1" Steerer Post Availability

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Phil B, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. Phil B

    Phil B Guest

    I've got a Marzocci pre 2000 Z-2 Bomber with a 1-1/8" steerer.
    What is invovled and how best could I get this steerer replaced with a
    1" threaded steerer ?

    Tags:

  2. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    don't recommend you try.

    the cost to replace the steerer with a custom machined component, which
    is what would be necessary, would probably be prohibitive. in addition,
    this new steerer would have to be steel to allow your quill to fit
    [aluminum would have to be too thick in order to be strong enough]. and
    interference fits between steel [steerer] & aluminum [fork crown] are
    not always reliable [different coefficients of thermal expansion].

    bottom line, it costs too much & could compromise safety. it's safer &
    cheaper finding a frame to fit the fork than the other way around. or
    buy a vintage 1" rock shox.

    Phil B wrote:
    > I've got a Marzocci pre 2000 Z-2 Bomber with a 1-1/8" steerer.
    > What is invovled and how best could I get this steerer replaced with a
    > 1" threaded steerer ?

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Phil B wrote:

    > I've got a Marzocci pre 2000 Z-2 Bomber with a 1-1/8" steerer.
    > What is invovled and how best could I get this steerer replaced with a
    > 1" threaded steerer ?

    I don't know if Marzocchi is selling these anymore -- call and ask. Otherwise,
    they turn up often on eBay -- either as parts, or whole forks. You can always
    mix and match to get what you want, then sell the rest.

    Matt O.