1" Steerer Post Availability

Phil B

Guest
I've got a Marzocci pre 2000 Z-2 Bomber with a 1-1/8" steerer.
What is invovled and how best could I get this steerer replaced with a
1" threaded steerer ?

don't recommend you try.

the cost to replace the steerer with a custom machined component, which
is what would be necessary, would probably be prohibitive. in addition,
this new steerer would have to be steel to allow your quill to fit
[aluminum would have to be too thick in order to be strong enough]. and
interference fits between steel [steerer] & aluminum [fork crown] are
not always reliable [different coefficients of thermal expansion].

bottom line, it costs too much & could compromise safety. it's safer &
cheaper finding a frame to fit the fork than the other way around. or
buy a vintage 1" rock shox.

Phil B wrote:

> I've got a Marzocci pre 2000 Z-2 Bomber with a 1-1/8" steerer.
> What is invovled and how best could I get this steerer replaced with a
> 1" threaded steerer ?

I don't know if Marzocchi is selling these anymore -- call and ask. Otherwise,
they turn up often on eBay -- either as parts, or whole forks. You can always
mix and match to get what you want, then sell the rest.

Matt O.