1 step back 2 steps forward

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by leanman, Jan 22, 2011.

1. leanman

leanman New Member

a recovery week sucks in a way.. even though they are needed after a hard 3 week block...(3 on , 1 off)

you're going good, your 20 minute efforts improve weekly, you're 5 minute intervals are going great..

then the rest week.. a few off days a few ez days.

then your first interval workout of your new 3 week block, and you feel like a beginner, hurting like you never hurt before...

we all know that the rest of the hard efforts in the next 3 week block get ezier and ezier after the needed rest week..

but that first interval workout after the rest week just hurts!!!!

Tags:

2. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

How do you structure your recovery weeks?

I still ride on the same schedule as during regular training weeks, and still do my intervals - I just do 1/2 as many.
    That way I stay used to the intensity, but have only done 1/2 the volume.

3. leanman

leanman New Member

during my rest rest week, i always eliminate the longer ride of the week and the two interval workouts, taking 3 days off the bike and 3-4 ez days on , with each ez day being an hour.. i just figure at 56 years old and a cat 2 racer, i need the hard 3 weeks on, but on the rest week, i rest. your way sounds great, and i did this years ago, but with getting a bit older, i just take some extra rest. for all i know your way may be better than my way, but i just continue to do the 3-4 ez 1 hour rides during the rest week..