1.5 years later, regretting mtn bike purchase, want a road bike

lava

Feb 16, 2005
I'm totally regretting purchasing a mountain bike now, and I think I'm going to sell it and get a road bike. I would spend up to $1000. What kind of bike do you guys recommend? Are there any brands that you consider to be good value for the money, or conversely, brands you think are junk?

lava said:
I'm totally regretting purchasing a mountain bike now, and I think I'm going to sell it and get a road bike. I would spend up to $1000. What kind of bike do you guys recommend? Are there any brands that you consider to be good value for the money, or conversely, brands you think are junk?
Don't sell the MTB even if you do get a new roadie. You'll regret that later too.

I agree with the good doctor, do NOT sell your MTB. Having both a road and a mountain bike has come in handy many a time. If you do sell it, I think you will later regret it. Remember, mountain biking doesn't necessarily mean doing crazy stuff on some trail in the middle of nowhere. I bike on city bike paths that are gravel, I pull a child trailer, I go on casual rides to get ice cream, etc. all with my mountain bike. Besides, you can never have too many. Now in addition to my road and MTB, I want a track bike, or maybe a cyclocross, or maybe single speed. Basically the bike companies get a big chunk of my disposable income (at least the part that's OK with my wife). As far as brands, etc. get what speaks to you. For 1k you will get a good bike no matter what you get. Try Giant, Cannondale, Trek, Fuji, Jamis, Lemond, etc. Go to roadbikereview.com and look at reviews at the price point you've picked out, but remember to go with fit and just what you like. Ride happy!

My first bike 18 months back was a MTB.

By 6 months it has new shifters, wheels, slicks, crmo forks and resembled a flat bat road bike.

At that time I bought a Flat Bar Road Bike, Felt SR81, I have only changed the seat and pedals. I have had it for 12 months and recently changed the rear cassette to give me closer ratios, 13-23.

At 15 months, after selling the MTB to a budding triathlete (yes it was quick), I bought a Trekking bike, the Felt Trevisa. Low gears, slower, fitted fenders, carrier, panniers and decided to relax and enjoy my trips to the pool and check out the scenery I was missing on the FB road bike.

It resembles a 28" MTB with nice soft suspension, semi slicks and goes ok on gravel and better on the concrete paths with joins than the road bike.

I find with 2 bikes I can enjoy the time on bikes more, yes there is a place for both. :cool:

lava said:

Check out Fuji bikes (www.fujibikes.com). I have a 2003 Fuji Roubaix that I'm quite pleased with. I got it on closeout for $799 (less pedals, etc.) from the local Performance Bike store. Fuji seems to have quite a few models that are good value for the money. The shop where I got mine has quite a few leftover '04 models that are going for great prices. I've been jonesing for a new one, but just can't quite justify upgrading at this time...

And to echo some other posts, don't sell your mountain bike. In addition to the reasons already posted, there may be times when your road bike is in the shop and you need something to ride.

wineandkeyz said:
... I got it on closeout for $*** ...
Good point.

Hey Lava, if you can hold out though Fall you will find '05 road bikes on closeout and may be able to save a few quid. Then you won't need to sell your MTB and subsequently regret it.

lava,

I agree with others above. Do not sell the MTB. I bought a good MTB about a year ago. After 6 months I had road tyres on it and thought this is crazy.. I am using the MTB as a road bike.

I then went out and bought a trek 1500 (international build) so full Ultrgra groupset. I have to say it was one of the best thigns I did. I now have a good dedicated MTB which is great fun in the bush and a road bike in which I can keep up with the club riders.

The resale value of bikes here is AU is rather **** so I decided not to sell the MTB. If somone asked me would you have prefered to spend all the $$ I spent just on 1 bike the answer would still be NO. having a bike for both disciplines is great.

Cheers Ohmic

lava said:

Why do you regret it?

lava said:
I also would not sell the Mountian bike. If you have both road and Mountain you have more oppurtunity to ride.

I would check out Specialized since they usually provide alot for the money. As someone mentioned, if you can wait until sometime around September, the 2005 models will be marked down since the 2006 models will be out. I just picked a new road bike that was a 2004 leftover and my favorite bike shop gave me a great deal which allowed me to get into a nicer ride than I hoped to.:D

Good luck.

John B.

Don't sell, unless you make a killing...

Look at the Giant OCR1...I'm not saying it will fit you better than other bikes recommended, but there is no question the components to price are better than 'just about' any other bike our there in the range (including Trek, Lemond, etc., etc.,). If it feels like **** though, keep looking.

lava said:
It looks like "lava" has left the building. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice guys. The reason I'm regretting getting the mtn bike is because I'm only riding it on the roads and should get a bike more suited to road riding.

You've all convinced me to keep the mtn bike.

