1" forks in 1 1/8" frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pete Biggs, May 28, 2003.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?

    Just checking - I think the answer is no.

    thanks ~PB

    Tags:

  2. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?
    >
    > Just checking - I think the answer is no.

    The answer is "yes". Chris King and Problem Solvers (QBP), I think.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  3. Yes there are!

    Wheels Mfg. makes them. Have your LBS look them up in the United catalogue. They are on page 91 of
    the new 2003 catalogue.

    The reducers fit into the headtube allowing a 1 inch headset to be installed.

    Bruce

    > Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?
    >
    > Just checking - I think the answer is no.
    >
    > thanks ~PB

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?
    >
    > Just checking - I think the answer is no.

    Sure. They are readily available and cheap. I turned a set for an unusual bike on my lathe in
    fifteen minutes. They are just a set of aluminum spacers to seat the smaller cup in a larger
    bore tube.

  5. Dax

    Dax Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 18:30:20 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?
    >>
    >> Just checking - I think the answer is no.
    >
    >Sure. They are readily available and cheap. I turned a set for an unusual bike on my lathe in
    >fifteen minutes. They are just a set of aluminum spacers to seat the smaller cup in a larger
    >bore tube.i

    i also created a set - by cutting up a pair of bb cups (english) with a cutoff wheel - removed the
    faces - then ground'em down till the threads disappeared. Worked great, too. ....that said, there
    are a million reasons why you should use the commercial products mentioned above instead - Ъ×

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "dax" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > i also created a set - by cutting up a pair of bb cups (english) with a cutoff wheel - removed the
    > faces - then ground'em down till the threads disappeared. Worked great, too. ....that said, there
    > are a million reasons why you should use the commercial products mentioned above instead - Ъ×

    Dax' clever BBcups probably work just fine. Think about it - they cannot go anywhere, they just need
    to seat the cup firmly.

    I can't think of any of the "million reasons" except convenience.

  7. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?
    >
    > Just checking - I think the answer is no.

    In the UK, SJS Cycles do them in aluminium alloy for £12.50 IIRC. I fitted a pair to my time trial
    bike, and so far so good.

    Jim Price