$1,400 to spend on a Road Bike - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Yellow, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Yellow

Yellow New Member

I'm just starting to get back into cycling and have been looking at a few new road bikes. My budget is $1,400 tops. There seems to be countless different bikes out there and i'm having trouble choosing. I've managed to narrow it down to the following

- Azzurri Tigre 2007 Model
    - Felt F80
    - Scott Speedster S40 CD

Are these good bikes for the price?

Would one be a lot better than the other?

Can anyone recommend a better bike in the same price range?

Also, I can get my hands on a new 2005 model Sintesi Bike (from Italy I understand) with Tiagra group set for $1,400. How would that compare with the other bikes.

Thanks for your help :)

Tags:

2. zorly

zorly New Member

Not sure about the models you mention, but it might be worth looking into a used bike also.
    There are a lot of nice ones out there that never really got used much.

3. JeffreyJ

JeffreyJ New Member

You really get what you pay for, it really comes down to personal preference. Some bikes will be slightly heavier than others in that same price range, or their geometry will differ slightly, and of course frame material and componentry will differ... But I have yet to discover a genuinely superior or inferior bike in terms of price.
    I payed 1400 for a Jamis Quest and absolutely love it. I looked online at bikes for a month or two before deciding. It has a reynolds 631 steel frame which is a pound heavier than aluminum bikes of the same price, but steel is more graceful, absorbant, longer lasting, and just better looking than aluminum.
    I also really like the Quest's versatility, it is made for speed, but being a steel bike with the proper eylets, it can make a suitable touring bike. Anyways, it seems you already have a good idea of what bike you want, and I say test ride them if you can and make certain the fit is right, but other than that pick the one you feel best about.
    Cheers

4. dommyk

dommyk New Member

Hi Yellow

Did u end up buying either of the 3 bikes that you had mentioned?

Im in the same boat as you at the moment, conisdering the f80 and the azzurri tigre. just wanted to see what you chose and your evaluation on it.

Cheers

5. rparedes

rparedes New Member

Personal preference: i would look for a 10 speed rear cassette, 105 group.
    Felts have more of a racing geometry (more aggressive position) I almost bought one. I ended up with more of a compact geometry and slightly more up-right position (Giant OCR) so I would ride one if you can before you buy. It depends on the kind of riding you intend to do.

6. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

I concur with the 10-speed cassette. You might be able to live without full Shimano 105. And, yes, Felt F-series geometry is more aggressive, in a traditional Euro-pro sense--the angles are somewhat slack and the head tube is definitely not extended. If you look around, you might be able to find an all-carbon F5C with a mix of Ultegra, 105, and Tiagra, for well under $2K.