1" forks in 1 1/8" frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Biggs

Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?

Just checking - I think the answer is no.

thanks ~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?
>
> Just checking - I think the answer is no.

The answer is "yes". Chris King and Problem Solvers (QBP), I think.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

Yes there are!

Wheels Mfg. makes them. Have your LBS look them up in the United catalogue. They are on page 91 of
the new 2003 catalogue.

The reducers fit into the headtube allowing a 1 inch headset to be installed.

Bruce

> Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?
>
>
> thanks ~PB

>

Sure. They are readily available and cheap. I turned a set for an unusual bike on my lathe in
fifteen minutes. They are just a set of aluminum spacers to seat the smaller cup in a larger
bore tube.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

On Wed, 28 May 2003 18:30:20 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame designed for 1 1/8"?
>>
>> Just checking - I think the answer is no.
>
>Sure. They are readily available and cheap. I turned a set for an unusual bike on my lathe in
>fifteen minutes. They are just a set of aluminum spacers to seat the smaller cup in a larger
>bore tube.i

i also created a set - by cutting up a pair of bb cups (english) with a cutoff wheel - removed the
faces - then ground'em down till the threads disappeared. Worked great, too. ....that said, there
are a million reasons why you should use the commercial products mentioned above instead - Ъ×

> >"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Are there any adaptors which allow 1" forks to be used in a frame
designed
> >> for 1 1/8"?
> >>
> >> Just checking - I think the answer is no.

> On Wed, 28 May 2003 18:30:20 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Sure. They are readily available and cheap. I turned a set for an unusual bike on my lathe in
> >fifteen minutes. They are just a set of aluminum spacers to seat the smaller cup in a larger
> >bore tube.i

"dax" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> i also created a set - by cutting up a pair of bb cups (english) with a cutoff wheel - removed the
> faces - then ground'em down till the threads disappeared. Worked great, too. ....that said, there
> are a million reasons why you should use the commercial products mentioned above instead - Ъ×

Dax' clever BBcups probably work just fine. Think about it - they cannot go anywhere, they just need
to seat the cup firmly.

I can't think of any of the "million reasons" except convenience.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Pete Biggs wrote:
>

In the UK, SJS Cycles do them in aluminium alloy for £12.50 IIRC. I fitted a pair to my time trial
bike, and so far so good.

Jim Price

Status
Not open for further replies.