1/8 chain with 5 speed derailleur?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, Dec 22, 2007.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Ran accross someone using 1/8 chain with a 3 speed derailleur.
    It occurs to me, the sprocket to sprocket spacing on 5 speeds is still significantly wider than that chain.

    Will 1/8 chain work on 5 speed derailleurs?
    Are there certain brands that work and not others?
    Were some old 3 speed deraileurs designed for 1/8 chain?
    If so, did they typically use a wider sprocket center to center spacing than 5.3 mm?

    Will 1/8 chain work on a 5 speed cogset?
    The person used the 1/8 chain with a cyclo 3 speed freewheel.

    Tags:

  2. >Meb asked - Will 1/8 chain work on a 5 speed cogset? The person used
    the 1/8 chain with a cyclo 3 speed freewheel.

    Practically speaking, no. However those inclined toward impractical
    endeavours into the realm of McGivering say, why not?

    Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

  3. >Will 1/8 chain work on a 5 speed cogset? >The person used the 1/8 chain
    with a >cyclo 3 speed freewheel.

    ...along with the McGivered re-spaced 5 speed cog set on a say, a 6/7
    speed freewheel body, the obvious is to space the derailer cage/wheels
    and rivet the chain together (no master link)

    Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

  4. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:00:29 +1100, meb
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ran accross someone using 1/8 chain with a 3 speed derailleur.
    >It occurs to me, the sprocket to sprocket spacing on 5 speeds is still
    >significantly wider than that chain.
    >
    >Will 1/8 chain work on 5 speed derailleurs?

    Maybe, with some bushingless 1/8" chain, but why bother?

    >Are there certain brands that work and not others?
    >Were some old 3 speed deraileurs designed for 1/8 chain?

    Yes.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    meb wrote:
    > Ran accross someone using 1/8 chain with a 3 speed derailleur.
    > It occurs to me, the sprocket to sprocket spacing on 5 speeds is still
    > significantly wider than that chain.
    > Will 1/8 chain work on 5 speed derailleurs?
    > Are there certain brands that work and not others?
    > Were some old 3 speed deraileurs designed for 1/8 chain?
    > If so, did they typically use a wider sprocket center to center spacing
    > than 5.3 mm?
    > Will 1/8 chain work on a 5 speed cogset?
    > The person used the 1/8 chain with a cyclo 3 speed freewheel.

    There were indeed three speed formats in 1/2x1/8 concurrent to 1/2x3/32
    freewheels. Most 1/8 chain will foul the next sprocket and not run
    properly on a 3/32 five speed freewheel.
    Spacing the derailleur plates apart slightly is simple if needed.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. meb wrote:
    > Ran accross someone using 1/8 chain with a 3 speed derailleur.

    Possible.

    > It occurs to me, the sprocket to sprocket spacing on 5 speeds is still
    > significantly wider than that chain.
    >
    > Will 1/8 chain work on 5 speed derailleurs?

    No. 5-speed freewheels have spacing that is too narrow for 1/8" chain.

    > Are there certain brands that work and not others?

    I doubt that any 5-speed freewheels were designed for 1/8" chain. It is
    not as flexible as 3/32", as well as being wider. It could not handle
    the bad chainline.

    > Will 1/8 chain work on a 5 speed cogset?

    again, I doubt it.

    > The person used the 1/8 chain with a cyclo 3 speed freewheel.

    Some 3-speed freewheels were actually designed to be used with 3-speed
    hubs, such as a Sturmey-Archer, and so would be 1/8, since they would
    also work with the single chainring on a typical 3-speed S-A setup.
    Other 3-speed freewheels would be very, very old.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can assure you
    that mine are all greater.
    -- A. Einstein