1 step closer to Aussie ProTour team

Walrus

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jan07/jan22news2

Every time this idea has come up, we kept asking the same question...where would the money come from. Now it seems there is financial interest...and we know that we have the talent to field a squad. Businessman Tony Smith has stuck his hand up to contribute 2m Euro toward an Australian ProTour team :D .

Licenses become available at the end of 2008, but as the article details...this allows time to set the team up, wait for our top riders to become available, wait for the ProTour and drug debates to be settled. So it could be all set for 2009.

Walrus said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jan07/jan22news2

Every time this idea has come up, we kept asking the same question...where would the money come from. Now it seems there is financial interest...and we know that we have the talent to field a squad. Businessman Tony Smith has stuck his hand up to contribute 2m Euro toward an Australian ProTour team :D .

Licenses become available at the end of 2008, but as the article details...this allows time to set the team up, wait for our top riders to become available, wait for the ProTour and drug debates to be settled. So it could be all set for 2009.
Ok, apart from Mr Smith, who else could you see as a possible sponsor? We need an Aussie company that woudl benefit from European exposure.. I'm thinking Fosters?

Jono L said:
Ok, apart from Mr Smith, who else could you see as a possible sponsor? We need an Aussie company that woudl benefit from European exposure.. I'm thinking Fosters?
QANTAS?

Walrus said:
Honestly there's not that many Aus companies in that league who could support a proteam, let allow who have overseas interests. Lend Lease? A large finance institution? A certain Telco? Multiplex? Nah, thing they're a bit tight for funds at the mo, but positive PR could help. :eek:

cfsmtb said:
Honestly there's not that many Aus companies in that league who could support a proteam, let allow who have overseas interests. Lend Lease? A large finance institution? A certain Telco? Multiplex? Nah, thing they're a bit tight for funds at the mo, but positive PR could help. :eek:
The money may come from various avenues. eg. a European based company with Australian ownership, or a global company with a strong Australian arm. Macquarie Bank, Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton...who knows? 6 months ago, no one could see where ANY money would come from...now we have a start.

Look at Phonak, they're exposure was trememdous...maybe Cochlear will hop on?

Walrus wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
> > Honestly there's not that many Aus companies in that league who could
> > support a proteam, let allow who have overseas interests. Lend Lease? A
> > large finance institution? A certain Telco? Multiplex? Nah, thing
> > they're a bit tight for funds at the mo, but positive PR could help. :eek:The money may come from various avenues. eg. a European based company

> with Australian ownership, or a global company with a strong Australian
> arm. Macquarie Bank, Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton...who knows? 6 months
> ago, no one could see where ANY money would come from...now we have a
> start.
>
> Look at Phonak, they're exposure was trememdous...maybe Cochlear will
> hop on?
>

> --
> Walrus

James Hardie

PiledHigher said:
Walrus wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
> > Honestly there's not that many Aus companies in that league who could
> > support a proteam, let allow who have overseas interests. Lend Lease? A
> > large finance institution? A certain Telco? Multiplex? Nah, thing
> > they're a bit tight for funds at the mo, but positive PR could help. :eek:The money may come from various avenues. eg. a European based company

> with Australian ownership, or a global company with a strong Australian
> arm. Macquarie Bank, Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton...who knows? 6 months
> ago, no one could see where ANY money would come from...now we have a
> start.
>
> Look at Phonak, they're exposure was trememdous...maybe Cochlear will
> hop on?
>

> --
> Walrus

James Hardie
Yep, and who says the company needs to be Australian? There might be a company (like BBB) who want the cycling exposure and realise that an Australian team will get it's fair share of exposure and results.

There are German teams, Italian teams, French teams, Spanish teams, American teams...Australia get results in world cycling, someone might like to cash in on that.

cfsmtb wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
> >

> > James Hardie

> Good suggestion, they seriously need positive PR, and with all the
> money they're saving from ....
>

> *ducks*
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Fauldings?

Walrus said:
Yep, and who says the company needs to be Australian? There might be a company (like BBB) who want the cycling exposure and realise that an Australian team will get it's fair share of exposure and results.

There are German teams, Italian teams, French teams, Spanish teams, American teams...Australia get results in world cycling, someone might like to cash in on that.
Any candidate sponsor needs a passionate insider who can make decisions and sign the cheques...a devotee of cycling who loves the sport, and can cope with the officialdom squabbles...big shoulders, big heart , big fists...