then on Sept 25/26 run three loops (again walk if need be) than
    > back to one loop for Oct 2/3. Each time you run time it and calculate

    your
    > minutes per mile. Be sure to take water and something to eat like an

    energy
    > bar on all long runs. In the race don't exceed the minutes per mile that
    > you can comfortably do and You should be fine.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Bob
    > "Hazell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > My training was going well, and I had reserved my place in a half

    marathon
    > > on 10th October.
    > >
    > > But then we found we had to move house suddenly and I have spent the

    last
    > > four weeks decorating/packing/panicking and have hardly managed to fit

    in
    > > run.
    > >
    > > Now I'm ready to get back to it, I would like as much advice as possible
    > >
    > > My aim is to finish, I'm not concerned with times. At the moment I can

    > run
    > > for about an hour to an hour and a half, but I think I am very slow, so

    > > reckon that an hour and a half may be about 5 miles but I don't know

    for
    > > sure as my pedometer is cheap and lousy and can record a two mile

    > difference
    > > on the same run on different days. I'm working on the lower option, but
    > > hoping for the best!
    > >
    > > How many times can I go out in a week and how quickly can I increase my
    > > mileage without risking injury
    > >
    > > I don't want to pull out of this as I am raising money for Motor Neurone
    > > disease, which my mother suffers from
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Hazell

  4. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    Hazell wrote:
    > My training was going well, and I had reserved my place in a half marathon
    > on 10th October.
    >
    > But then we found we had to move house suddenly and I have spent the last
    > four weeks decorating/packing/panicking and have hardly managed to fit in a
    > run.
    >
    > Now I'm ready to get back to it, I would like as much advice as possible
    >
    > My aim is to finish, I'm not concerned with times. At the moment I can run
    > for about an hour to an hour and a half, but I think I am very slow, so I
    > reckon that an hour and a half may be about 5 miles but I don't know for
    > sure as my pedometer is cheap and lousy and can record a two mile difference
    > on the same run on different days. I'm working on the lower option, but
    > hoping for the best!
    >
    > How many times can I go out in a week and how quickly can I increase my
    > mileage without risking injury
    >
    > I don't want to pull out of this as I am raising money for Motor Neurone
    > disease, which my mother suffers from
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Hazell

    October 10th is less than 6 weeks away.

    Glad I could help.

    (you can do it).

  5. ProfWdesk1

    ProfWdesk1 Guest

    well, sounds like you should be able to cover the distance okay ... try a
    little cross traing so you do not over work you supporting muscles ... I would
    stationary bike for a total of 40 to 60 minutes per week ... you can get that
    in by 2 workouts of 30 min or 20 min ... lift weights a little ... and have fun
    .... add walking to your training ... and maybe some quicker runs of 20 minutes
    or so ...