1.25" tires for Mavic 221 rims

Michael Tordoff

Guest
Hi:

My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
1.25" tires but they are a ***** to get on and off. We've tried Panaracer and Tom Slick brands
and they are both an extremely tight fit. How tight are they? Well, the last time we fixed a flat
we broke two plastic tire levers in the process. The tire beading is pressed against the rim
strip so hard it is difficult to get anything plastic underneath it that is strong enough to lift
it over the rim.

Does anybody know of a tire brand that is a looser fit?

Please note that this is not operator error. I've changed tires on other rims at least a hundred
times and they are not as tight as the Mavic 221s.

Mike Tordoff Philadelphia

"Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi:
>
> My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
> 1.25" tires but they are a ***** to get on and
off.
> We've tried Panaracer and Tom Slick brands and they are both an extremely tight fit. How tight are
> they? Well, the last time we fixed a flat we broke two plastic tire levers in the process. The
> tire beading is pressed against the rim strip so hard it is difficult to get anything plastic
> underneath it that is strong enough to lift it over the rim.
>
> Does anybody know of a tire brand that is a looser fit?
>
> Please note that this is not operator error. I've changed tires on other rims at least a hundred
> times and they are not as tight as the Mavic 221s.
>
> Mike Tordoff Philadelphia

I have seen what you are talking about on a century ride last summer (with a different tire and rim
combination). That would drive me nuts. Not that I get that many flats, but when I do, I like to be
able to change them without any tools other than a pump. I use Tioga City Slickers, CyclePro, and
Vitoria Roadster 150 on three different set of rims. Each mount easily. Each is labeled 1.50" but
the Vitoria Roadster 150 is quite a bit larger and heavier than the other two. I also used Avocet
tires of this size in the past with very good results. I wonder if there aren't some rims that are
larger than specified sizes on the bead. I have seen what you are talking about on a century ride
last summer. I wish I hadn't Thrown out the FIR rims that had weak eyelets. I could have sent you
one to see if it is a rim or tire issue. You might want to see if it is a rim issue. Can you try
these same tires on another 26"rim? The brands you mention are quality and have good quality
control. You might also want to check how the rim tape is set in the box cavity.

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

"Michael Tordoff" writes:

> My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
> 1.25" tires...
[snip]

I have the same rims, with Avocet FasGrip City/K1.25 slicks. No problems mounting or dismounting,
just like any other tire.

http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/carbon12_specs.html

Available with either a foldable kevlar bead, or a conventional wire bead- I'm using the latter. It
has been some people's experience that a kevlar beaded tire is more difficult to mount.

Likely there are different grades of tire lever, too.

FWIW, Nicholas Grieco

i had the same problem with some panaracers. it used to take me 30mins to change the tyre. however i
one of my climbing mates with big strong fingers changed the tyre without any trouble, just with
strenght. so maybe we both just need to do finger strenghtening!

panda

"Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi:
>
> My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
> 1.25" tires but they are a ***** to get on and
off.
> We've tried Panaracer and Tom Slick brands and they are both an extremely tight fit. How tight are
> they? Well, the last time we fixed a flat we broke two plastic tire levers in the process. The
> tire beading is pressed against the rim strip so hard it is difficult to get anything plastic
> underneath it that is strong enough to lift it over the rim.
>
> Does anybody know of a tire brand that is a looser fit?
>
> Please note that this is not operator error. I've changed tires on other rims at least a hundred
> times and they are not as tight as the Mavic 221s.
>
> Mike Tordoff Philadelphia

"Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi:
>
> My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
> 1.25" tires but they are a ***** to get on and off. We've tried Panaracer and Tom Slick brands and
> they are both an extremely tight fit. How tight are they? Well, the last time we fixed a flat we
> broke two plastic tire levers in the process. The tire beading is pressed against the rim strip so
> hard it is difficult to get anything plastic underneath it that is strong enough to lift it over
> the rim.
>
> Does anybody know of a tire brand that is a looser fit?

Tires and rims can have small variations created during manufacturing. It's probable that you
have a "small" tire paired with a "large" rim. Since different tires fit tight, perhaps the rim
is oversize.

It's interesting that you say that the tire bead is pressed against the rim strip- how thick is the
rim strip? If it's the wide Velox type, perhaps you should replace it with a thinner one. In extreme
cases, you can substitute fiberglass reinforced strapping tape- very strong and very thin.

FWIW: I've had a set of 1.25" Tioga City Slicker tires on Mavic 231 rims. I could mount/remove
without using any tools.

Jeff