1" steerer in 1 1/8 headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Might want to drop a Ruby fork with 1" steerer into a 1 1/8 headset this weekend. Is there a sleeve or something that adapts those steerers to the change?

    Is there a common tubing or pipe that might be had at Home Depot if LBS don't have that as a common stock item?

    Tags:

  2. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Found em on ebay so they exist. Is that a common item that I can get at the LBS?

  3. meb wrote:
    > meb Wrote:
    > > Might want to drop a Ruby fork with 1" steerer into a 1 1/8 headset this
    > > weekend. Is there a sleeve or something that adapts those steerers to
    > > the change?
    > >
    > > Is there a common tubing or pipe that might be had at Home Depot if LBS
    > > don't have that as a common stock item?

    > Found em on ebay so they exist. Is that a common item that I can get
    > at the LBS?
    >

    > --
    > meb

    yes, from Quality Bike Parts, I have them on my Moots.

    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/feb/chisholm.htm

  4. ellis

    ellis Guest

    > meb wrote:
    > > meb Wrote:
    > > > Might want to drop a Ruby fork with 1" steerer into a 1 1/8 headset

    this
    > > > weekend. Is there a sleeve or something that adapts those steerers to
    > > > the change?
    > > >
    > > > Is there a common tubing or pipe that might be had at Home Depot if

    LBS
    > > > don't have that as a common stock item?

    > > Found em on ebay so they exist. Is that a common item that I can get
    > > at the LBS?
    > >

    > > --
    > > meb

    > yes, from Quality Bike Parts, I have them on my Moots.
    >
    > http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/feb/chisholm.htm

    What about the crown race and bearings? How would a 1" crown race fit in a
    1&1/8" headset cup?

  5. amakyonin

    amakyonin Guest

    I am not aware that there is an adapter sleeve that allows the use of
    an oversized headset on a 1" steerer. The usual way to go about this is
    to get the apropriate reducer rings *and* a 1" headset. These are
    precision parts and you cannot get suitable equivalents from a hardware
    store. Chris King also has its line of devolution headsets that adapt 1
    1/8" head tubes to 1" steerers but that's not the best option for the
    budget minded.

    You can, though, get adapter sleeves for attaching a 1 1/8" stem to a
    1" steerer. Many aftermarket 1 1/8" road stems come with these sleeves
    to accomodate the existing base of 1" threadless bikes. Any shop or
    online store that carries QBP will be able to get these for you. You
    can use the hardware store to pick up the parts you need for a homemade
    headset press. You will have to press in the rings first and then the
    1" cups.

  6. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219

    Good point. With only 1/16" in radius difference, wouldn't the bearings meet and just ride at wider parts of the races than normal on the lower races?
    Is that an issue short term with friction?
    Is that an issue long term with wear?
    This is a wheel size experiment so would only try it for 200 miles max.

    Suspect on the upper that might be just the opposite, so that might be a tight squeeze. Could I accomodate short term with smaller diameter bearings?

  7. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Does that mean it's a special order item at most shops?

  8. ellis

    ellis Guest

    "meb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > ellis Wrote:
    > > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > > headset
    > > this

    > > steerers to

    > > if
    > > LBS

    > > get

    > > > yes, from Quality Bike Parts, I have them on my Moots.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/feb/chisholm.htm
    > > >

    > > What about the crown race and bearings? How would a 1" crown race fit
    > > in a
    > > 1&1/8" headset cup?

    > Good point. With only 1/16" in radius difference, wouldn't the
    > bearings meet and just ride at wider parts of the races than normal on
    > the lower races?
    > Is that an issue short term with friction?
    > Is that an issue long term with wear?
    > This is a wheel size experiment so would only try it for 200 miles max.
    >

    > Suspect on the upper that might be just the opposite, so that might be
    > a tight squeeze. Could I accomodate short term with smaller diameter
    > bearings?
    >

    > --
    > meb

    I saw some kid bring a k-mart bike into a friend's shop. The bike didn't
    steer at all, and when my friend pulled out the threaded headset, all the
    balls fell out of the cups. It turned out some genius fit a 1" fork in a
    1&1/8" headtube (the top large nut was a 1" as well), and the wrong size
    bearing cage pitted the insides of the cups so that my friend had to tell
    the kid he had to stick a new 1&1/8" headset and a 1&1/8" fork. The kid
    wasn't too happy.

  9. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Guess it's not worth the damage risk. Thanks all.

  10. ellis wrote:

    > > yes, from Quality Bike Parts, I have them on my Moots.
    > >
    > > http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/feb/chisholm.htm
    > >

    > What about the crown race and bearings? How would a 1" crown race fit in a
    > 1&1/8" headset cup?

    They are headset reducers that push into the 1 1/8inch frame headtube
    so that you may then install a 1 inch HS. No need to change the fork
    crown race as you you are using an entire 1 inch HS, with 1 inch fork,
    in the frame.

  11. ellis

    ellis Guest

    > ellis wrote:
    >

    > > > yes, from Quality Bike Parts, I have them on my Moots.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/feb/chisholm.htm
    > > >

    > > What about the crown race and bearings? How would a 1" crown race fit

    in a
    > > 1&1/8" headset cup?

    > They are headset reducers that push into the 1 1/8inch frame headtube
    > so that you may then install a 1 inch HS. No need to change the fork
    > crown race as you you are using an entire 1 inch HS, with 1 inch fork,
    > in the frame.

    Here we go:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...dsets/Tamer-Headset-Reducer-offerIN050QB1.htm

    Not sure if this will reduce 1&1/8" to 1" . Better call or email.