1" carbon fork with long steerer?

Garrett Cress

Guest
I have an old aluminum frame produced from a certain fiscally challenged manufacturer. It is large--
the headtube measures
240mm. I am looking for a carbon fork with a 1" threaded chomoly steerer so I can use a Salsa quill
stem. The problem seems to be finding one with a long enough steerer. Anyone have a name of a
manufacturer that meets these criteria?

Another question is if I do have to have 1" threadless then how are peoples' luck with Performance
Forte carbon forks? Who makes these for Performance? I really don't want to spend the money on an
expensive fork AND have to buy a headset and stem when I already have a regular headset and quill
stem that would work just fine. Performance has a seemingly good deal on their own fork and stem
along with a Cane Creek S-2 headset and spacer set for $170. Opinions? Thanks. --Garrett

If you go threadless, look into a Kestrel EMS Pro. Steel steerer, nice ride, reasonable price.

Garrett Cress wrote:
> I have an old aluminum frame produced from a certain fiscally challenged manufacturer. It is
> large-- the headtube measures
> 240mm. I am looking for a carbon fork with a 1" threaded chomoly steerer so I can use a Salsa
> quill stem. The problem seems to be finding one with a long enough steerer. Anyone have a
> name of a manufacturer that meets these criteria?
>
> Another question is if I do have to have 1" threadless then how are peoples' luck with Performance
> Forte carbon forks? Who makes these for Performance? I really don't want to spend the money on an
> expensive fork AND have to buy a headset and stem when I already have a regular headset and quill
> stem that would work just fine. Performance has a seemingly good deal on their own fork and stem
> along with a Cane Creek S-2 headset and spacer set for $170. Opinions? Thanks. --Garrett

The Performace carbon fork with steel steerer is fine, should work well for your needs. Measure your
headtube to see if a 300mm steerer will be long enough. It has to have enough length for the stem,
headset and headtube.

How long is the headtube on you Cannondale?

-Bruce

"Garrett Cress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:sA%[email protected]...
> I have an old aluminum frame produced from a certain fiscally challenged manufacturer. It is
> large-- the headtube measures
> 240mm. I am looking for a carbon fork with a 1" threaded chomoly steerer so I can use a Salsa
> quill stem. The problem seems to be finding one with a long enough steerer. Anyone have a
> name of a manufacturer that meets these criteria?
>
> Another question is if I do have to have 1" threadless then how are peoples' luck with Performance
> Forte carbon forks? Who makes these for Performance? I really don't want to spend the money on an
> expensive fork AND have to buy a headset and stem when I already have a regular headset and quill
> stem that would work just fine. Performance has a seemingly good deal on their own fork and stem
> along with a Cane Creek S-2 headset and spacer set for $170. Opinions? Thanks. --Garrett

Look for a Kinesis model with the 40 mm rake you probably want with a steep head angle (typical for
large frames). The threaded steerers are available up to 260 mm, and the 300 mm unthreaded steerer
could be threaded by the shop, if necessary. I didn't buy the Performance fork due to its 45 mm
offset. Kestrel refuses to divulge their rake. If you want to spend $350 I believe Reynolds forks
are available in a choice of rake to get the right trail measurement for stability. Don't remember
what the steerers are made of...

Pete Barton