1" carbon fork with long steerer?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Garrett Cress, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. I have an old aluminum frame produced from a certain fiscally challenged manufacturer. It is large--
    the headtube measures
    240mm. I am looking for a carbon fork with a 1" threaded chomoly steerer so I can use a Salsa quill
    stem. The problem seems to be finding one with a long enough steerer. Anyone have a name of a
    manufacturer that meets these criteria?

    Another question is if I do have to have 1" threadless then how are peoples' luck with Performance
    Forte carbon forks? Who makes these for Performance? I really don't want to spend the money on an
    expensive fork AND have to buy a headset and stem when I already have a regular headset and quill
    stem that would work just fine. Performance has a seemingly good deal on their own fork and stem
    along with a Cane Creek S-2 headset and spacer set for $170. Opinions? Thanks. --Garrett

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    If you go threadless, look into a Kestrel EMS Pro. Steel steerer, nice ride, reasonable price.

    Garrett Cress wrote:
    > I have an old aluminum frame produced from a certain fiscally challenged manufacturer. It is
    > large-- the headtube measures
    > 240mm. I am looking for a carbon fork with a 1" threaded chomoly steerer so I can use a Salsa
    > quill stem. The problem seems to be finding one with a long enough steerer. Anyone have a
    > name of a manufacturer that meets these criteria?
    >
    > Another question is if I do have to have 1" threadless then how are peoples' luck with Performance
    > Forte carbon forks? Who makes these for Performance? I really don't want to spend the money on an
    > expensive fork AND have to buy a headset and stem when I already have a regular headset and quill
    > stem that would work just fine. Performance has a seemingly good deal on their own fork and stem
    > along with a Cane Creek S-2 headset and spacer set for $170. Opinions? Thanks. --Garrett

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    The Performace carbon fork with steel steerer is fine, should work well for your needs. Measure your
    headtube to see if a 300mm steerer will be long enough. It has to have enough length for the stem,
    headset and headtube.

    How long is the headtube on you Cannondale?

    -Bruce

    "Garrett Cress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:sA%[email protected]...
    > I have an old aluminum frame produced from a certain fiscally challenged manufacturer. It is
    > large-- the headtube measures
    > 240mm. I am looking for a carbon fork with a 1" threaded chomoly steerer so I can use a Salsa
    > quill stem. The problem seems to be finding one with a long enough steerer. Anyone have a
    > name of a manufacturer that meets these criteria?
    >
    > Another question is if I do have to have 1" threadless then how are peoples' luck with Performance
    > Forte carbon forks? Who makes these for Performance? I really don't want to spend the money on an
    > expensive fork AND have to buy a headset and stem when I already have a regular headset and quill
    > stem that would work just fine. Performance has a seemingly good deal on their own fork and stem
    > along with a Cane Creek S-2 headset and spacer set for $170. Opinions? Thanks. --Garrett

  4. Enzobart

    Enzobart Guest

    Look for a Kinesis model with the 40 mm rake you probably want with a steep head angle (typical for
    large frames). The threaded steerers are available up to 260 mm, and the 300 mm unthreaded steerer
    could be threaded by the shop, if necessary. I didn't buy the Performance fork due to its 45 mm
    offset. Kestrel refuses to divulge their rake. If you want to spend $350 I believe Reynolds forks
    are available in a choice of rake to get the right trail measurement for stability. Don't remember
    what the steerers are made of...

    Pete Barton