1:20 -- where was everybody?

TimC

Guest
What a great day. Everybody racing? Mostly unfamiliar faces at the
1:20 today, with a few newbies.

There was a newbie in team phonak gear. He rides there often, but
never with the bike life guys.

I left home feeling shite. Got to bikelife almost falling off the
bike asleep. Windy, squally, but once in the peleton it was mostly
good.

Got to 1:20, and team phonak starts driving. We're not going a bad
pace -- quite sustainable, and possibly a tad quicker than usual.
Most of the peleton sticks together, but people start dropping off on
the false flat. Get to 400m from the top, I wait for a car to pass,
then sprint. No one follows. What? How can I win uncontested? And
GPL didn't see it! Beat my PB by about 49 seconds -- nice leadout :)
Just before the Fin line, I pass my boss who I thought only ever rode
beach road. Not in his team bumble bee colours, this time we are
wearing matching team Amy's Ride. Exchange greetings at the top, then
I make my way to the cafe. At the cafe, make smalltalk with a guy
visiting from singapore, who's largest hill is 800m long (and hence he
blew up a km after the start; Also first time I've been called a
mountain goat), and it turns out he used to sell supercomputers to my
boss. And they missed each other probably passing in different
directions down the hill. Damn.

Everyone else seems to want to go gently back down, so I get off the
front, and prove how bad a descender I am, so singaporian guy takes
the lead and makes the rest suffer. Nice ride, despite the wind and
bitter coldness.

Stats: minhr 39, just before leaving (I had it in the mode to beep
outside E1, and as soon as it registered, I noticed the very slow
beep; it told me 45 and decreasing. It only started to increase again
when I started getting worried I was dead). I think 17:10 is going to
be my departing PB for the climb.

--
TimC
Disclaimer: Due to feline interference, this post may contain typographical

pfffttt excxuses! Unless it's your death bed you should be out there!!(and even then, what have you got to loose?;)) Cheesecake + Cream @ Ripe is great for recovery...

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:27:44 +0000, TimC wrote:

> What a great day. Everybody racing? Mostly unfamiliar faces at the
> 1:20 today, with a few newbies.
>
> There was a newbie in team phonak gear. He rides there often, but
> never with the bike life guys.
>
> I left home feeling shite. Got to bikelife almost falling off the
> bike asleep. Windy, squally, but once in the peleton it was mostly
> good.
>
> Got to 1:20, and team phonak starts driving. We're not going a bad
> pace -- quite sustainable, and possibly a tad quicker than usual.
> Most of the peleton sticks together, but people start dropping off on
> the false flat. Get to 400m from the top, I wait for a car to pass,
> then sprint. No one follows. What? How can I win uncontested? And
> GPL didn't see it! Beat my PB by about 49 seconds -- nice leadout :)
> Just before the Fin line, I pass my boss who I thought only ever rode
> beach road. Not in his team bumble bee colours, this time we are
> wearing matching team Amy's Ride. Exchange greetings at the top, then
> I make my way to the cafe. At the cafe, make smalltalk with a guy
> visiting from singapore, who's largest hill is 800m long (and hence he
> blew up a km after the start; Also first time I've been called a
> mountain goat), and it turns out he used to sell supercomputers to my
> boss. And they missed each other probably passing in different
> directions down the hill. Damn.
>
> Everyone else seems to want to go gently back down, so I get off the
> front, and prove how bad a descender I am, so singaporian guy takes
> the lead and makes the rest suffer. Nice ride, despite the wind and
> bitter coldness.
>
> Stats: minhr 39, just before leaving (I had it in the mode to beep
> outside E1, and as soon as it registered, I noticed the very slow
> beep; it told me 45 and decreasing. It only started to increase again
> when I started getting worried I was dead). I think 17:10 is going to
> be my departing PB for the climb.

What is this ride of which you speak?

--

phillip brown

"**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

On 2006-08-20, Phillip Brown (aka Bruce)
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:27:44 +0000, TimC wrote:
>
>> What a great day. Everybody racing? Mostly unfamiliar faces at the
>> 1:20 today, with a few newbies.

> What is this ride of which you speak?

http://www.boroondarabug.org/pages/rides.htm

Search for "Sassafras Ride"

--
TimC
double value; /* or your money back! */

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 02:33:04 +0000, TimC wrote:

> On 2006-08-20, Phillip Brown (aka Bruce)
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:27:44 +0000, TimC wrote:
>>
>>> What a great day. Everybody racing? Mostly unfamiliar faces at the
>>> 1:20 today, with a few newbies.

>> What is this ride of which you speak?

> http://www.boroondarabug.org/pages/rides.htm
>
> Search for "Sassafras Ride"

Ta. now all I need to do is lose about 5kg....

On 2006-08-21, Phillip Brown (aka Bruce)
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 02:33:04 +0000, TimC wrote:
>
>> On 2006-08-20, Phillip Brown (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>> What is this ride of which you speak?

>> http://www.boroondarabug.org/pages/rides.htm
>>
>> Search for "Sassafras Ride"

> Ta. now all I need to do is lose about 5kg....

Why's zat? We're not all mountaingoats, you know :)

--
TimC
Brown's Theorem (Physics III student, Usyd):