Today I tried a Trek 1500, Cannondale R700, Giant OCR1, and a Specialized Allez. I know somebody at a bike shop, so I could get the Trek and Cannondale for around $200 off the regular price. I liked the Trek way better, but everybody I talk to recommends the Cannondale. I will probably go ride both again.

lava said:
Thanks for all the advice guys. The reason I'm regretting getting the mtn bike is because I'm only riding it on the roads and should get a bike more suited to road riding.
Sounds like me. I still love my MTB though and wouldn't part with it. They're still great for exploring new routes and recovery rides. I'm sure your knobbies are long worn out by now. I've found tires like these to be quite suitable for the kind of riding you've described.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=1891&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=13246&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=10304&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=15653&lsubcat_id=7565&lcat_id=7604&referpage=

You've all convinced me to keep the mtn bike.
Good decision.

Today I tried a Trek 1500, Cannondale R700, Giant OCR1, and a Specialized Allez. I know somebody at a bike shop, so I could get the Trek and Cannondale for around $200 off the regular price.
All four of those are decent bikes. I take it the Specialized Allez is the Elite model?

I liked the Trek way better, but everybody I talk to recommends the Cannondale. I will probably go ride both again.
Probably because of the CAAD7 frame. I'd bet more forum members have the 1500 than all of those other bikes combined though. That's not saying that the other bikes aren't as good, just that the 1500 is a very popular model.

lava said:

I have both a Klein hardtail mtn bike and a Cannondale road bike. I never ride the 'Dale because the Klein is so damn sweet!
I just put a rigid aluminum fork and 1.25" tires on it and it's a rocket! Mild off road is still quite doable but on road it's great! A buddy of mine does the Davis Double Century on his rigid Klein MB.

Try some skinny slicks on it - save a bundle of money and you can hunt down roadies on a MB!
:D

Doctor Morbius said:
I'm sure your knobbies are long worn out by now. I've found tires like these to be quite suitable for the kind of riding you've described.
I have already tried slicks on it. While they helped a lot, it still wasn't where I wanted it to be, especially on rides with my friends who had road bikes.

All four of those are decent bikes. I take it the Specialized Allez is the Elite model?
Yep.

Probably because of the CAAD7 frame. I'd bet more forum members have the 1500 than all of those other bikes combined though. That's not saying that the other bikes aren't as good, just that the 1500 is a very popular model.
Any reason in particular why it is more popular?

Any reason in particular why it is more popular?[/QUOTE]

I don't have all the technical facts, but I believe it's a better made frame. Most frames are butted, the Cannondale frame attaches via something similar to tounge & groove (i.e. where top tube meets head tube)...which should make for a stronger frame. However, some people ride their butted aluminum frame for years and it doesn't brake, so I'm not sure I would put this as the make-or-break...

OCR1's are absolutely fantastic. I have been commuting to work in Melbourne, Australia with mine for the last 11 months, and I have just passed 5,000km on the speedo. I commute 30km each day, 5 days a week - rain hail or shine and my blue 2004 OCR (Shimano 105) has taken it all in it's stride.

This heavy riding/commuting is what they are designed for. It is still light enough to race even the fastest commuter on the bike trail, and I often get up to 55khp on the flat.

In fact, I have just converted two of my nearby friends who also work into the city to purchase 2005 OCR1's and they now have been bitten by the bug and join me almost every day.

OCR1's are also great for entry level racing in clubs at all levels, where they will provide you with bomb proof durability until you decide you need something a kilo or couple of pounds lighter for serious racing. OCR1's weigh approx 9 kilos or 22 pounds.

I am very very happy with mine. Few tips, keep it serviced at least twice a year and gently hose off dirt, road grime with bio cleaners at least once a week. It is all in the preventative maintenance that will keep you riding the same bike for 10 years.

You cannot go wrong with an OCR1.

roadbikeman said:
OCR1's are absolutely fantastic. I have been commuting to work in Melbourne, Australia with mine for the last 11 months, and I have just passed 5,000km on the speedo. I commute 30km each day, 5 days a week - rain hail or shine and my blue 2004 OCR (Shimano 105) has taken it all in it's stride.

This heavy riding/commuting is what they are designed for. It is still light enough to race even the fastest commuter on the bike trail, and I often get up to 55khp on the flat.

In fact, I have just converted two of my nearby friends who also work into the city to purchase 2005 OCR1's and they now have been bitten by the bug and join me almost every day.

OCR1's are also great for entry level racing in clubs at all levels, where they will provide you with bomb proof durability until you decide you need something a kilo or couple of pounds lighter for serious racing. OCR1's weigh approx 9 kilos or 22 pounds.

I am very very happy with mine. Few tips, keep it serviced at least twice a year and gently hose off dirt, road grime with bio cleaners at least once a week. It is all in the preventative maintenance that will keep you riding the same bike for 10 years.

You cannot go wrong with an OCR1.
Now where have I seen THIS post before?:D