1" steerer tube MTB shocks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jon Fulbright, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. I've been away from good MTB country for a few years, but I now live at the foot of the San Gabriels
    near LA. My trusty Univega Alpina 5.3 is still going strong, but after a few rides (and descents!),
    I've decided that a front suspension is a needed upgrade (couldn't afford it when I lived in Santa
    Cruz). I was current on bike tech 5-7 years ago, but lost track during my exile.

    It has a 1" threadless steerer tube, so my choices seem to be either a Judy TT or a
    Marzocchi MX Comp.

    I like the MX, but the guy at the shop is telling me that I'd need to upgrade to V-brakes, but the
    online tech manual says that it can take cantilevers. If I upgrade to V-brakes, I'll have to get
    new levers and shifters, which will push the price above what I want to spend. The front shifter
    died 6 months ago, so I have a new pair of 7-speed STX combo lever/shifters that would probably
    become useless.

    So I have a few questions:

    1) Is the shop guy misinformed, or am I mis-reading the tech manual?

    2) Any opinions on the Judy TT? MX?

    3) Any other options for 1" shocks worth considering?

    Thanks!

    jf

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    "Jon Fulbright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > 1) Is the shop guy misinformed, or am I mis-reading the tech manual?

    He's right.

    Modern forks don't have a cable-stop for cantilever brakes. Canti brake levers don't pull the right
    amount of cable for V-brakes.

    I know there was a lever adapter at one time, and there may have even been a bolt-on cable stop you
    could buy. Better to buy a V-type brake & lever for the front--shouldn't cost much.

    David

  3. David wrote:
    > "Jon Fulbright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>1) Is the shop guy misinformed, or am I mis-reading the tech manual?
    >

    > He's right.
    >
    > Modern forks don't have a cable-stop for cantilever brakes. Canti brake levers don't pull the
    > right amount of cable for V-brakes.
    >
    > I know there was a lever adapter at one time,

    Look for a "Travel Agent" - that'll adapt your levers for you. Replaces the noodle, IIRC.

    > and there may have even been a bolt-on cable stop you could buy.

    You might be able to find one that fits in there with your headset/spacers.

    > Better to buy a V-type brake & lever for the front--shouldn't cost much.

    V levers and brakes won't cost much - shifters will be a bitch to find though, if he's
    still 7 speed.

    > David

    No offense, Jon, but your bike is probably not worth upgrading. A bike that old won't be suspension
    adjusted - IE, putting a suspension fork on there will raise your front end and mess with your
    geometry. The number of other changes you'd have to make, and the number of old parts you'd have to
    track down, make it better off to just ride the bike, save your cash, and buy a sweet new $400-700
    mountain bike that will have current standards and parts. You can make the bike into a singlespeed
    as your second steed and be hardcore then, too ;)

    Jon Bond

  4. David

    David Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > and there may have even been a bolt-on cable stop you could buy.
    >
    > You might be able to find one that fits in there with your headset/spacers.

    Not for a suspension fork. It has to attach to the part of the fork that holds the brakes.

  5. David wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>and there may have even been a bolt-on cable stop you could buy.
    >>
    >>You might be able to find one that fits in there with your headset/spacers.
    >

    > Not for a suspension fork. It has to attach to the part of the fork that holds the brakes.

    You are indeed right. My bad.

    You might be able to adapt one, but I wouldn't bother at this point, I think.

    Jon Bond

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Jon Fulbright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've been away from good MTB country for a few years, but
    I now live at
    > the foot of the San Gabriels near LA. My trusty Univega
    Alpina 5.3 is
    > still going strong, but after a few rides (and descents!),
    I've decided
    > that a front suspension is a needed upgrade (couldn't
    afford it when I
    > lived in Santa Cruz). I was current on bike tech 5-7
    years ago, but
    > lost track during my exile.
    >
    > It has a 1" threadless steerer tube, so my choices seem to
    be either
    > a Judy TT or a Marzocchi MX Comp.
    >
    > I like the MX, but the guy at the shop is telling me that
    I'd need to
    > upgrade to V-brakes, but the online tech manual says that
    it can take
    > cantilevers. If I upgrade to V-brakes, I'll have to get
    new levers and
    > shifters, which will push the price above what I want to
    spend. The front
    > shifter died 6 months ago, so I have a new pair of 7-speed
    STX combo
    > lever/shifters that would probably become useless.
    >
    > So I have a few questions:
    >
    > 1) Is the shop guy misinformed, or am I mis-reading the
    tech manual?

    > 2) Any opinions on the Judy TT? MX?
    >
    > 3) Any other options for 1" shocks worth considering?

    Ebay is full of them. They're definately harder to find than 1.125" forks, and in high demand, but
    there are still plenty around.

    Look for an older Judy, Manitou, or Marzocchi with a 1" steerer that takes regular cantilever
    brakes. Marzocchis are the best of these forks, and you can get a 1" steerer pressed in if it's not
    on there already. You can tell by the picture whether the fork takes old cantilevers -- it's the one
    with the bolted-on, machined brake arch. The Z2 and Atom series are probably the best ones to look
    for. Superfly/X-Fly are good too but not as common.

    Judy and SID parts are fully interchangeable, so you can use a steerer/crown assembly from a Judy TT
    or XC with whatever Judy/SID lowers and innards you want.

    I don't know as much about Manitou forks, but they're a good alternative too. Anything with the
    "TPC" innards generally performs very well. There were tons of SX model forks on new bikes, and even
    brand new, "take-off" OEM forks were selling for less than $100 a few years ago. So they're
    plentiful and cheap, as well as decent.

    The bottom line is that you should be able to find a good fork for under $100.

    Matt O.

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > No offense, Jon, but your bike is probably not worth
    upgrading. A bike
    > that old won't be suspension adjusted - IE, putting a
    suspension fork on
    > there will raise your front end and mess with your
    geometry.

    That's definately something to consider. Measure your current fork, axle to crown. If it's shorter
    than 16-16.5", it's time for a new frame.

    Matt O.

  8. Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

    > That's definately something to consider. Measure your current fork, axle to crown. If it's shorter
    > than 16-16.5", it's time for a new frame.

    You can get some suspension with a Softride stem. (Hi Jon!) It's not as much a a fork, but it takes
    the edge off the hits. This works for 1" steerers and doesn't mess up geometry. I don't think they
    are made any longer. Perhaps a call around to bike shops or an ad on rec.bicycles.marketplace would
    turn one up.

    BTW, 8 speed shifters will shift 7 speeds - the spacing is near identical - so it's not necessary to
    hunt for rare 7 speed shifters.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > He's right. Modern forks don't have a cable-stop for cantilever brakes. Canti brake levers don't
    > pull the right amount of cable for V-brakes.
    >
    > I know there was a lever adapter at one time, and there may have even been a bolt-on cable stop
    > you could buy. Better to buy a V-type brake & lever
    for the
    > front--shouldn't cost much.

    That's correct but he could go the other way - with a cantilever cable housing stop which bolts to
    the fork's brace. There are various models to fit most but not all modern forks.