Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

1/4" bearings in front hub

Started by Michael Press · · Last activity · 2 posts · 446 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 June 2004
Last activity
2 June 2004
Original author
Michael Press
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
446
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I repacked the hubs of my parents' cannondale hybrids this weekend. I
    was surprised by 2 things - 1) the front cones on both bikes were
    trashed, even though the bikes have only been ridden lightly, and 2)
    the front hubs used nine 1/4" bearings like rear hubs (as do the rear
    hubs on these bikes).

    I assume this is to simplify the design and manucturing of the hubs -
    the front and rears take the same races and cones. Off to the LBS for
    8 new cones...

    These are Coda brand hubs (model 500 or 700 IIRC from the cannondale
    tech site).

    Michael

  2. Quoted message said:

    I repacked the hubs of my parents' cannondale hybrids this weekend. I
    was surprised by 2 things - 1) the front cones on both bikes were
    trashed, even though the bikes have only been ridden lightly, and 2)
    the front hubs used nine 1/4" bearings like rear hubs (as do the rear
    hubs on these bikes).

    I assume this is to simplify the design and manucturing of the hubs -
    the front and rears take the same races and cones. Off to the LBS for
    8 new cones...

    These are Coda brand hubs (model 500 or 700 IIRC from the cannondale
    tech site).

    Michael

    Your parents' bikes' hubs were probably not adjusted properly or not
    lubricated adequately. Many shops do neither of these things; they
    simply assemble the bike as quickly as possible and out the door they go.

    --
    Ted Bennett
    Portland OR

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.