1.25" tires for Mavic 221 rims

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael Tordoff, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Hi:

    My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
    1.25" tires but they are a bitch to get on and off. We've tried Panaracer and Tom Slick brands
    and they are both an extremely tight fit. How tight are they? Well, the last time we fixed a flat
    we broke two plastic tire levers in the process. The tire beading is pressed against the rim
    strip so hard it is difficult to get anything plastic underneath it that is strong enough to lift
    it over the rim.

    Does anybody know of a tire brand that is a looser fit?

    Please note that this is not operator error. I've changed tires on other rims at least a hundred
    times and they are not as tight as the Mavic 221s.

    Mike Tordoff Philadelphia

    Tags:

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi:
    >
    > My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
    > 1.25" tires but they are a bitch to get on and
    off.
    > We've tried Panaracer and Tom Slick brands and they are both an extremely tight fit. How tight are
    > they? Well, the last time we fixed a flat we broke two plastic tire levers in the process. The
    > tire beading is pressed against the rim strip so hard it is difficult to get anything plastic
    > underneath it that is strong enough to lift it over the rim.
    >
    > Does anybody know of a tire brand that is a looser fit?
    >
    > Please note that this is not operator error. I've changed tires on other rims at least a hundred
    > times and they are not as tight as the Mavic 221s.
    >
    > Mike Tordoff Philadelphia

    I have seen what you are talking about on a century ride last summer (with a different tire and rim
    combination). That would drive me nuts. Not that I get that many flats, but when I do, I like to be
    able to change them without any tools other than a pump. I use Tioga City Slickers, CyclePro, and
    Vitoria Roadster 150 on three different set of rims. Each mount easily. Each is labeled 1.50" but
    the Vitoria Roadster 150 is quite a bit larger and heavier than the other two. I also used Avocet
    tires of this size in the past with very good results. I wonder if there aren't some rims that are
    larger than specified sizes on the bead. I have seen what you are talking about on a century ride
    last summer. I wish I hadn't Thrown out the FIR rims that had weak eyelets. I could have sent you
    one to see if it is a rim or tire issue. You might want to see if it is a rim issue. Can you try
    these same tires on another 26"rim? The brands you mention are quality and have good quality
    control. You might also want to check how the rim tape is set in the box cavity.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  3. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    "Michael Tordoff" writes:

    > My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
    > 1.25" tires...
    [snip]

    I have the same rims, with Avocet FasGrip City/K1.25 slicks. No problems mounting or dismounting,
    just like any other tire.

    http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/carbon12_specs.html

    Available with either a foldable kevlar bead, or a conventional wire bead- I'm using the latter. It
    has been some people's experience that a kevlar beaded tire is more difficult to mount.

    Likely there are different grades of tire lever, too.

    FWIW, Nicholas Grieco

  4. Panda

    Panda Guest

    i had the same problem with some panaracers. it used to take me 30mins to change the tyre. however i
    one of my climbing mates with big strong fingers changed the tyre without any trouble, just with
    strenght. so maybe we both just need to do finger strenghtening!

    panda

    "Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi:
    >
    > My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
    > 1.25" tires but they are a bitch to get on and
    off.
    > We've tried Panaracer and Tom Slick brands and they are both an extremely tight fit. How tight are
    > they? Well, the last time we fixed a flat we broke two plastic tire levers in the process. The
    > tire beading is pressed against the rim strip so hard it is difficult to get anything plastic
    > underneath it that is strong enough to lift it over the rim.
    >
    > Does anybody know of a tire brand that is a looser fit?
    >
    > Please note that this is not operator error. I've changed tires on other rims at least a hundred
    > times and they are not as tight as the Mavic 221s.
    >
    > Mike Tordoff Philadelphia

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi:
    >
    > My wife has a custom-made touring bike with 26" wheels that have Mavic 221 rims. She likes to use
    > 1.25" tires but they are a bitch to get on and off. We've tried Panaracer and Tom Slick brands and
    > they are both an extremely tight fit. How tight are they? Well, the last time we fixed a flat we
    > broke two plastic tire levers in the process. The tire beading is pressed against the rim strip so
    > hard it is difficult to get anything plastic underneath it that is strong enough to lift it over
    > the rim.
    >
    > Does anybody know of a tire brand that is a looser fit?

    Tires and rims can have small variations created during manufacturing. It's probable that you
    have a "small" tire paired with a "large" rim. Since different tires fit tight, perhaps the rim
    is oversize.

    It's interesting that you say that the tire bead is pressed against the rim strip- how thick is the
    rim strip? If it's the wide Velox type, perhaps you should replace it with a thinner one. In extreme
    cases, you can substitute fiberglass reinforced strapping tape- very strong and very thin.

    FWIW: I've had a set of 1.25" Tioga City Slicker tires on Mavic 231 rims. I could mount/remove
    without using any tools.

    Jeff