(1) Cost of undervests ? (2) Breakfast v. Parking

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alex Noel-Tod, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. Does anyone have opinions (or even facts) on 'best buys' for cycling undervests ?

    I've seen (and had commendations of) the Briko Coolmax undervest (presently listed on Wiggle at
    21.99 for sleeveless & 24.25 for shortsleeved). Better price ? Better garment ?

    I recently bought Decathlon's own label version (sleeveless) while wandering around their shed on
    the outskirts of Boulogne, and find it pretty good as a summer wicking undervest. That cost approx
    £15. What is it in the UK ?

    Alex

    P.S. - to start an entirely different thread - I haven't seen on this NG (maybe I've missed) any
    mention of free breakfasts on Bike to Work day (Wed) this week. Ours was pretty good value in
    quantity/variety for a £1.50 voucher (certainly better value, pro rata, than what I had to fork
    out for at a pretentious but gastronomically-vacuous pub restaurant that evening when
    'celebrating' my birthday). Pity it's only once a year. As a tax-free perk the University
    (payroll of c.2000) is allowed to give away 100 breakfasts ! Previous years they've been
    oversubscribed, but this year - despite perfect cycling weather - only 89 takers apparently.
    Average commuting distance to University was 2.5 miles, so I reckon I was probably at the head
    of the queue for claiming one of the 11 second helpings (commute in 16.2 miles). Interestingly,
    an email has just come round announcing the new staff carparking charges for next academic
    year. Looks like the free breakfast is going to be more than cancelled out by the £1.50 p.d.
    charge (taxed income). To beat my present car/bike system (I pay 9.18 pm of taxed income to
    have weekday parking) I shall have to increase my average of two days' p.w. cycle commute to
    more like four weekdays... bring on those breakfasts

    Tags:

  2. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have opinions (or even facts) on 'best buys' for cycling undervests ?
    >
    > I've seen (and had commendations of) the Briko Coolmax undervest (presently listed on Wiggle at
    > 21.99 for sleeveless & 24.25 for shortsleeved). Better price ? Better garment ?
    >
    > I recently bought Decathlon's own label version (sleeveless) while wandering around their shed on
    > the outskirts of Boulogne, and find it pretty good as a summer wicking undervest. That cost approx
    > £15. What is it in the UK ?

    I bought a Decathlon one in the UK and I think it was about £19 - however I don't like it that much
    - it's thin and scratchy - the undervest that I have that I do like is from Parrot - it's long
    sleeved, not sure of the model name, it was a bit more money but is superb quality.

    RG

    >> snip

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Alex Noel-Tod wrote:
    > Does anyone have opinions (or even facts) on 'best buys' for cycling undervests ?
    >
    > I've seen (and had commendations of) the Briko Coolmax undervest (presently listed on Wiggle at
    > 21.99 for sleeveless & 24.25 for shortsleeved). Better price ? Better garment ?

    Only a very slightly better effective-price on the Briko sleevless: £22.50 + £2.50 postage from
    www.parker-international.co.uk/clothing.htm (Wiggle's postage is £3.99). It is good and I would
    avoid any normal-type under garment (ie. with smaller holes!) for summer use.

    You could enquire at http://www.prendas.co.uk to see if they have anything similar (even if not
    listsed on website).

    ~PB

  4. Andy P

    Andy P Guest

    "Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Does anyone have opinions (or even facts) on 'best buys' for cycling undervests ?
    >
    > I've seen (and had commendations of) the Briko Coolmax undervest (presently listed on Wiggle at
    > 21.99 for sleeveless & 24.25 for shortsleeved). Better price ? Better garment ?
    >
    > I recently bought Decathlon's own label version (sleeveless) while wandering around their shed on
    > the outskirts of Boulogne, and find it pretty good as a summer wicking undervest. That cost approx
    > £15. What is it in the UK ?

    Can remember my girlfriend getting some cheap Peter Storm coolmax vests from Millets or somewhere
    like that. About £9 at the time I think.

  5. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have opinions (or even facts) on 'best buys' for cycling undervests ?

    I bought an Altura long sleeved "base layer" last year which has proved excellent over the winter.
    About 20 squid IIRC.

    Pete

  6. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > Does anyone have opinions (or even facts) on 'best buys' for cycling undervests ?

    I bought a Craghoppers Tshirt in Coolmax type fabric which is also insect repellent from Gaynors in
    Ambleside at Easter. Riding in the Lakeland forests in last weeks heat was comfortable and the shirt
    didnt pong in the pub or in the car on the way home. Cant remember the price. Mike

  7. Andy P

    Andy P Guest

    "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I bought a Craghoppers Tshirt in Coolmax type fabric which is also insect repellent from Gaynors
    > in Ambleside at Easter. Riding in the Lakeland forests in last weeks heat was comfortable and the
    > shirt didnt pong in the pub or in the car on the way home. Cant remember the price.

    Have you been in any situation to check its insect repellent qualities yet? I've got a couple of
    their Tshirts from the pre "Nosquito" days and I'd say they're my favourite out of the various ones
    I've tried.

  8. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Andy P <[email protected]> writes
    >"Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Does anyone have opinions (or even facts) on 'best buys' for cycling undervests ?

    >Can remember my girlfriend getting some cheap Peter Storm coolmax vests from Millets or somewhere
    >like that. About £9 at the time I think.

    Got one (with zip) from Blacks on Thursday - UKP18. I think they had other Peter Storm ones
    for UKP14.

    I also got a Craghopper Nosquito top for UKP20. There were similar items from North Face at around
    the UKP30 mark.

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com