1" steerer too flexy for full carbon fork?

M.T.

Mar 8, 2005
I'm looking to upgrade my fork from aluminum to a full carbon, probably an Ouzo Pro, but I have a 1" headtube and I'm worried that it may not be stiff/strong enough vs. a 1 1/8" headtube/steerer?

Does anyone have any experience with full CF forks and 1" steerers?

BTW just for reference, I weigh 170 and am racing this year for the first time. Thanks all!

There is nothing to worry about. You are what they call the standard weight. That means the fork will be targetted to feel right for you plus a little margin. If I had the option I would get it in a heartbeat.

Conniebiker said:
There is nothing to worry about. You are what they call the standard weight. That means the fork will be targetted to feel right for you plus a little margin. If I had the option I would get it in a heartbeat.
That's nonsense. I've heard similar weight riders gripe about all CF steerers in 11/8".

I have a 1 inch Columbus Muscle with 30mm of spacers under the 40mm high stem. I didn't really notice any flex problems until I got onto one of my other bikes and felt the difference -- the other bike is MUCH stiffer with its threaded cro-mo steerer.

It doesn't really bother me, but since going back to my "good" bike, I now notice the flex during heavy braking.

M.T. said:
I'm looking to upgrade my fork from aluminum to a full carbon, probably an Ouzo Pro, but I have a 1" headtube and I'm worried that it may not be stiff/strong enough vs. a 1 1/8" headtube/steerer?

Does anyone have any experience with full CF forks and 1" steerers?

BTW just for reference, I weigh 170 and am racing this year for the first time. Thanks all!
I weigh 225 (+/-) and ride an Ouzo Pro Aero with a 1". It's fine for me as long as I limit the stack height to 15mm.